Spare a Moment for H&M Part 2

Fragile Bird

Humans are a plague upon the Earth. 

Underneath all major religion is nothing more than a code of conduct to make 'civilization' workable.  This is why when  you peel back all the rituals and the story elements, they are so similar.  Be good and follow the rules and you will be rewarded now or in another life.  The end.    

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Humans are a plague upon the Earth. 

Underneath all major religion is nothing more than a code of conduct to make 'civilization' workable.  This is why when  you peel back all the rituals and the story elements, they are so similar.  Be good and follow the rules and you will be rewarded now or in another life.  The end.    

And yet even the most basic humans can't understand that while many are willing to twist it for their own gain.

So again, the majority are bad at seeing the con, just like with the royals. ;)

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But if you know it's fiction then yes, it's weird to base your entire life around it.

Monarchies, like religions, are for the most parts cons, and lazy ones at that. If you know this and still go along with it, what does that say about humans in general? 

Without getting too deep, our entire lives are based around a series of fictions and narratives we tell ourselves. 

31 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

But let's mock Harry for thinking he could talk to his dead mother?

I'm not mocking him, I think it's pretty sad and together with all the other information he is providing, he doesn't seem like an especially together young man

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

And yet even the most basic humans can't understand that while many are willing to twist it for their own gain.

So again, the majority are bad at seeing the con, just like with the royals. ;)

Is it con though?  Don't we need some kind of universal code of conduct?  Its also good when things work on more than one level, right?  Intellectual, practical, symbolic, ritual.  It is also true that religion is comforting, this is why the studies show that religious people are generally happier.  I don't object to religion, it has value for society and for the individual even if I don't believe the narrative parts are 'true'.  Same with the royals.  I actually thought in this the Crown got QUEII right....she too was pretty basic, no intellectual, no great ambition other than to make her father proud.  She knew she wasn't anything great or special, so she boiled things down to a few basic rules surrounding duty and lived by them,successfully.  That is commendable to me. 

But, we're not going to agree here.

12 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Without getting too deep, our entire lives are based around a series of fictions and narratives we tell ourselves. 

And I guess that's one of the plus sides of growing up as a reform Jew with a rabbi that said it was okay to question every single one of these fictions, including every aspect of Judaism, so long as you live a life seeking knowledge and doing good deeds.

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It is also true that religion is comforting, this is why the studies show that religious people are generally happier. 

Correct, they do, and that's what we call a placebo. I'm sure it's far more comforting to live your life thinking that when you die you'll be in a giant party in the sky with your loved ones when in really you're going to be thrown in a hole and eaton by worms. Or worse, you could be Eva Peron! The Diana before Diana.

Same with the royals.  I actually thought in this the Crown got QUEII right....she too was pretty basic, no intellectual, no great ambition other than to make her father proud.  She knew she wasn't anything great or special, so she boiled things down to a few basic rules surrounding duty and lived by them,successfully.  That is commendable to me. 

But, we're not going to agree here.

Here's the issue though, it was all fake. She said nothing publicly for her own benefit while privately pulling the strings to protect her, her institution and most of her family, including the shittiest members. I think there's a difference between saying she was effective in her role and saying she was a good person in it. 

Which, you know, is why we're suppose to hate, gulps, *looks at forum name* 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I guess that's one of the plus sides of growing up as a reform Jew with a rabbi that said it was okay to question every single one of these fictions, including every aspect of Judaism, so long as you live a life seeking knowledge and doing good deeds.

The thing is, you don't question every single one of those fictions, you might think yourself so superior that you do, but your entire life is built upon fictions. 

Correct, they do, and that's what we call a placebo. I'm sure it's far more comforting to live your life thinking that when you die you'll be in a giant party in the sky with your loved ones when in really you're going to be thrown in a hole and eaton by worms. Or worse, you could be Eva Peron! The Diana before Diana.

I wouldn't describe it as a placebo, would you describe therapy as a placebo?

Giving queenie stick for protecting her noncey kid is a bit unfair. Literally every parent of a scumbag I've ever come across have done a lot more to keep their kids out if trouble. Unless you -

1) have kids

2) they have massively fucked up and you had the means to keep them out of prison

You can't possibly know what your actions would be. We all like to think we are better, but overwhelmingly people aren't. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Giving queenie stick for protecting her noncey kid is a bit unfair. Literally every parent of a scumbag I've ever come across have done a lot more to keep their kids out if trouble. Unless you -

1) have kids

2) they have massively fucked up and you had the means to keep them out of prison

You can't possibly know what your actions would be. We all like to think we are better, but overwhelmingly people aren't. 

So she... wasn't inherently superior to the rest of us?

33 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I'm not mocking him, I think it's pretty sad and together with all the other information he is providing, he doesn't seem like an especially together young man

Not you, no, but @Cas Stark has been shitting on him about that for multiple threads.

I guess I might be more sympathetic to his issues around his mother because I lost a parent very unjustly when I was young, and trust me it touches every part of your life and warps everything that comes after. Jumping on him for grasping at any connection possible to his mother is just mean and ghoulish.

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

So she... wasn't inherently superior to the rest of us?

She was clearly superior when she was Claire Foy.  When she was Olivia Colman, less so, but still.  Jury's still out on Imelda Staunton.

16 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Not you, no, but @Cas Stark has been shitting on him about that for multiple threads.

I guess I might be more sympathetic to his issues around his mother because I lost a parent very unjustly when I was young, and trust me it touches every part of your life and warps everything that comes after. Jumping on him for grasping at any connection possible to his mother is just mean and ghoulish.

It might be mean, but when you parade your trauma for a few tens of million dollars, it's fair game. He has disclosed all of these details of his own volition, to tell his side of the story.  We are all allowed our own reaction to it.

It is sad that he is still so obsessed with his dead mother that he sees her in everything, leopards, box of hair, psychic, seals, oak trees.  To me, that isn't a sign of a healthy mind or a healthy way to process grief.  It is manifestly weird and unhealthy.

Certainly, it is clear by the book, if it wasn't already that he is obsessed with his mother and has never gotten over her death.  And, that he uses his wife as a stand-in.  I, personally, think what Meghan did at Diana's grave is gross and is evidence either that she is as nutty as he is or that she is a complete manipulator whose playing Harold like a fiddle.

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The thing is, you don't question every single one of those fictions, you might think yourself so superior that you do, but your entire life is built upon fictions. 

Take a stab at the ones you think I don't. I'm all ears.

I wouldn't describe it as a placebo, would you describe therapy as a placebo?

Sometimes it can be, but I wouldn't say it's universal. Religion is different, though it's fair to say there are some overlapping features. However, therapy doesn't promise you a magical sky kingdom you go to when you die. 

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I, personally, think what Meghan did at Diana's grave is gross and is evidence either that she is as nutty as he is or that she is a complete manipulator whose playing Harold like a fiddle.

What did she do at Diana's grave?

Just now, Cas Stark said:

You don't think that smacks of someone who is manipulating their partner?  If you had a friend whose new girlfriend or boyfriend did that, are you honestly saying you wouldn't consider that a red flag?

I mean, does it sound like it was playing to the media and/or for Harry's sake?  Sure.  But that doesn't necessarily mean it's also not genuine.  You could look at that as "manipulative," but you could also look at it at honoring the dead mother of the person you love.  To answer your second question, no, I would not view that as a red flag at all.  

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Ah.  What a monster.

Considering thar one of Canada's longest serving PMs used to talk not only the spirit of his mother but also of his dog on how to run Canada during WWII, the fact that H and M do so is not really the shock of any century. The most popular part of any newspaper is still the daily horoscope. When that changes, let me know so I can finally care.

Archived