Royal Families: useful somehow or just really stupid and gross?

Varysblackfyre321

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So you’re betting on the security forces to just murder him? Imprison him?

How exactly would he be made an ex-king?

Assuming that he was not persuaded to abdicate of of his own accord, then the most likely route would be for Parliament to pass a law removing him as King.  Unless the security forces were prepared to stage a coup to keep him in power, then he would have to go.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Assuming that he was not persuaded to abdicate of of his own accord, then the most likely route would be for Parliament to pass a law removing him as King.  Unless the security forces were prepared to stage a coup to keep him in power, then he would have to go.

You haven't heard of the Elite Guard of Royalist troopers? They are the elite of the elite, except their long hair worn in ringlets keeps getting in their eyes and makes them easy to take down in a firefight.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Pretty sure that any British king who declared himself a nazi post-2023 ain't being removed by anyone. 

At least 40% of the population would be totally here for that. 

Well, you could probably recruit the core of a British SS on Canvey Island, but it wouldn't be 40% overall.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Assuming that he was not persuaded to abdicate of of his own accord, then the most likely route would be for Parliament to pass a law removing him as King. 

He could dissolve parliament. Wait a minute any law passed by parliament would have to be signed by him to be legally official in the first place.

I confess I'm a bit shocked by the apparent deep level of hatred some have for the British Monarchy.  The monarch hasn't had any power in centuries.  The 'cost' to the taxpayer is miniscule, in the US federal budget $120 million is a fucking rounding error.  They dress nice, attend community events, a few big splashy events.  They never express any opinion more controversial than 'childhood education, good; gardens, good, domestic violence, not good.  It was a big controversy when Charles had the temerity to want to protect the environment and to dislike brutalist architecture.  The Queen worked for 30 years after the most lowly shop clerk would have put her feet up in retirement.  Sure, I like pageantry and I think it's great that there is a living connection to 1000 years of history and it will be very very sad when the monarchy finally ends.  

9 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

He could dissolve parliament. Wait a minute any law passed by parliament would have to be signed by him to be legally official in the first place.

He could try.  Somehow, I think it's unlikely he'd succeed.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I confess I'm a bit shocked by the apparent deep level of hatred some have for the British Monarchy.  The monarch hasn't had any power in centuries.  The 'cost' to the taxpayer is miniscule, in the US federal budget $120 million is a fucking rounding error.  They dress nice, attend community events, a few big splashy events.  They never express any opinion more controversial than 'childhood education, good; gardens, good, domestic violence, not good.  It was a big controversy when Charles had the temerity to want to protect the environment and to dislike brutalist architecture.  The Queen worked for 30 years after the most lowly shop clerk would have put her feet up in retirement.  Sure, I like pageantry and I think it's great that there is a living connection to 1000 years of history and it will be very very sad when the monarchy finally ends.  

It's a pretty niche point of view in the United Kingdom.

8 minutes ago, Raja said:

Cas Stark hasn't been to a pizza express with a gentleman that cannot sweat, and it shows.

I've never heard such deluded bullshit. Cas Stark wants to live in a Disney fucking fairytale, and cannot understand why many people who actually have to put up with these odious cunts do not. 

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

You're American. Nobody expects you to understand. 

Most brits tend to agree with her too
https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/2ac4xx18vf/Internal_RoyalFavourability_230106.pdf

There is 60/30 split in favour of monarchy in general

Harry is looking at 33/59 split on the negative and I don't think his book is winning him any favours. Meghan is doing even worse.

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The UK is not seething with revolutionary Republican sentiment.

More polling on Harry's book:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/01/12/prince-harrys-popularity-falls-further-spare-hits-

Britons are most likely to think that money was Prince Harry's main motivation in writing 'Spare'

The popularity of Prince Harry has tumbled further in the eyes of the British public as the royal’s tell-all book ‘Spare’ is launched.

The release of the controversial book and the round of interviews to promote it has ensured Prince Harry has been firmly in the limelight this week.

One in five Britons (21%) believe the main motivation behind the release of Spare is for the prince to “tell his side of the story” – but around twice as many (41%) believe it’s to make money.

Prince Harry favourability falls even further as 'Spare' hits the shelves
As the book continues to make headlines with its series of dramatic revelations about the royal family, YouGov’s royal favourability tracker finds just a quarter of Britons (24%) now think positively of Prince Harry, while 68% have a negative opinion – this gives him his lowest ever favourability rating of -44, down from -38 last week, which had been his previous record low.

Archived