DnD OGL 1.1 Creator Crisis - an Ultimately Good Thing or a Bad Thing for TTRPGs?

The Anti-Targ

31 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Eh...looks like some handy stuff, sure, but I suppose I'm nostalgic for the old days.  The one thing that I suppose would be really nice is the ability for the DM to pass info to only certain players, and they can decide to share it or not.

Yup, but that's what notes are for :) Or text messages!

Also the ability to have players only see what the characters they control can see is a nice addition.  I've made a few maps where characters start in separate locations and either are prevented from table talking to give a feeling of isolation and fear of whats around the next bend or have magical means to communicate over distances and allow them to describe what they are seeing but not knowing where each other are (as long as you tell them not to describe what quadrant of the roll20 map screen they are on).  You can make for example a jail-break scenario where the separately jailed players all have certain intel that they could pass along info to the rescuing team, or coordinate their own escape. 

Wizards seem to be announcing a full climbdown.

OGL 1.0a will remain in place. OGL 1.1 and 2.0 have been junked and instead the next edition of D&D will be released under a Creative Commons licence. They've also revised the SRD (Systems Reference Document) for 5th Edition to be used with either licence. Their attempts to corner the VTT market have also been rolled back.

There is still some wriggle room for legal fuckery once One D&D/6E launches, but this seems to be a full capitulation, almost certainly not related to the burgeoning campaign to boycott their new movie (cough).

Archived