Videogames 2023: Dreams of the Sandbox Kings

IlyaP

3 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I did get rid of my Lewis DVDs because I can’t stand to see Lawrence Fox anymore.

I confess I don't know who this is, so this is kinda lost on me. A UK thing? 

Just now, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I think that in a capitalist society you also have to respect organizations that say otherwise and are picking specific battles. Calling them hypocritical for choosing that specific high profile one while saying no one should be mocked for doing nothing is not a reasonable or ethical decision; if you don't mind people not boycotting you should also not mind people boycotting for similar reasons. Even if it is not the most utilitarian choice to make a difference. 

And like it or not, Rowling is one of the most high-profile anti-trans activists out there. 

It's a capitalist society; feel free to judge too. 

As I keep saying, boycott away.

But it’s hypocritical to then judge other people who don’t boycott while you give money to other people who have done far worse to the certain communities, because their product is something you really want.

1 minute ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

As I keep saying, boycott away.

But it’s hypocritical to then judge other people who don’t boycott while you give money to other people who have done far worse to the certain communities, because their product is something you really want.

It really isn't; it's only hypocritical if they are doing it for precisely the reasons you state and are supposedly maximizing utilitarian values based on your backing. Otherwise just because they could be doing more does not make them hypocritical. Perhaps they're doing it to show solidarity with a community who has picked that battle. Perhaps they are doing it because it's much higher profile. Perhaps they're doing it because they really hate that one person in particular. Perhaps they're not doing it to that other group because that other group provides them with more intrinsic value. None of that is hypocritical behavior. 

5 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I confess I don't know who this is, so this is kinda lost on me. A UK thing? 

A tv detective series, spun off from Inspector Morse. Generally involved posh, pretty young women and arrogant private school-educated young men getting murdered in the vicinity of Oxford University.

And utterly ruined for me now.

17 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

A tv detective series, spun off from Inspector Morse. Generally involved posh, pretty young women and arrogant private school-educated young men getting murdered in the vicinity of Oxford University.

Ah, not the sort of thing I'd normally watch. Ended up reading all about Mr. Fox, and uh...the word "ew!" comes to mind. I'm sorry to hear the show - which you clearly like! - was ruined for you by him. 

56 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Tolkien has released four new(ish) books in the last six years, fifty years after he died. He's on a roll.

So is that...necrofolio - the art of turning over a new page? :)

Sorry, I'lll see myself out. 

3 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

It really isn't; it's only hypocritical if they are doing it for precisely the reasons you state and are supposedly maximizing utilitarian values based on your backing. Otherwise just because they could be doing more does not make them hypocritical. Perhaps they're doing it to show solidarity with a community who has picked that battle. Perhaps they are doing it because it's much higher profile. Perhaps they're doing it because they really hate that one person in particular. Perhaps they're not doing it to that other group because that other group provides them with more intrinsic value. None of that is hypocritical behavior. 

Again, there's nothing wrong with not liking Rowling or not wanting to play a game associated with her; for any reason.

Well, there are some reasons that are stupid. Like being anti-witchcraft or anti-women's literacy... but nobody here is arguing shit like that...

When IllyaP responded to me recommending the game to Rhom by saying that she didn't have interest in the books or movies we had absolutely no conflict between us. This is what I wrote in response:

On 3/25/2023 at 12:45 AM, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Well, nobody's perfect.

And then I went on to describe to Rhom why I was so excited about the game. There's no conflict at this point, nothing. IllyaP expressed she's not interested and I had a three-word cheeky acknowledgement. It was over. 

Buuuut... 

Yo, I take offense. 

I, ME

Take offense, and don't want to take offense quietly anymore, at the supplemental use of evangelizing and whole cloth words -one in particular- that tell me how I'm supposed to feel about art or an artist.

"Trans-Exclusionary"

(I'm not even going to get into the imbecility of supposedly-liberals deriding people for being "Radical Feminists") 

< But real quick, while we're here; the word you're looking for is "Reactionary", nice edumacations y'all dun gotted, huh?> 

I've made very clear why Harry Potter is not exclusionary to anybody. With clear and functional language, including personal anecdotes that I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SHARE in order to defend my right to have a positive, or even neutral, opinion about somebody or their art. 

3 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Yo, I take offense. 

I, ME

Take offense, and don't want to take offense quietly anymore, at the supplemental use of evangelizing and whole cloth words -one in particular- that tell me how I'm supposed to feel about art or an artist.

"Trans-Exclusionary"

(I'm not even going to get into the imbecility of supposedly-liberals deriding people for being "Radical Feminists") 

< But real quick, while we're here; the word you're looking for is "Reactionary", nice edumacations y'all dun gotted, huh?> 

I've made very clear why Harry Potter is not exclusionary to anybody. With clear and functional language, including personal anecdotes that I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SHARE in order to defend my right to have a positive, or even neutral, opinion about somebody or their art. 

TERF is hardly a new or particularly novel term and for a long time was a self-identifying term. You're just flat out wrong (and reactionary) if you believe that groups shouldn't be able to label themselves with new terms. 

And while you made it clear why you think that HP isn't particularly exclusionary that is not remotely a shared experience or agreement. Congrats that you don't see it that way, but so the fuck what?

51 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

TERF is hardly a new or particularly novel term and for a long time was a self-identifying term. You're just flat out wrong (and reactionary) if you believe that groups shouldn't be able to label themselves with new terms. 

And while you made it clear why you think that HP isn't particularly exclusionary that is not remotely a shared experience or agreement. Congrats that you don't see it that way, but so the fuck what?

And now it's a derogative. Only ever used by 'leftists' to browbeat others into joining in -or at least not challenging- stone throwing. 

I think that's scummy and underhanded. When IllyaP calls J.K. Rowling a TERF that is an attempt to checkmate me into either not defending my appreciation of an artistic expression or risking implication that I might be a TERF too, or TERF-defending.

Evangelizing speech. An attempt to convert or shame my opinion away from me by condensing of information into binary. One can either enable TERF or oppose TERF. Words don't just mean things, statements do too. 

Y'all can throw stones at whomever you please. I throw stones at Disney and would throw a brick through the head of a certain traitor who tried to steal my government away from me and my fellow citizens if given a seconds' opportunity. 

I don't argue, or let lazy copycat speech techniques imply for me, that folks who are being manipulated by Disney are doing anything wrong. I don't even do that about Trumpies anymore, because I want to accomplish things beyond making myself look or feel superior to folks I'd rather get along with. 

And I don't -think- Harry Potter isn't exclusionary. I know it isn't. 

Gimme your reasons why it is. I've already explained why it isn't. 

I mean, seriously. Do you not see how lazy that second statement of yours is? "... not remotely a shared experience or agreement." 

What does that even mean? 

That the earth isn't round isn't a remotely shared experience or agreement- not anymore

That transwomen aren't women isn't a remotely shared experience or agreement - I thought they were still wrong, eh? :uhoh:

Obviously the speaker isn't talking about J.K. Rowling, isn't discussing "TERFs".

Absolutely not intended to repurpose the speakers' words to inherently support my position as stated here: This is not a one-to-one comparison. I have no idea about how the speaker would reply specifically to this specific conversation. 

But here's an example of how you might use your language to disagree with people of a vulnerable class without calling them names or encouraging (even 'unconsciously') death threats against them: 

<You may recognize the speaker!

58 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

And I don't -think- Harry Potter isn't exclusionary. I know it isn't. 

Gimme your reasons why it is. I've already explained why it isn't. 

Nah, I won't. There's very little value in engaging with you in the state you're in. 

I mean, seriously. Do you not see how lazy that second statement of yours is? "... not remotely a shared experience or agreement." 

What does that even mean? 

It means a whole lot of people out there disagree with the notion that HP is not exclusionary. And you saying it really hard or with cool colored lettering does not make it so.

That the earth isn't round isn't a remotely shared experience or agreement- not anymore

Yes, because people disagreeing about a book is equivalent to the physical manifestation of time and space.

Uh, two things? 

1. I'm a dude. A bespectacled beardo at that :)

2. I referred to JKR as a terf because it's an objective fact, on account of her fulfilling the criteria. 

While I am aware that some have tried to turn ir around and decry it as an insult or slur - seemingly as a kind of epistemological validation, though numerous linguists and academics have pointed out it doesn't qualify as a slur and have detailed how and why. 

That said, I'm not going to judge anyone for playing the game. It's not how I operate. 

Though I will say if you've not yet played Cloudpunk, I encourage you to do so right now, as this adorable little cyberpunk courier game is fantastic and Harry Critchley's score is wonderfully moody and complements the game extremely well.

1 hour ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

I think that's scummy and underhanded. When IllyaP calls J.K. Rowling a TERF that is an attempt to checkmate me into either not defending my appreciation of an artistic expression or risking implication that I might be a TERF too, or TERF-defending

Gods no! Not remotely! 

By all means, enjoy the game! I won't judge or make some impossible leap of logic that equates playing it with terfiness! That's just...no! That's not who I, by nature, am as a person. I'm curious, not judgmental, to shamelessly cite Ted Lasso :)

27 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Nah, I won't. There's very little value in engaging with you in the state you're in. 

Non-responsive 

It means a whole lot of people out there disagree with the notion that HP is not exclusionary. And you saying it really hard or with cool colored lettering does not make it so.

Non-responsive 

Yes, because people disagreeing about a book is equivalent to the physical manifestation of time and space.

Selectively non-responsive 

Still love ya. :cheers: Appreciate that you care about trying to support/defend people like me.

I'm sorry, but I don't care what some board or committee decides is or is not qualifying as a derrogatory. 

Neocon and neolib aren't words that will get shocked gasps if used in public- they're still used as derrogatories. Context matters. 

Sorry for calling you she, IlyaP. My bad. And I disagree about the utility, and implications, of your speech - I got nothing against you besides this argument we're having here. 

Arguing is important. :cheers: It helps uncover truth

Eta: Bean Picker is a job description, a real one. Call an Hispanic guy that in America and you're gonna have a problem.

Edited by Secretary of Eumenes

9 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Meanwhile, some updates on both Dragon Age 4 and the next instalment in the Mass Effect series, courtesy of Garth over at Dark Horizons.

I'm not a hater on Dragon Age III, I thought it was fun when I played it. But I've never finished a second playthrough after multiple attempts- never gotten to that DLC that's supposed to tie it to DA: IV, this could be a motivation to do so. I most-definitely love the Character Creator in DA: III, I just get board with resource gathering and stuff. Still, optimistic! 

Mass Effect: Andromeda (In IRL I make my disdain for this one known my pronouncing it " And Droh Me Dah"... that's a different story. I was very, very, optimistic about that one. But... wow. Talk about a game that felt empty and incomplete upon release! Ugh! :ack: To say nothing of the almost-antithetical story type when compared to the Orig-Trig.

And I'll go to the mat to defend Mass Effect 3, stupid StarChild and all. 

Gotta say, upgrading my laptop has been an insane night and day experience. I didn't think I'd get another Lenovo as I found the Yoga I've used for the past few years to be wildly disappointing, but the Legion so far is a delight and the few games I've played on it look incredible.