UK Politics: It's Time To Think The Unthinkable But This Lot Can't Even Think The Thinkable

Spockydog

Looks like there's a u-turn coming...

Steve Barclay privately concedes he will have to increase pay offer to NHS staff

Steve Barclay has privately conceded he will have to increase his pay offer to NHS staff, in a U-turn that may help to end the growing wave of strikes. However, the Treasury has made clear he will have to find any new cash from within the existing health budget, raising the prospect of cuts to key services.

Here's an idea...

Instead of robbing Peter's NHS budget to pay Paul, how about getting some of the billions back from all the Tory cronies who fleeced the public purse during Covid?

The logic here escapes me. 'I promise not to oust you as Prime Minister, a thing it is not at all clear that I could do if I wanted to, and which will inevitably happen anyway when you call an election. In return I want you to fix the selection process so that I can be party leader once you've lost the election'.

What do the Johnson backers think is Sunak's reason to take that deal?

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

What do the Johnson backers think is Sunak's reason to take that deal?

Well that bit's obvious - narcissism.
The deal would be good for Johnson, therefore the deal would be good for anyone and everyone; it's just QED.

The surprise is that the narcissism managed to accept that Johnson's election chances aren't great in his current seat.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

So what's the plan then? Starmer has already ruled out the only mechanisms to fix things. 

Either we rejoin the customs union and single market, or Ireland is unified.

Pick one. 

Unless of course Starmer is saying without saying that it's time to rejoin the customs union/single market. In which case, this is a political masterstroke. He can lend enough votes to render the ERG, and all the other hard Brexit nutters, completely impotent.

And as for the Red Wall he is so desperate to reclaim, this would be Sunak's decision, not his. 

Pretty sure Rishi was a Remainer. He's going to lose the next election, no whatter what. Might as well rejoin the EU. Lol. 

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Pretty sure Rishi was a Remainer. He's going to lose the next election, no whatter what. Might as well rejoin the EU. Lol. 

Not sure if sarcastic, or not.

However Sunak has always been a leaver. That was one of the ironies of the Tories picking a former remainer (Truss) as their standard bearer over a true Brexitist.

50 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not sure if sarcastic, or not.

However Sunak has always been a leaver. That was one of the ironies of the Tories picking a former remainer (Truss) as their standard bearer over a true Brexitist.

He's a slippery fucker, who saw which way the wind was blowing. Is what some people say...

Just now, Spockydog said:

He's a slippery fucker, is what people say...

Yeah, but he is one of those small state libertarian tossers, so Brexit (Singapore on Thamse) was (is?) one of his genuine beliefs.

Thus to rebrand him as a remainer is absurd.That's why I was genuinely not sure whether you were sarcastic.

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but he is one of those small state libertarian tossers, so Brexit (Singapore on Thamse) was (is?) one of his genuine beliefs.

Yeah, but isn't that basically most of them these days?

I dunno. There were accusations from certain wings of his party during the leadership election that he was a 'secret remainer'. This was obviously nothing more than Johnson's people putting the shits up the Daily Express.

Or was it...?

How does Sunak plan to resolve the NI question? Because it seems to me that if there was a non-customs union/single market solution that didn't involve a hard border, it would already have been implemented.

It also seems that there are many within his party who fear that Sunak is about to piss all over their Crunchy Hard Brexit Nutflakes.

Is all this stuff in the press about a Boris Johnson comeback designed to keep Sunak on the straight and narrow path towards economic self-immolation?

Sunak's always wanted Brexit - for the same reason as most of the right - the EU wanted to close down taxation loopholes.

Sunak doesn't care about NI, so he doesn't need to have a plan beyond just letting it fester.

Boris' potential comeback is about Boris wanting to lord it on the world stage; the extent that it has anything to do with Sunak is that Sunak is brown, and therefore vulnerable - but they can't say that, so they'll invent something about Brexit (because Brexit is Boris' bag now). Truth has only ever been incidental when it comes to tory lines of attack.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Sunak doesn't care about NI, so he doesn't need to have a plan beyond just letting it fester.

I'm not sure that's fair. Read the article here:

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2023/0114/1346568-ni-protocol-breakthrough/

Sunak seems to be actually making some progress on the NI problem.

15 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Sunak incapable of answering a fucking question. 

What knobhead.

Fair play to the interviewer, though the question, at least to Sunak, is somewhat moo.

Like a cow's opinion.

It doesn't matter.

This is a question for Starmer. Though one would expect a similarly slippery response. 

Archived