US Politics: Sorry, we do make the rules.

LongRider

45 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Is this 'Biden classified documents found at UPenn' thing gonna be a thing?

Yes.  Right wing folks will do a false equivalency thing, the left-wing folks will push back pointing to Trump's obstruction/lies showing malicious intent and failure to cooperate.  The litmus test here is how it affects Jack Smith decision to indict/not indict.  To be fair, both do appear to have had at least some "top secret" documents.  

He in turn will be thinking of a jury vulnerable to whataboutism, credible claims about shortcomings in NARA procedure, tangentially relevant but plausible statements of over-classification, and with its share of MAGA-sympathizers/Republicans. 

So will it turn into a case against Biden? Almost certainly not, based on what is reported. 

But it may lead to a declination or an acquittal for Trump.  The fact the DOJ has been so behind the curve/foot dragging on the Jan 6 stuff means that Smith is probably left with the Georgia investigation and the records.  And, possibly, tax fraud although I think that totally meritorious case has gotten fucked up. 

Well, in case you were wandering around thinking that bipartisanship was totally dead, I am here to prove you wrong.  A bipartisan group of 4 Senators just lobbed in an absolutely brutal letter to the bankruptcy court supporting the US trustee's motion to appoint an independent examiner in the FTX bankruptcy (denying S&C's retention request).  

https://subscriber.politicopro.com/article/2023/01/senators-take-aim-at-law-firms-role-in-ftx-bankruptcy-case-00077079

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Well, in case you were wandering around thinking that bipartisanship was totally dead, I am here to prove you wrong.  A bipartisan group of 4 Senators just lobbed in an absolutely brutal letter to the bankruptcy court supporting the US trustee's motion to appoint an independent examiner in the FTX bankruptcy (denying S&C's retention request).  

https://subscriber.politicopro.com/article/2023/01/senators-take-aim-at-law-firms-role-in-ftx-bankruptcy-case-00077079

Sullivan & Cromwell being disparaged? Surely not!

48 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Primarying Feinstein if she won't leave with some dignity.

Wasn't that seat supposed to go to a woman of color? At least I vaguely recall that being said, when Harris left the senate and her successor was Alex Padilla, who is not a woman of color. 

26 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wasn't that seat supposed to go to a woman of color? At least I vaguely recall that being said, when Harris left the senate and her successor was Alex Padilla, who is not a woman of color. 

Predetermining who gets to run for a seat based on demographics is not wise.

39 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That was only if Newsom got to appoint a replacement before 2024.

Democrat appears to flip Virginia state Senate seat in closely watched special election:

Democrat Aaron Rouse appeared to clinch the special election for Virginia’s 7th state Senate district on Tuesday in yet another victory for his party, which was already riding high from a better-than-expected midterm election.

The race was a nail-biter, with Rouse scraping by over Republican opponent Kevin Adams with less than 1 percent of the vote, according to unofficial election results. Still, the flip will be seen as a major win by the party and will expand its majority in the commonwealth’s state Senate. The split in the chamber will now stand at 22-18. 

Ex-Trump Org. CFO Allen Weisselberg sentenced to five months in jail for tax fraud
The judge said Weisselberg could have faced more time in jail had he not taken a plea deal.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/10/trump-org-weisselberg-sentenced-tax-fraud-00077285

NEW YORK — Former Trump Organization executive Allen Weisselberg was sentenced to five months in jail and five years of probation in Manhattan state court Tuesday after pleading guilty to tax fraud scheme. He has also repaid around $2 million in taxes he owed as part of the agreement.

The punishment ends a three-month trial at which Weisselberg, once chief financial officer for the real estate firm founded by former President Donald Trump, became the star witness in a separate case against the Trump Org.

What was it, that the representative was reading? 

The Silent Art of Not Giving a Fuck    ???

What bravery 

You silly-willies thought <through such exhibitive nonsense> you were being championed! Tell me, are the rich to be taxed yet or are we Not Giving a Fuck about that too? 

Long as we got the interest on some debts shifted around here in order to have lost at the midterms like slightly-less losing losers it'll all be good I'm sure. 

Archived