Videogames 2023: Dreams of the Sandbox Kings

IlyaP

More gameplay. Looks pretty good.

47 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

I tried to play that GoT thingy they did but I'm just not a huge fan of the art style and it was such a pale shadow of something like KotOR 

To say nothing of Mr. Martin

:ack:

That who did? The French company Cyanide made the GoT RPG, whilst the American company Telltale made the terrible adventure game. Neither have anything to do with Paradox or Harebrained.

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

I was feeling nostalgic and started up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

At first I was like "nah, these graphics are way too dated, no way am I gonna stick with this", but after about half an hour it had sucked me in. Shows what a timeless classic it is albeit having aged badly technology-wise.

Can't believe I first played it in 2004. Where does the time go?

The gameplay wasn't even very good when the game first released, and time certainly hasn't done it any favors.  

Story holds up, though, and it remains one of the best Star Wars tales ever told.

10 minutes ago, briantw said:

The gameplay wasn't even very good when the game first released, and time certainly hasn't done it any favors.  

Story holds up, though, and it remains one of the best Star Wars tales ever told.

You don't tune into Smackdown on the CW network (that you get over the digi-ears on your TV that has a built-in VHS player) circa-2009ish or whatever to see Martial Arts 

You tune in to see acrobats and Chris Jericho 

On 3/6/2023 at 5:55 PM, Darryk said:

I was feeling nostalgic and started up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

At first I was like "nah, these graphics are way too dated, no way am I gonna stick with this", but after about half an hour it had sucked me in. Shows what a timeless classic it is albeit having aged badly technology-wise.

Can't believe I first played it in 2004. Where does the time go?

Admittedly, as I have that habit with very pen&paper-ish games, I really would have loved continuing my own playthrough years ago, but I never got past Tatooine as I hit a brick wall in combat with the sand people effortlessly stomping me no matter which direction I went... I always wondered whether I screwed up in character creation since it seemed to me like you needed to min-max like crazy to survive.

The King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor, Six Ages: Ride Like the Windis on sale on Steam at 40%, the lowest I've seen the game at. Hard to describe it, but it's a sort of a narrative strategy simulator where you lead a tribe in the ancient past of the world of Glorantha and try to thrive as you deal with disputes, random events that often create multi-part narratives, conflicts, curses, rituals, magic, and more. Very, very easy to just say, "Gosh, just one more turn..." and then find yourself still up at 4 AM.

ETA: Trailer with a bit of gameplay:

Edited by Ran

Cinematic trailer for a new, AAA multiplayer PVP game being masterminded by director and VFX wizard Neill Blomkamp, with Richard K. Morgan as lead script writer and worldbuilder while Oliver Henriot (Far CryAssassins Creed) serves as Executive Narrative Director:

Weirdly, I watched it without knowing all the above, it just popped up randomly in a feed and I just saw Blomkamp's name... and within a minute I thought about how Morgan's Market Forces could make for a fun genre film or maybe even a game setting, and wondered if Blomkamp would be interested in working with him on something like that...

Maybe I saw previous press-releases about this a year or two ago so it was my subconscious bringing the idea to the surface. 

The RE4 remake seems really cool. I was aware of it but not really looking forward to it until It tried the demo. Things are redesigned a bit but it's very familiar. A few times I caught myself holding the trigger and pressing A to shoot like back on the gamecube. 

On 3/8/2023 at 10:25 AM, Toth said:

Admittedly, as I have that habit with very pen&paper-ish games, I really would have loved continuing my own playthrough years ago, but I never got past Tatooine as I hit a brick wall in combat with the sand people effortlessly stomping me no matter which direction I went... I always wondered whether I screwed up in character creation since it seemed to me like you needed to min-max like crazy to survive.

Kotor is a game in which consumables can make a huge difference when an encounter is too difficult. But it is certainly much easier when you min-max especially because you are forced to multi-class in this game and you can easily pick things that will not improve the jedi class you pick and you can kinda level your base class too high.

Kotor is not as bad as some other games in that regard I feel. Neverwinter Nights 2 comes to mind or the Pathfinder games. When you can pick from an insane amount of powers/feats/abilities you can really fuck your character up.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

All the unwanted re-makes out there and we can't get a remake of this gem. Shame. 

I suspect the remake would not satisfy a lot of fans. The remake that they were working on would have almost certainly been an action game playing much closer to the likes of Jedi Fallen Order and only some nominal RPG systems. The fear is that a full remake of the original would feel too obtuse of a lot of mainstream modern gamers (i.e. not having direct control of every swing in combat).

They could get away with a remaster, but I think the game is too old for them to do a really satisfying remaster up to modern standards.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

All the unwanted re-makes out there and we can't get a remake of this gem. Shame. 

Weirdly enough both Kotor games got ported to android it some point. I got them for free from amazon back when they were pushing their app store(I might be addicted to free games I don't play).

Horrible interface obviously was not well optimized for touch at all.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The remake that they were working on would have almost certainly been an action game playing much closer to the likes of Jedi Fallen Order and only some nominal RPG systems.

That would, indeed, be awful. I'd settle for a Mass Effect 2 style remake, personally. 

Edited by Relic

Speaking of videogames, I've only been playing one this year. Marvel Snap. Fantastic card game. I've played a ton of pvp and pve card games, and this is one of the very best. WAY better than Hearthstone.