Videogames 2023: Dreams of the Sandbox Kings

IlyaP

12 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Oof. 

Mandatory boss fights like what you describe would drive me nuts. I love the idea of emergent gameplay and playing my way, rather than how the game wants me to play - and it sounds like this game is a kind of rail shooter, so to speak, in that it forces certain things on you and limits your options/choices. 

This is exactly the problem really. The game gives you an open world but very little freedom in how to navigate the story.

Steamworld is such a damn cool success story. A tiny little studio made a tower defence game on the DSi 12 years ago, made just enough to make Steamworld: Dig, span it off into various genres, and now they're a multi-branch studio making multiple games at the same time, including this, which looks banging.

9 hours ago, Darryk said:

This is exactly the problem really. The game gives you an open world but very little freedom in how to navigate the story.

That would drive me bonkers. I found this to be a point of frustration recently in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, where the game has a quasi-RPG structure with certain important choices that can be made in-game and skill trees, but that still couldn't get me out of having to have certain fights with certain characters, no matter how I played or what choices I made, which frustrated me. Have we all learned nothing from Warren Spector?! :D

31 minutes ago, RumHam said:

My laptop broke so I said fuck it and ordered a second steam deck. I'm not sure I could get a better computer for $400. I'll probably try windows 11 on this one. 

Why would you need a second steam deck?

But my laptop is dying and I have been thinking about, rather than spending ridiculous amounts of money getting a laptop that can play games, just getting a cheap sturdy work laptop and a steam deck.

Been playing Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Perfect game to play after Persona 5. It's just fun and to the point.

7 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Why would you need a second steam deck?

well, I need a computer, and with a USB hub and keyboard and mouse and a monitor (all of which I already have) the steam deck is a pretty good one. I'm using mine to write this post. 

But I really don't like the idea of my only computer being a handheld that my dumb ass could drop and break. So I was going to get a cheap laptop for streaming and work and stuff. Then I figured since it's so cheap why not just get another 64gb deck, pop the laptop's hard drive in it and use that as my computer. The added bonus being if I do drop my main deck my secondary computer can still play games. 90% of the time it's gonna sit on the dock though streaming netflix or whatever. 

Could I have gotten a decent laptop for $400? I quickly looked around and most of the low end ones seemed to be $600+. 

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

well, I need a computer, and with a USB hub and keyboard and mouse and a monitor (all of which I already have) the steam deck is a pretty good one. I'm using mine to write this post. 

But I really don't like the idea of my only computer being a handheld that my dumb ass could drop and break. So I was going to get a cheap laptop for streaming and work and stuff. Then I figured since it's so cheap why not just get another 64gb deck, pop the laptop's hard drive in it and use that as my computer. The added bonus being if I do drop my main deck my secondary computer can still play games. 90% of the time it's gonna sit on the dock though streaming netflix or whatever. 

Could I have gotten a decent laptop for $400? I quickly looked around and most of the low end ones seemed to be $600+. 

Oh, I see. I didn't realize Steam Decks could be used in that way, though it makes sense now that I think about it. Pretty cool.

4 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Oh, I see. I didn't realize Steam Decks could be used in that way, though it makes sense now that I think about it. Pretty cool.

Yeah, it has a desktop mode than runs a version of arch linux. If you want you can install windows 10 or 11 on it also.

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, it has a desktop mode than runs a version of arch linux. If you want you can install windows 10 or 11 on it also.

I was just using AnyDesk on it yesterday to use mouse and keyboard to navigate some konsole commands. Linux is definitely outside my comfort zone, but it is pretty neat.

Excellent. Mimimi Games have revealed their next game to follow up on Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Desperados IIIShadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew is yet another stealth tactics game, but with the spin that this time you are playing a band of undead pirates with an unusual and interesting array of abilities (such as a guy with a cannon strapped to his back who can use captured guards as ammo to take out other guards).

A big shift here is that you have a relatively large crew and get to choose which to take on any given mission, and each mission should be completable with any combination of characters. Apparently Mimimi discovered that too many people felt their previous games only had one way to complete every mission and felt that was restrictive (despite not being remotely true at all), so they wanted to make it clearer this time that each mission is a freeform sandbox and any strategy that leaves you victorious and alive is viable.

Should be out later this year.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Excellent. Mimimi Games have revealed their next game to follow up on Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Desperados IIIShadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew is yet another stealth tactics game, but with the spin that this time you are playing a band of undead pirates with an unusual and interesting array of abilities (such as a guy with a cannon strapped to his back who can use captured guards as ammo to take out other guards).

Wert, is this turn-based, or real time with pause, or...?

17 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Their games are real-time, and at least the previous games don't have a pause option as the developers feel it disrupts the flow of their games.

They don't want to be know nas "real-time tactics" games though, as their focus is on stealth, so they do prefer being called "stealth strategy games".

20 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

If it's like their past games, neither. Their past games have been 100% real time, though with ultra-fast quick save and quick load (and a little clock that starts ticking at the top of your screen if it's been more than a minute since you last saved). It's about trying over and over quickly until accomplish things.

Although, if you aren't actively being hunted and your characters are all hidden the game is effectively paused since you'll be completely safe until you start doing things. And there is a mode where you can plan out actions before anything happens, and then everyone acts at once. So there are ways to get a breather and think things through.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Their games are real-time, and at least the previous games don't have a pause option as the developers feel it disrupts the flow of their games.

They don't want to be know nas "real-time tactics" games though, as their focus is on stealth, so they do prefer being called "stealth strategy games".

Desperados 3 did allow you to pause, Shadow Tactics did not (and it was a bit jarring going back to that with the recent Shadow Tactics expansion).

They're basically a very modern update on the 1990s stealth tactics genre, namely CommandosCommandos IIRobin Hood and Desperados and Desperados II.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Desperados 3 did allow you to pause, Shadow Tactics did not (and it was a bit jarring going back to that with the recent Shadow Tactics expansion).

They're basically a very modern update on the 1990s stealth tactics genre, namely CommandosCommandos IIRobin Hood and Desperados and Desperados II.

Is the Shadow Tactics expansion good?  I got it free on Epic but I'm not allowing myself to start any new games until I finish one of like the eight I'm foolishly trying to finish at once.

59 minutes ago, briantw said:

Is the Shadow Tactics expansion good?  I got it free on Epic but I'm not allowing myself to start any new games until I finish one of like the eight I'm foolishly trying to finish at once.

Aiko's Choice? Yes, it's good. But its difficulty level definitely follows on from the main game, you wouldn't want to play it without completing the base game first.

This is a real blast from the past. Used to have Shadowgate on NES back in like... jeez, 34 years ago? 

Kickstarter launching on February 18th, and they'll have a demo with the first 18 rooms of the game.  Should have my new computer then, hopefully it'll be able to run it... :rofl:

I believe Starfield  was said to release after this. So, June hopefully?

Bethesda’s upcoming vampire shooter Redfall is now releasing on May 2nd. Redfall was originally delayed last year, alongside Starfield, to the first half of 2023. Microsoft and Bethesda are now committing to a May 2nd release date, and it will be available exclusively on Xbox Series S and X and PC.

Redfall gets a May 2nd release date and more gameplay footag

e

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/25/23500219/redfall-release-date-xbox-bethesda

2 hours ago, Ran said:

This is a real blast from the past. Used to have Shadowgate on NES back in like... jeez, 34 years ago? 

Kickstarter launching on February 18th, and they'll have a demo with the first 18 rooms of the game.  Should have my new computer then, hopefully it'll be able to run it... :rofl:

The 8 bit music...is intentional? And will be like that all the way through? 

Archived