US Politics: Sorry, we do make the rules.

LongRider

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ve done a few google searchs but does anyone have any information about potential counter protests at Trump’s visit to Columbia SC tomorrow 1/28/2023?

Thanks.

A lot of groups are going to be very reticent to share that publicly for obvious reasons, particularly if they are local.  Assuming you are not already known to them your best bet is probably to show up and find your crowd, with obvious caveats about personal safety, etc.  

Eta: mostly unrelated, i've been drafting a thread about how shitty google has become and search engine optimization for about a year now, but it just seems like a lost cause.  If you've ever tried to register a visa gift card or the like online, and you Google the card brand or whatever, often the first entries that pop up are straight-up scams.  Search for information and all you get is products.

Wasn't sure where to put this but thought it deserved an advertisement - particularly considering the recent discussion on charity - You can now sponsor refugees yourself.  Here’s how:

The Biden administration on January 19 launched the Welcome Corps, a new program that will allow groups of Americans to directly sponsor refugees to resettle in their communities.

Whereas recent programs have focused on bringing over people from specific places — Afghanistan, Ukraine, Venezuela — this program makes it possible for private citizens to resettle people from any place in the world, so long as they are refugees as defined by the US Refugee Act.

Under the Welcome Corps program, you and a few of your friends can pool together funds to provide an immigration pathway that allows vulnerable people who may not otherwise be able to immigrate the ability to rebuild their lives in the US. Forming a private sponsor group involves bringing together at least five adults in your area and collectively raising $2,275 for each person you want to resettle in your community. With that money, sponsors commit to helping them through the first three months there, which can include securing and furnishing housing, stocking the pantry with food, supporting job hunts, and registering kids for school.

Well...one rumor has it that Trump is being reinstated on Meta (Facebook). I figure he'll get himself banned by summer.

The other rumor claims that the House GOP is mulling over a 'temporary suspension' of the debt limit. (I figure that is because they are too cowardly and disorganized to agree to any cuts themselves.) They 'suspend' the debt limit until fall...that could be interesting - especially with the 'attrition' factor - at least a couple of criminal House GOP idiots are likely to find themselves behind bars by then (not counting Santos).

No point in bothering with the links.

52 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Well...one rumor has it that Trump is being reinstated on Meta (Facebook). I figure he'll get himself banned by summer.

This isn't a rumor, they announced it on Wednesday.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Wasn't sure where to put this but thought it deserved an advertisement - particularly considering the recent discussion on charity - You can now sponsor refugees yourself.  Here’s how:

It is good to see that the Feds are finally institutionalizing the process that settled the Hmong and Vietnamese refugees around Minnesota, etc. that was run by, IIRC, the Lutherans?

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It is good to see that the Feds are finally institutionalizing the process that settled the Hmong and Vietnamese refugees around Minnesota, etc. that was run by, IIRC, the Lutherans?

Another reason why immigration is a good thing, the food introduced to the Twin Cities from these two communities is amazing. Same goes for a ton of the various African food that's everywhere. Ethiopian food is a delight for example. Now I'm craving some, it's been a while.

A lot of the "local" food here is a bit odd, if I'm being honest. Guess you really have to love fish to live off of it...

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Another reason why immigration is a good thing, the food introduced to the Twin Cities from these two communities is amazing. Same goes for a ton of the various African food that's everywhere. Ethiopian food is a delight for example. Now I'm craving some, it's been a while.

A lot of the "local" food here is a bit odd, if I'm being honest. Guess you really have to love fish to live off of it...

Yep, one of the best parts of our time living in DC was the Ethiopian food options.  As for your local values, if you aren't loving lutefisk, your aren't luntinglife!

6 hours ago, horangi said:

Yep, one of the best parts of our time living in DC was the Ethiopian food options.  As for your local values, if you aren't loving lutefisk, your aren't luntinglife!

Absolutely disgusting, but then again I'm both Norwegian and Jewish and find Gefilte fish to be equally terrible. 

What It Was Like to Be a Target of Political Violence in New Mexico:

"There was a hole in my wall above my bed. And then I looked to the left, and there was a hole through the closet door—12 bullet holes total. My daughter’s room is right next to mine. And the trajectory that the bullet had, it could have grazed her head if she had been sitting up.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/01/new-mexico-political-violence-guns-linda-lopez-solomon-pena.html/

When someone shot up Linda Lopez’s house, the truth is: She didn’t even know it, and she was there. Lopez lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The shooting happened on Jan. 3. That night, she’d stayed up late with her kids, and then they’d all went to bed. It was about 1 in the morning when Lopez heard the bangs. And she assumed she knew what they were: fireworks.

Lopez’s 10-year-old daughter, Cherish, came in to her room. Cherish had her own theories about what had woken her up. She thought maybe a spider had plopped down on her face? They’d had spiders before. She’d felt something, she knew that much. “She said she’d felt some sand or dirt on her face and on her nose,” Lopez said. “And I told her, ‘Sweetheart, maybe Mom needs to clean the fan on top of the bed.’ It’s not like I’m the best housekeeper in the world, so I thought maybe that’s something that needs to happen.”

Then, they went back to sleep.

“About 6:30, quarter of 7, I woke up and proceeded to turn on the bathroom light. I looked toward my bed, and on the wall, you could see what had happened. There was a hole in my wall above my bed. And then I looked to the left, and there was a hole through the closet door—12 bullet holes total. My daughter’s room is right next to mine. And the trajectory that the bullet had, it could have grazed her head if she had been sitting up.”

After seeing the damage inside, Lopez threw on a robe and slippers, went out front. That’s when she saw the garage had been sprayed with bullets, too. So she pulled out her cellphone and called for help. Lopez works as a state senator, so she knew how to get the police chief on the line. “Within 30 minutes, police were present and I had to wake up the children because they were still asleep.”

Lopez has been working in politics for almost 30 years. I asked her at what point did it cross her mind that what happened could have been politically motivated. “I’ve had threats over the years, maybe via email or maybe somebody will leave a message on my home phone number. But it’s never risen to this point,” Lopez said. “When I was speaking to Chief Medina that morning, I distinctly remember he said, ‘Well, you’re the third one.’ Two county commissioners had also had their home shot up.”

On Thursday’s episode of What Next, I spoke with Linda Lopez about how a series of brazen, partisan attacks in New Mexico are making her rethink what it means to work across the aisle. Our conversation has been condensed and edited for clarity. ....

The New Mexico reichlicans aren't doing a thing about this guy, despite:

There’s this one detail about the attack on her home that Linda Lopez can’t shake. It’s about how easy it would have been for things to have gone much, much worse. Authorities now allege that Solomon Peña himself came to Lopez’s home because he thought previous shootings hadn’t been violent enough. He reportedly brought his own automatic weapon.

I’m not very familiar with guns, but he essentially had a gun that had a huge magazine attached to it, and it jammed while he was shooting at our house. If that gun had not jammed, it would have been a very different story.

18 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The Lutherans were a big part of this but they weren't the only ones, and refugee resettlement is not just a big deal in Minnesota. What does tend to happen (as with all sorts of immigration) is that people from a certain part of the world tend to gravitate toward particular areas where those from their group have settled before, meaning that refugees from particular places end up focused in certain cities.  A few years ago Nebraska was one of the states with the highest % of refugees. In Omaha we have mostly refugees from South Sudan (primarily Nuer) and Karen people from Burma/Myanmar.  In Lincoln they have a lot of Iraqi refugees. I think both cities are just starting to get a lot of people from Afghanistan.  

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

I first heard about this case on Democracy Now a few days ago. Nichols' mom spoke at a press conference. It was devastating.

I Can't watch it. I've been seeing way too many police brutality stories lately and this one'll put me over the edge. 

"Indisputable with Dr. Rashad Richey" does a lot of great reporting on this stuff.

Archived