Spare a Moment for H&M Part 2

Fragile Bird

9 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

An interesting comment given you’ve not read the book

My entire two comments on the quality of the book come from the parody review someone linked and a very deliberate IF statement. obviously if the book is nothing like the parody suggests, my comments are null and void. Come on. Is there breathing room left on the internet? All light hearted gossip is gone from this topic everywhere? Because I know the other royal thread terrifies me, but isn’t  there some room left for having harmless fun about the pop cultural sensation this book is? :dunno: 

48 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I came across a meme that the book says Daenerys was his favorite character because they are alike. Is this for real or someone on tiktok made it up? And the editor left it in? For real?  Give me all the tea :o 

Didn't he say in an interview that he didn't watch Game of Thrones?

21 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

My entire two comments on the quality of the book come from the parody review someone linked and a very deliberate IF statement. obviously if the book is nothing like the parody suggests, my comments are null and void. Come on. Is there breathing room left on the internet? All light hearted gossip is gone from this topic everywhere? Because I know the other royal thread terrifies me, but isn’t  there some room left for having harmless fun about the pop cultural sensation this book is? /cdn-cgi/mirage/e7cdc3d1b42064bbcb7493ddaf3c1b2d3511a1895af109f2c96f899ee8a13be4/1440/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_dunno.gif 

I can see why it’d be mocked, but there are like millions upon millions of readers who avidly identify with the fictional characters GRRM created without even needing to be amongst the very few who actually do have being royalty in common. Anyways, I imagine, like most comments from an autobiography, it depends on the context. 

The many words devoted to the frostbitten todger including describing the special clothing he had made to keep the todger warm on his next trip to the poles, is, a, quite high on the weird scale. 

Also, not lighthearted, but quite weird, that H says they took the remains from the miscarriage home and burried the fetus under a banyon tree.  Weird.  I didn't think that was legal in the US.

Apparently the news media is making a thing about Harry name checking the wrong gaming console that Diana bought him just before she died. Clearly an outrageous betrayal of the public trust for the memory from a 13-year old Harry to have misled the world so egregiously.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Apparently the news media is making a thing about Harry name checking the wrong gaming console that Diana bought him just before she died. Clearly an outrageous betrayal of the public trust for the memory from a 13-year old Harry to have misled the world so egregiously.

Hey Hey! Hey! Nobody forgets their first gaming system.

Aaaaaaah, ZX81....

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Hey Hey! Hey! Nobody forgets their first gaming system.

Aaaaaaah, ZX81....

My first generation Game Boy still works! And my NES probably would too if my friend's idiot brother didn't spill milk all over it. 

They use to make them better back in the day. My PS4 is 3-4 years old and dying.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What they should be making a thing about is the claim that their incessant reporting on his activities in Afghanistan resulted on a Taliban attack that got two Americans killed and several British and American soldiers injured. 

Nothing? yeah, lets talk about the fucking "X Box".

Twats. 

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

The many words devoted to the frostbitten todger including describing the special clothing he had made to keep the todger warm on his next trip to the poles, is, a, quite high on the weird scale. 

Also, not lighthearted, but quite weird, that H says they took the remains from the miscarriage home and burried the fetus under a banyon tree.  Weird.  I didn't think that was legal in the US.

Pretty sure by now that both you and Heartofice have mentioned the ‘todger’ like 20 times more often than it possibly could be in any autobiography. Anything you want to share with the group?

30 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Pretty sure by now that both you and Heartofice have mentioned the ‘todger’ like 20 times more often than it possibly could be in any autobiography. Anything you want to share with the group?

Todger is word of the week. If you use it at least 20 times on social media you unlock an achievement.

36 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Harold is the one that put his frostbitten penis travails in his book, including that he rubbed Elizabeth Arden cream on it, which was the same cream his mother used, and he goes on a bit there....not me.  I'm not sure how many times he actually mentions is penis/todger, 20 sounds about right.

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I came across a meme that the book says Daenerys was his favorite character because they are alike. Is this for real or someone on tiktok made it up? And the editor left it in? For real?  Give me all the tea :o 

I think the Daenerys quote (how he identified with her because be wants to take back what is his) was made up.

13 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It says that people find the lives of the rich interesting.  It may be a historical hangover, but people also tend to find 'aristocrats' with histories that trace back to other famous, rich historical figures even more interesting.  It's not at all surprising.  Yes, the media has been making bank on famous rich people for at least 150 years.  Famous rich people have been using the media to enhance their fame/stature/whatever for just as long.  

It's the same reason the public was obsessed with the Kennedys 1.0, rich, famous, glamorous, powerful. It's only now, after half a century and no one with an ounce of glamor since JFK Jr. that interest has finally diminished.

Of course people find the lives of the rich and powerful interesting.

How many people would read ASOIAF if the POV’s were all peasants, or ancient history if it wasn’t filled with larger than life aristocrats and emperors?

17 hours ago, Week said:

The root of the criticism is the fire breathing hatred and criticism of Meghan at a mere whiff of mention. One wonders why such fire exists specifically for her and why the necessity to repeat vitriol from tabloid rags ad nauseam. It follows a pattern of a bit extra punch for criticism of women (not all, but enough) that is apparent to pretty much everyone.

I get it. I'm a POC woman who works in an overwhelmingly white, very old British organisation and I deal almost 90% of the time with white men of a certain age. So I have quite a lot of experience in dealing with bias, often unconscious but also deliberate. There have been many instances where I've had to 'prove' my worth to such colleagues even if they seem perfectly friendly and nice. Just yesterday I gave a presentation to a room full of such people and they began talking over me until I firmly cut across them to remind them of time constraints so I could proceed without interruption. I joined a 'women's network' internally, something that's been set up to address the glaring gender inequality in terms of senior positions, representation and pay, and we talk a good game on stuff like inclusivity and intersectionality - yet it's almost always the white women who talk the most and loudest. Luckily I'm assertive and thick-skinned so I just carry on sharing my opinions. Often quite loudly too, I confess. 

All this to say, I know a lot of the criticism around Meghan stems from such factors. But that certainly doesn't mean she is a saint or that one isn't allowed to criticise her - or any other POC - at all? To me that seems like another sort of patronising marginalisation. Hell, I didn't get a particularly great impression of her (or him) when I watched the Netflix thing - she came off very conscious and mannered and not real in the slightest, and he just seemed highly self-absorbed and oblivious. And that's fine. I'm allowed to dislike them because they're putting themselves out there. And they'll survive, I'm sure. 

Archived