Videogames 2023: Dreams of the Sandbox Kings

IlyaP

9 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

The 8 bit music...is intentional? And will be like that all the way through? 

That's my understanding. It's a retro game, in the style of the original. Here's a playthrough of Shadowgate:

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I believe Starfield  was said to release after this. So, June hopefully?

Unless they go mad and do the showcase in February and announce release for March or April. Not impossible (they confirmed Oblivion's final release date just 3-4 weeks before release, but that was quite some time ago).

Goldeneye came back out today! I thought the Switch got multiplayer and Xbox got the remaster, but apparently XBox got something else that's not as good. That's a shame. 

I feel like a lot of people are going to sign up for Nintendo's online thing only to realize a four player max FPS with no bots isn't a lot of fun by modern standards. Perfect Dark's multiplayer still holds up though.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Goldeneye came back out today! I thought the Switch got multiplayer and Xbox got the remaster, but apparently XBox got something else that's not as good. That's a shame. 

I feel like a lot of people are going to sign up for Nintendo's online thing only to realize a four player max FPS with no bots isn't a lot of fun by modern standards. Perfect Dark's multiplayer still holds up though.

For anyone here following this and with more of an attention span than my brain allows at the moment: why isn't this on PC? And WILL IT ever make it to PCs? 

8 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

For anyone here following this and with more of an attention span than my brain allows at the moment: why isn't this on PC? And WILL IT ever make it to PCs? 

Ninten-don’t

38 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

The only chance is if it gets on the gamepass PC app. I don't know how that works. 

You can download the Xenia Xbox 360 emulator and the leaked remaster that was never released and go to town though. That's what I did. 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Nintendo will never allow their games to go multiplatform until there is a really massive shift at the company (they'd probably need two consoles in a row to be massive flops).

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Nintendo will never allow their games to go multiplatform until there is a really massive shift at the company (they'd probably need two consoles in a row to be massive flops).

I mean they did let this one go to Xbox. I believe every other N64 game Rare made* is on Xbox too, as part of Rare Replay. Nintendo may be keeping it off PC gamepass. But it seems like a ton of the gamepass library isn't available on PC gamepass for some reason? 

*Just remembered Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong 64 didn't make it to xbox for obvious reasons. 

Edited by RumHam

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

I mean they did let this one go to Xbox. I believe every other N64 game Rare made* is on Xbox too, as part of Rare Replay. Nintendo may be keeping it off PC gamepass. But it seems like a ton of the gamepass library isn't available on PC gamepass for some reason? 

*Just remembered Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong 64 didn't make it to xbox for obvious reasons. 

Doesn't Microsoft own Rare? In which case Microsoft allowed Nintendo to use it, not the other way round.

I only have xbox so I won't get the multiplayer unfortunately,  but I'm looking forward to feeling some nice warm nostalgia from playing the single-player. That Facility mission was an absolute classic.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

Doesn't Microsoft own Rare? In which case Microsoft allowed Nintendo to use it, not the other way round.

Microsoft own Rare now, but Nintendo part-owned them when it was made and control the rights for it. That's why it didn't come out on the 360 back in 2008 or so when they did a remaster intended for XBLA. I don't know, but my wild guess would be that Nintendo got the adaptation rights for Goldeneye from MGM, which is why Rare took Banjo-Kazooie etc with them but not Goldeneye?

Game rights are funny things. It's always slightly amused me that Rare made Banjo-Kazooie basically to utilise their experience making Donkey Kong (with Diddy) in an IP they owned, then the actual team that made those games left Rare and had to create another IP, Yooka-Laylee, to keep doing the same thing, so now you have three separate platforming franchises that all have basically the same mechanics, tone and style. 

I was dicking around on GoG and fired up Ultima 4 for nostalgia's sake.

Decided to play it straight fighter.  So stuck at Jhelom until the moon gate opens.  It's either that or run through swamps and die of poison.  

So I leave the town and see the moon gate and run on through and wow Skara Brae.  An even smaller if less poisonous island.  So I quit and save and then thinking about if I waited a bit, I'd get Magincia.  If I was really, really patient or just lucky on the timing, Moonglow.  Stuck in island hell.  Valor is probably the worst start in that game if you come into it cold until you figure out the gate phases. 

Don't get me wrong I loved that game on floppy disk but not exactly hooking you in.  To be fair, I think the map that came with the game had the appropriate moon phases by each city to help prompt exploring, but possibly I'm thinking of Ultima V or VI.

Ultima III was the first we played as kids, FWIW.

So watching my son play god of war I have no interest in it due to the annoying amount of puzzles he needs to ask my help on. Also don’t feel like jumping into forbidden west atm because I just watched my son play it and don’t feel the need to play it.

So I’ve mostly just been playing slay the spire or civ 6 lately. If I was to jump into elden ring is it not as puzzle heavy as GoW? Also I see lots of different builds available and is it fun to play a magic user there?

My other thoughts are to get Witcher 3 for PS5 to replay that (hoe they fixed that crash bug) or maybe he pathfinder wrath of the righteous for my steam deck.

13 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

So I’ve mostly just been playing slay the spire or civ 6 lately. If I was to jump into elden ring is it not as puzzle heavy as GoW? Also I see lots of different builds available and is it fun to play a magic user there?

Elden ring has almost no puzzles to speak of. It benefits greatly from looking up where things are and what to do at points. Magic is one of the easier builds imo, but it doesn't make it that much easier. Also even as a magic user you'll need to hit things with weapons.

I tried Goldeneye on the Switch... 

Jesus, how did I ever play it with those controls????  I could barely aim my gun or look around.  Maybe 25 years of perfecting the genre on consoles has left me unable to go back.  I did the dam level, but didn't even bother with the facility.