US Politics: Sorry, we do make the rules.

LongRider

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's why she has so much! And sneaky Nancy puts the nasty shit no one wants at the bottom on top of the secret files.

Not just sneaky, smart too!   Don't know why you posted this vid, but appreciate it as it's one of my favorite scenes from the movie.   :cool4: :cool4:

30 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Not just sneaky, smart too!   Don't know why you posted this vid, but appreciate it as it's one of my favorite scenes from the movie.   :cool4: :cool4:

Because you've got to think!

Jokes aside though, I wonder if half the people in government who have access to this shit need to hire lawyers. 

30 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Uh, isn’t she dead? Is their an ice cream fridge in the mausoleum?

Sounds like someone has kinemortophobia...

17 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So  you finally saw the light on this.

Don’t make assumptions, I love ice cream, but not as much as carrot cake.  Bad horse, no more carrots for you!

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

You ARE allowed to openly carry a gun

You ARE NOT allowed to openly carry a can of beer?

You ARE allowed to choose where to take your gun

You ARE NOT allowed to choose where you cross the street?

Yep, basically, albeit in many states it's still "concealed carry."  This was adjudicated this past summer in the Bruen case that invalidated certain states' "may issue" laws.  Actually went over this during Federalism week in my classes a few hours ago - the textbook was unusually useful in providing the example.  

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It really has and that’s the point:

If reading to children at a library is deemed as prurient than any activity will.

when you say 'the public eye' it implies that they can't go out in public.  i find the legislation abhorrent, but you over egged the pudding somewhat. 

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

when you say 'the public eye' it implies that they can't go out in public.  i find the legislation abhorrent, but you over egged the pudding somewhat. 

I know you’re not coming from a bad faith place, but I find this a bit pedantic.

trans people and gnc can go out in public so long as they present in a way that’s seen as appropriate for their assigned gender at birth.

By the same metric Gay people can exist in the public eye in Saudi Arabia so long as they make any Refrence to their sexuality.

16 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I know you’re not coming from a bad faith place, but I find this a bit pedantic.

trans people and gnc can go out in public so long as they present in a way that’s seen as appropriate for their assigned gender at birth.

By the same metric Gay people can exist in the public eye in Saudi Arabia so long as they make any Refrence to their sexuality.

but you are still acting like this is based on legislation, its not, the legislation prevents lots of things that it shouldn't but it doesn't say anything about not being fabulous in public. 

The legislation may (most certainly will) lead to people being accosted and bullied, but that's a horrendous by product, not the legislation itself. 

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

its not, the legislation prevents lots of things that it shouldn't but it doesn't say anything about not being fabulous in public. 

If a person whose been assigned male at birth merely reading to children in a dress is being openly stated by the bill’s author as something that will be made illegal. 
there’s never going to be a context where an amab wearing a dress in public will be okay.

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The legislation may (most certainly will) lead to people being accosted and bullied, but that's a horrendous by product, not the legislation itself. 

The point of the legislation is to accost and oppresss trans and gnc people.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

but you are still acting like this is based on legislation, its not, the legislation prevents lots of things that it shouldn't but it doesn't say anything about not being fabulous in public. 

It is the legislation itself because it is so broad, and thats the point. 

this is the full wording 

"Drag performance" means a performance: 2 (A) In which one (1) or more performers: 3 (i) Exhibits a gender identity that is different 4 from the performer's gender assigned at birth using clothing, makeup, or 5 other accessories that are traditionally worn by members of and are meant to 6 exaggerate the gender identity of the performer's opposite sex; and 7 (ii) Sings, lip-synchs, dances, or otherwise 8 performs before an audience of at least two (2) persons for entertainment, 9 whether performed for payment or not; and 10 (B) That is intended to appeal to the prurient interest; 11 and 12 (27) "Minor" means an individual who is less than eighteen (18) 13 years of age.

Your argument is that as bad as the law is, we should be interpreted specifically to only mean drag story time, but the law isnt specific, the law doesnt actually say that. 

No different than schools that have "no politics" policies and deem MLK shirts  or pride flags as political.

Its so broad that it can indeed include a trans person not wearing clothing that agrees with what they were assigned at birth.  A trans person would technically be violating this law if they were a teacher and song happy birthday along with the whole class or if they did the electric slide at city hall

Archived