Videogames 2023: Dreams of the Sandbox Kings

IlyaP

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

I suspect the remake would not satisfy a lot of fans. The remake that they were working on would have almost certainly been an action game playing much closer to the likes of Jedi Fallen Order and only some nominal RPG systems. The fear is that a full remake of the original would feel too obtuse of a lot of mainstream modern gamers (i.e. not having direct control of every swing in combat).

They could get away with a remaster, but I think the game is too old for them to do a really satisfying remaster up to modern standards.

I mean, the gameplay was never the highlight of KOTOR to begin with.  If they made it better but kept the story mostly unchanged (I'd be fine with some minor re-writes to tighten the dialogue, same as I expect them to do for the remake of The Witcher, although that one needs it far more), I'd be on board.  That being said, if you remove most of the RPG elements, it's not the same game.  I would not be on board with that.

If I recall, didn't they improve the gameplay from the original Mass Effect in the Legendary Edition to make it play more like the second game?  

Edited by briantw

25 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, the gameplay was never the highlight of KOTOR to begin with.  If they made it better but kept the story mostly unchanged (I'd be fine with some minor re-writes to tighten the dialogue, same as I expect them to do for the remake of The Witcher, although that one needs it far more), I'd be on board.  That being said, if you remove most of the RPG elements, it's not the same game.  I would not be on board with that.

If I recall, didn't they improve the gameplay from the original Mass Effect in the Legendary Edition to make it play more like the second game?  

They said they did, but no, not really. The action in ME1 is still noticeably clunkier than in ME2. They did remove weapons restrictions from classes though.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

They said they did, but no, not really. The action in ME1 is still noticeably clunkier than in ME2. They did remove weapons restrictions from classes though.

I seem to remember it being a bit more enjoyable when I played the Legendary version, but it had been so long since I played the original that all I really remembered was that the gameplay was borderline unfun at times.  It might just be that it wasn't as bad as I remembered it, though.

Got GTA5 for Ps5 and transferred my gTA online account from the ps4 version to ps5. Hadnt played it since 2019. 
Bought what’s essentially the white Lotus from the James Bond The Spy Who Loved Me film, which can transform into the submarine mode and sail under water!

Sequel to the much-praised Hyper Light Drifter, but it's now an open-world 3D third person Roguelike, unlike the original's 2.5D/pseudo-isometric look. Looks quite interesting. No Clip has ashort documentary about the shift:

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Sequel to the much-praised Hyper Light Drifter, but it's now an open-world 3D third person Roguelike, unlike the original's 2.5D/pseudo-isometric look. Looks quite interesting. No Clip has ashort documentary about the shift:

I really liked Hyper Light Drifter and am really into roguelikes, so this is already in my Steam wishlist. Less stoked about the 3D, but based on the trailer, it looks like they've done a good job translating the first game's artwork into the new style.

I wonder how long it's going to take for Sony to port TLOU2 over to PC.

Clearly, PC gamers are going to be clamouring for the second game to be released on PC as soon as possible, given the success of the TV show and the very likely success of the first game on PC, but it took them ten years since the release of the first game on PS3 to finally port it to PC.

It's possible they'll do a complete graphical remake like they did for Part 1 on PS5, but the graphics and mocap in Part 2 are already amazing as they are, so I'm not even sure what could be improved.

1 hour ago, psynetik123 said:

Clearly, PC gamers are going to be clamouring for the second game to be released on PC as soon as possible, given the success of the TV show and the very likely success of the first game on PC, but it took them ten years since the release of the first game on PS3 to finally port it to PC.

It's possible they'll do a complete graphical remake like they did for Part 1 on PS5, but the graphics and mocap in Part 2 are already amazing as they are, so I'm not even sure what could be improved.

Ten years ago, Sony wasn't releasing any of their exclusives on PC.  Now, it seems like they're releasing most of them a few years after their console release.  The second game is already a couple of years old, so I'm guessing next year for the PC release since Part One comes out later this month.  

And there's no chance they'll rebuild it from the ground up.  There's no need with Part 2.  It's still one of the best looking games out there and only two years old.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Ten years ago, Sony wasn't releasing any of their exclusives on PC.  Now, it seems like they're releasing most of them a few years after their console release.

Can haz the rest of Uncharted pretty please? 

4 hours ago, psynetik123 said:

After Season 2 of the show finishes, given the timing of Part 1's release.

Been playing Hogwarts Legacy on my own and replaying Dark Souls 3, with 3 friends. Having more fun with the latter, than the former, but mostly because we agreed to play as classes we normally never use. I ended up with being forced to play the game as a dex build and only use a spear. 

13 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Can haz the rest of Uncharted pretty please? 

That would require a ground-up remake, which obviously could then be released on PS5 as well. They've indicated it would be a colossal amount of work and is not on the horizon at the moment.

Forbidden West and LoU2 will come to PC, but it's hard to say exactly when. 2 years at the low end (so LoU2 could come quickly and FW next year), 3-4 at the high.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

That would require a ground-up remake, which obviously could then be released on PS5 as well. They've indicated it would be a colossal amount of work and is not on the horizon at the moment.

But I wants it, Wert, I wants it! :( 

Arg, Steam sale again!? were they always this frequent? Must...resist. One more week till Resident Evil 4! I started playing 5 in the meantime. Not a bad game by any means, it's a lot of fun co-op. But man what a terrible Resident Evil game. 

Edit: oh the Deck itself is one sale too. $360 for the 64gb model. I dunno that $40 bucks was holding anyone back from ordering one but still nice. 

Edited by RumHam

Finally figured out why the Harry Potter game was having this screen-wavey-problem (I'm technologically illiterate) so I'm hoping to dive back into that and finish it. :) I turned on V-sync and locked the framerate at 60fps which cured the problem immediately. 

Also, they have to be thinking about how to do an MMO off of this, right? Or maybe a sorta-MMO, like you can Schedule Link missions to do with friends or something. Like Destiny, but with Harry Potter. And maybe good

I don't know nothin about making videogames, but it just seems like a no-brainer to me to use this foundation to take another step towards playing with friends. 

Hell, a Dueling Club where like you get automatched with others??? An actual leaderboard and shit that you can work your way up? That'd be awesome. 

Gave up on Sims 4 after a few short plays. I must have had more patience when I was thirteen, or just have been massively bored. 

Instead, went back to my Steam library to go back to a couple of games I first bought around 2013/2014, played once, liked, but didn't revisit. First up was Deus Ex: Human Revolution which was fun. The characters do all tend to come across as kind of bland and straight from a cyberpunk cut-out book, but the flexible gameplay and exploration was great. Though I found myself oddly missing the original's random paper copies of Chesterton's The Man who Was Thursday lying around. 

Now playing Mass Effect 3, first time with the DLC installed. (I have no idea how I've somehow acquired the ME3 DCL when I didn't have it on my one original playthrough, but not complaining.) It feels faster-paced than Deus Ex, especially since I was playing the non-violent route, and blasting, sniping and throwing grenades at monstrous zombie aliens does have a fair bit of entertainment value. Writing-wise, the character differentiation and tonal shifts feel stronger here too. That said, it's taken me till now to stop walking up to things and pressing 'E' then getting frustrated when nothing happens. The scenery is very unresponsive if you've come from throwing random objects around, and the pathways through feel more limited. But hey, I've got lots of big guns that make things go boom. I like the Prothean. 

Since there are a lot of book and literature fans on this forum I thought I'd point out that there is a company that is working on a War of the World survival horror game.

The video seems to contain some design sketches along with some gameplay.

I spent about an hour with Diablo IV beta last night.

Three classes of the five were available.  (Necro and Druid unavailable)  I played as a Barbarian.  Didn't get far overall, but the game definitely feels like Diablo.  Looking forward to the next open beta weekend to try to dig in a bit more.