Royal Families: useful somehow or just really stupid and gross?

Varysblackfyre321

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Awesome? Fucking confiscation. I’d leave any damn country that pulled that shit

Yes—the 50s was economic golden age for the U.K to which most prospered from.

I person who makes a hundred million can survive off 10 million quite comfortably.

A person who makes a billion can survive quite comfortably off a hundred million .

Its a worthwhile trade off for a better civil society.

Its a shame such proposal can’t be mentioned without accusations of being communist.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

But hey, some people really just enjoy being conned. 

I disagree on the assessment of almost all people supporting a monarchy being willfully deluded.

If one values democracy, equality, equability, or even prefers to think people should get what they get through merit, I don’t think one can reasonably see a hereditary monarchy as something that should be preserved.

I do think there’s a cognitive-dissonance here for many because cultural indoctrination towards the idea being benign.

Though for some I do think the reasons are more rational based upon their worldview.

If one values is more autocracy, unchanging hierarchy, it makes sense, 

It’s not surprising for a lot of American cultural-conservatives to simp for the British monarchy and aristocracy. 

I would never discount the value of a sort of... permanent seems like an undemocratic word

Perhaps a sort of consistent icon of moral virtueness and believery in timery pastery or what have you. 

But that position should be Earned, not inherited 

And really, that's the best you can do out of it? A rancid carbuncle of a dynasty with no political powers besides feeding scraps of venom to the press? 

Forget how they frame the question on the poll. "Do you approve of... blah blah" or however watered-down bullshit way they ask the question to get as milquetoast a result as possible... 

Don't you want better? For your damn dollar if nothing else? 

(I don't know what you people use for money now... straw? I'm imagining straw for some reason?)

53 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Awesome? Fucking confiscation. I’d leave any damn country that pulled that shit. Taking 50% or 60% of your money like they do in Canada is bad enough, but 90%? Fuck off and die.

90% if you made like a billion dollars annually seems more than fair. And personally I'd cut off a toe if you tried to be a tax cheat. First strike, at least. We all know sharks and/or volcanos are third. God have mercy on those that find out what the second is.

But I believe in taking care of poor children and the needs of society. Don't you? :P

27 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I disagree on the assessment of almost all people supporting a monarchy being willfully deluded.

Nah, it's a con, plain as day, and worst of all, a very lazy one. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, it's a con, plain as day, and worst of all, a very lazy one. 

It could be more than a con. That's what makes me sad. I've known good leaders. I think we all have, or at least we all deserve to have known good leaders. I assume mostly that that's what makes a lot of folks want to look up to icons. Some grand figure like a King or a President who you actually do believe would do the right thing. Even if you know he's gotta keep his secrets, like he's not gonna sell us all down the river just to protect his other other castle's moat from getting too much pedestrian traffic is he?

I know it's what makes me want to do so. But at the very same time, sometimes you need to put more effort into finding that person than luck-of-the-draw. Or, as can be charged at a certain country whose noble class I'm much more aware of (if not equally disinterested in), just saying "you got $$ and/or a personality and know other people with $$$? Wanna steal a bunch of money from a bunch of rubes and light it on fire and play p-o-l-i-t-i-c-s ??? " 

Good leaders aren't interested in gossip, tabloid or otherwise, and they aren't particularly interested politics as ends (I've found). 

Finding and entrusting those people from within societies is hard. Hello, Donald Trump, the example future generations will cite as the reason to never try democracy again when they're drowning in trashwater or starving on nutritionless food or cancering on cancer air... yeah, that's that. :) 

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yes—the 50s was economic golden age for the U.K to which most prospered from.

I person who makes a hundred million can survive off 10 million quite comfortably.

A person who makes a billion can survive quite comfortably off a hundred million .

Its a worthwhile trade off for a better civil society.

Its a shame such proposal can’t be mentioned without accusations of being communist.

You are brainwashed. In Canada when I was at my peak earning years the top rate hit at $85,000. It was 60%. Just lovely to get a $10,000 bonus and receive only $4,000. If I only received $1,000, I’d be leading the march on Ottawa with the crowds carrying torches and pitchforks. I didn’t earn $100 M a year. I haven’t looked recently but I think it’s about $120,000 now, whereas in the US I think it’s $300k or $400k, and the top rate is a lot less.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

90% if you made like a billion dollars annually seems more than fair. And personally I'd cut off a toe if you tried to be a tax cheat. First strike, at least. We all know sharks and/or volcanos are third. God have mercy on those that find out what the second is.

But I believe in taking care of poor children and the needs of society. Don't you? :P

Pretty rich from a country where the top rate hits at a level two or three times higher than the top rate in Canada. And like I said, I didn’t make $100M a year, let alone a billion.

44 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You are brainwashed.

I’m open to be shown wrong. Cite some studies demonstrating the U.K’s tax during the 50s, 60s and negatively impacted most people within the U.K.

38 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Pretty rich from a country where the top rate hits at a level two or three times higher than the top rate in Canada. And like I said, I didn’t make $100M a year, let alone a billion.

yeah I apologize for introducing the hyperbole here.

1 hour ago, BBB Jacelyn said:

It could be more than a con.

Sure, I mean I think it’s expected that people who’ve taught since birth that x is true and good would believe cos true and good.

King Charles probably genuinely believes the monarchy as an institution is good like Harry does whose been disowned.

44 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wait we need a separate for this particular topic on the most desirable forms of taxation.

@BBB Jacelyn make one while I rest.

FB I didn’t mean to lay insult against you personally and I understand  wanting to keep as much of the money you feel you earned as much as possible. 

38 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Wait we need a separate for this particular topic on the most desirable forms of taxation.

@BBB Jacelyn make one while I rest.

FB I didn’t mean to lay insult against you personally and I understand  wanting to keep as much of the money you feel you earned as much as possible. 

You may find I am not so easily tasked. 

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Not really directed at you, but the concept of the “rich” being forced to sell their homes.

Look if you're happy to pay my tax to support the royal family, then that's cool. I'll DM you my bank details and you can set up a montly payment :)

9 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Bad—you’re level apathy has allowed for a whole list human rights, corruption, and civil erosion.

Fundraise for groups who promise to stop the dumping of tax payer money in the hole, do civil disobedience through blocking people from dumping money in the hole,  he’ll just put up a sign up saying dumping tax payer money in the  hole is bad.

At least a little grossed out wouldn’t be bad.

No. 

(I mean I could explain myself and justify my life choices and reason why I disagree with your opinion about my allocation of my energy or about what should and shouldn’t “gross me out”, but the internet has taught me that “No” is a full sentence.) 

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Awesome? Fucking confiscation. I’d leave any damn country that pulled that shit. Taking 50% or 60% of your money like they do in Canada is bad enough, but 90%? Fuck off and die.

Nobody actually paid those rates, in the UK, unless they were very badly advised.

Income tax allowances were far higher, relative to incomes, than now, capital gains were untaxed, and all manner of expenses could be offset against income.

8 hours ago, Makk said:

I think inevitably the monarchy will be ended via democracy once they become unpopular enough. The majority of royalists are in the older age brackets? I wasn't aware it was already this unpopular though.

No poll has ever shown 60/40 in favour of abolition.

Archived