Videogames 2023: Dreams of the Sandbox Kings

IlyaP

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, I unplugged everything on Saturday and haven't touched it since I brought it in Sunday. If that's behind it why would it take a few days to suddenly turn on?

If it's sluggish for months leading up to this, imo you're likely dealing with a RAM issue or your SSD. Have you tried safe mode or can you not get to that screen?

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

From a story standpoint, I agree that I liked what they did with DA2.

From a gameplay standpoint it was a bit of a mess.  Massively reused locations (how many places can all have the same cave map?!!?) and then throwing out any real strategic approach to combat as waves of enemies drop in from above.

Even so, I liked it far more than DA:I.

Games do tend to reuse assets, it's a known thing. DAE in particular, in part due to its wildly accelerated and unrealistic 18 month production timeline. That they managed to pull that game out in 18 months is astonishing. 

3 hours ago, Raja said:

If it's sluggish for months leading up to this, imo you're likely dealing with a RAM issue or your SSD. Have you tried safe mode or can you not get to that screen?

Safe mode was never an option. From Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon it would not turn on. Didn't matter if I quickly touched the start button or held it for 30 seconds. The keyboard would light up and you could hear the fan starting like normal, but it would last for a second or two and then nothing. That's why it's a headscratcher for it to be just fine yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Safe mode was never an option. From Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon it would not turn on. Didn't matter if I quickly touched the start button or held it for 30 seconds. The keyboard would light up and you could hear the fan starting like normal, but it would last for a second or two and then nothing. That's why it's a headscratcher for it to be just fine yesterday. 

It's not uncommon for this to happen given that it's been sluggish for a while. If the people think it's a motherboard issue and not worth it, then you're probably out of luck. I'd take it/ send it to them, if you haven't done so already.

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

From a story standpoint, I agree that I liked what they did with DA2.

From a gameplay standpoint it was a bit of a mess.  Massively reused locations (how many places can all have the same cave map?!!?) and then throwing out any real strategic approach to combat as waves of enemies drop in from above.

Even so, I liked it far more than DA:I.

I like the idea of DA2, but I have zero desire to replay it.

My memories of playing DA2 are 10% fun, 90% fighting off waves of one of three types of enemies in the same fucking warehouse/cave map with the boxes and walls rearranged slightly.

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

I just always assumed that they hadn’t really established the Qunari as an entirely separate race as if DAO.  I know I just always thought of Sten as a big human. :dunno: 

And remember that the Qunari use the term "Qunari" to mean "anyone who follows the Qun", not just members of the race everyone else calls Qunari. So it's entirely consistent with the setting for Sten to just be a big human who follows the Qun.

18 hours ago, IlyaP said:

They did OK with the Uncharted port, in their defense. 

I never played it, but apparently it launched in a horrendous state as well. The difference appears to be that a Day One patch actually took care of the some of the worst problems and a bunch more issues were addressed very quickly. By the end of the first week it was in a reasonable state.

If they can repeat that here, that'd be good.

So how does all this work as far as a negative review on Steam?

If they patch it and the issues are resolved, will people be specifically prompted if they want to change their review?  Or do players have to go back in specifically on their own volition to make a change?  

How does a game ever recover from a bad launch?

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

If they patch it and the issues are resolved, will people be specifically prompted if they want to change their review?  Or do players have to go back in specifically on their own volition to make a change?  

It depends. I think Valve sometimes just smoke a ton of bad reviews if they are based on tech issues that have been solved (since it impacts Valve's bottom line as well).

As for recovering, sure. New Vegas recovered from a catastrophic launch to become the best-regarded Fallout game. Horizon Zero Dawn and even Cyberpunk 2077 launched with very poor launches to become well-regarded.

Though honestly the CP2077 launch on PC was mostly good to begin with. It was the console ports, especially the last gen console ports, which were horrific - and they wouldn't have reviews on Steam. In those cases both Playstation and Xbox put in policy changes and specific verbiage on their store to indicate that CP2077 was below their quality standard. Playstation took it off their store entirely and Xbox gave full refunds for it for over 6 months, which amusingly meant that CP2077 became an excellent xbox-exclusive that was essentially free to play for everyone. 

4 hours ago, Raja said:

It's not uncommon for this to happen given that it's been sluggish for a while. If the people think it's a motherboard issue and not worth it, then you're probably out of luck. I'd take it/ send it to them, if you haven't done so already.

I ended up just buying a Lenovo Legion and am going to give the old one away. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Steam already addresses this to an extent by showing you how a game has fared for all reviews, but also showing you just the feedback from recent reviews. 

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I never played it, but apparently it launched in a horrendous state as well. The difference appears to be that a Day One patch actually took care of the some of the worst problems and a bunch more issues were addressed very quickly. By the end of the first week it was in a reasonable state.

REALLY?

I confess this is honestly news to me - I was playing it on Day One and had no problems. There was a patch that caused some mouse sensitivity problems, which was fixed up a week or two later, which did annoy me ever so slightly, but was manageable regardless.

Archived