Will Daenerys go mad? If so how?

Craving Peaches

I don't think it's certain but I can see it happening in the right circumstances. Everyone has a breaking point and so on. What could happen is that Daenerys thinks she's done a lot for the people of Westeros by saving them from the Others with her dragons but they still refuse to accept her as queen, and will never give her the level of adoration that the people she's freed give her. Eventually, combined with some other things like losing people close to her the, populace's constant rejection of her after everything she believes she's sacrificed for them becomes too much for Daenerys, and she snaps.

Edited by Craving Peaches

48 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

Like believing all lives are forfeit so she can rule a country shes never set foot in by divine right of birth? That sort of maddness.

I agree it's very entitled but other characters in the story also have the view that they are entitled to rule places. Most of the nobles in Westeros think this. Stannis goes on and on about how the throne is his by rights.

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I agree it's very entitled but other characters in the story also have the view that they are entitled to rule places. Most of the nobles in Westeros think this. Stannis goes on and on about how the throne is his by rights.

Daenerys is not aiming to replace liberal democracy with absolutism.

15 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Daenerys is not aiming to replace liberal democracy with absolutism.

Though you could make the argument that she might want to replace Westeros' feudalism with absolutism, as that seems to me to be slightly more similar to her ruling style in Slaver's Bay. But to the majority of the continent when Daenerys comes they will just be exchanging one overlord for another, at least initially. Though I could see her enemies trying to play up that she's foreign and a slaver to detract support.

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

Though you could make the argument that she might want to replace Westeros' feudalism with absolutism, as that seems to me to be slightly more similar to her ruling style in Slaver's Bay. But to the majority of the continent when Daenerys comes they will just be exchanging one overlord for another, at least initially. Though I could see her enemies trying to play up that she's foreign and a slaver to detract support.

After years of aristocratic warfare, that might come as a relief to a lot of people, as the Tudors and Henri IV did.

24 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

It IS his by right dammit

One realm, one god , one king!

Stannis stannis stannis!! 

Yeah but she actualy found happiness..had she walked away from.her claim and her brother shed prob be a happy khaleesi baby mama to a mass murderer who wants to sack cities

13 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Dany thinks she is above gods. She owns slaves, buys thousands more, decides she’s Gonna abolish slavery, outright kills(including children) or causes the death of tens of thousands or maybe even more, then decides to reimplement a milder form of it in Meereen and gets money from that and then decides Yunkai and Astapor ara gonna be slaver cities. 

Where I live there’s a tale/joke. The lord/whatever feudal owner of the village buys a magnificent carriage and horse, the envy of all he and one of his peasants travel to the town, he on his carriage and peasant walking. On the road he sees a huge steaming pile of shit. To have some fun, he tells to his peasant “if you eat it I’ll give you the carriage” peasant  eats it and he gives him the carriage and continues on foot. Peasant isn’t happy that he ate shit, his pride is hurt and having lost his carriage, lord isn’t happy  either. Sometime later they see another steaming pile of shit.  Peasant says “if you eat this shit I’ll give you the carriage back.” Lord eats the shit and they continue. On their way back to the village, the peasant asks “My lord, when we were leaving you owned   the carriage and I was afoot, now on our return you still own the carriage and I’m still afoot, now let me ask you this, why then did we eat this shit?

When Dany came there was slavery, she killed freeborn as young as 13, then tens of thosands of freed men and freeborn alike died. Before she flew away with Drogon, she reinstated it so there is still slavery. Why then, tens of thousands of freed men and freeborn alike lost their lives?

31 minutes ago, SeanF said:

After years of aristocratic warfare, that might come as a relief to a lot of people, as the Tudors and Henri IV did.

It would also be some progression for the relatively stagnant Westerosi society and bring them closer to an enlightenment, assuming they can even have one. Which would hopefully lead to better things eventually.

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

Stannis isn't exactly different. He thinks it's beyond him to worship gods. He has his brother killed, which the gods find taboo.

It’s entirely different. Stannis doesn’t believe while Dany keeps to Targaryen traditions of thinking themselves above gods. We have plenty of taboo doers.

Just now, Corvo the Crow said:

Stannis doesn’t believe while Dany keeps to Targaryen traditions of thinking themselves above gods.

Daenerys may view herself as being above other people because she's Valyrian but I didn't really get the sense that she thought she was 'above' the gods. The Valyrians of old thought this but I don't see how it applies to Daenerys.

10 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Stannis isn't exactly different. He thinks it's beyond him to worship gods. He has his brother killed, which the gods find taboo.

Dany is a pantheist, who appears to believe that all gods have some power.  Stannis is an atheist who seeks to use magic for his own ends.

18 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Daenerys may view herself as being above other people because she's Valyrian but I didn't really get the sense that she thought she was 'above' the gods. The Valyrians of old thought this but I don't see how it applies to Daenerys.

The way she acts. She acts as if she has a right over peoples lives. Owns slaves, frees them. Buys slaves, decides to abolish slavery. Kills slavers, including children, leaves the slaves to their own devices to eventually die. Reinstates slavery. 

Why did the people in slavers bay, freed men and freeborn alike, eat this shit, there was slavery, there’s still slavery, only difference is tens of thousands perhaps more died, what did this all serve other than to satisfy Dany’s capricious god complexes?

Edited by Corvo the Crow

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

Stannis acts this way too, as does Tywin and even Robb. Almost all nobles act like those below them on the feudal pyramid are disposable.

When your overlord says “fight”, you don’t have any choice in the matter. Nor, when he commands you to kill, pillage, burn the smallfolk on the opposing side.

I like to drag Dany whenever I get the chance, but she isn’t mad, just kind of incompetent at ruling. It’s possible she may be going mad as of the end of ADWD but I doubt it.

Targaryen madness is pretty overestimated, Baelor the Blessed, Rhaegal, and Aerys II being the only ones I would consider actually insane. Daenerys just isn’t a great ruler. She is a great conqueror, and it’ll be far too easy when and if she gains control of her dragons. But thus far her rule has been a disaster. I don’t think she’ll go mad, I think she’ll make bad decisions that could eventually lead to her death near the end of the series.

Edited by KingEuronGreyjoy