UK Politics: It's Time To Think The Unthinkable But This Lot Can't Even Think The Thinkable

Spockydog

2 hours ago, Raja said:
7 hours waiting for an ambulance after suffering a bleed in the brain.

For non-immediate-emergency-but-you-should-be-careful calls, I've seen waits of 2 and, in one case, 3 days for an ambulance crew to turn up (my current job is dealing with local government in this area).

7 hours for an immediate emergency, 999 call is extreme, though. I've seen them extending out to 3-4 hours which is bad enough, if someone is in immediate danger of severe injury or death.

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

For non-immediate-emergency-but-you-should-be-careful calls, I've seen waits of 2 and, in one case, 3 days for an ambulance crew to turn up (my current job is dealing with local government in this area).

7 hours for an immediate emergency, 999 call is extreme, though. I've seen them extending out to 3-4 hours which is bad enough, if someone is in immediate danger of severe injury or death.

It was initially a category 3 call, then should have been upgraded to 2 or 3 as she got worse. Category 3 are still classified as 'urgent' and should be answered in 120 minutes.

The scary part of this is elderly falls are so common, that I've certainly seen cases where someone's been on the floor for 10+ hours.

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Bryson only reported they wanted to change their gender just before the trial.. you missed that bit.

More deliberate misgendering.

Sigh I do tend to tentatively believe  that using they/them pronouns is a fair compromise with transphobes in regards to the workplace where they may have to address a trans co-worker or superior or subordinate.

Here where it’s used in the scheme of someone trying to argue trans women aren’t real women and that it’s okay for a rapist to be housed with women so long as that rapist is a cis woman it really seems ugly and cowardly.

On 1/28/2023 at 1:44 PM, Raja said:

Ants,

Karaddin said it best.

How is knowing his info is rubbish the same as me calling out where he’s deliberately been disingenuous and manipulated the argument to try and paint trans people as bad?

5 minutes ago, ants said:

How is knowing his info is rubbish the same as me calling out where he’s deliberately been disingenuous and manipulated the argument to try and paint trans people as bad?

I think that post from Raja was meant as ageement, not antagonism. There's plenty of room for a broad church here

The impression is certainly that Zahawi was not fired for dodging taxes, or even for reaching a settlement with HMRC while in charge of HMRC, but for repeated attempts to mislead people about what he was doing.

Anyway, as with all Tory ministers getting fired, he must be looking at Braverman and saying 'why am I getting the sack when she got her job back?'

ETA - Gove, who seems not to have known Zahawi was going to be sacked while he was on live TV, is now waffling about how Sunak has a 'profound moral seriousness'. I literally laughed out loud.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:33 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Heads, spikes, walls. For every minister, voter, local councellor etc etc.  These people have to answer for what they have done. This country is fucked. 

The way I see it, the only scenario for an early election is if the Tories think waiting until the end of the term will mean an even worse loss than what they will suffer if they go early. I'm incline to think they think they can ride out this shit show and convince voters things are getting better.

On 1/27/2023 at 6:53 PM, karaddin said:

Fuck yeah abolitionist. For the most part, I do think there are still some crimes that will need a smaller number of prison cells,

So you just want prison reform. 

I do too.

I do hate when leftists use the most explosive language that’s most likely to just get people who aren’t as or at least don’t run in as woke circles to immediately think of just getting rid of prisons altogether—when what they’re arguing for probably can resonate with a lot more people if they didn’t precede it with silly slogans.

Regan was a bastard but he was right on this: If you’re explaining you’re losing.

On 1/28/2023 at 10:42 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Morale is non existent, pay sucks and the decent ones are constantly being proffesionally embarassed by some of our colleagues behavior. We provide a terrible service and nobody is actually doing what they joined to do. 

I fucking loved this job when I joined, now I'm counting down the days (8 years, 3 months, 14 days). 

Unfortunate. I’m all for reinvestment of social services but I understand the need for a well maintained and well funded police force. 
Disagree with the bolded because because I imagine the people causing you professional embarrassment had some really bad motives to join up

30 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Unfortunate. I’m all for reinvestment of social services but I understand the need for a well maintained and well funded police force. 
Disagree with the bolded because because I imagine the people causing you professional embarrassment had some really bad motives to join up

Yeah, but that is an incredibly small percentage. The people that joined for the right reasons can't do the job properly. 

44 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So you just want prison reform. 

I do too.

I do hate when leftists use the most explosive language that’s most likely to just get people who aren’t as or at least don’t run in as woke circles to immediately think of just getting rid of prisons altogether—when what they’re arguing for probably can resonate with a lot more people if they didn’t precede it with silly slogans.

Regan was a bastard but he was right on this: If you’re explaining you’re losing.

If you think those severe crimes are even close to the majority of people in prison you're a long way off. And I'm not exactly an activist here, I'm just articulating my personal opinion on a forum with almost no one from my country reading it - of course I'd choose my language for the audience if I'm trying to convince anyone, such as when talking to my family. And I'd like to see a lot more of a change than merely prison reform, it would require wide scale cultural change to stop wanting to punish those found guilty of a crime and instead focus on rehabilitation and improving society. Much like there are a lot of people who would rather spend twice as much money and see 100 "worthy" people be denied welfare just to prevent one "unworthy" person receiving it, we should focus on the outcome - so much of this punishing people just damages society overall.

39 minutes ago, karaddin said:

If you think those severe crimes are even close to the majority of people in prison you're a long way off.

I do not.

41 minutes ago, karaddin said:

And I'd like to see a lot more of a change than merely prison reform, it would require wide scale cultural change to stop wanting to punish those found guilty of a crime and instead focus on rehabilitation and improving society

So would I.

I’m not nixing you personally on the substance on what you’re advocating for just think certain terminology could  be dropped.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

And I'm not exactly an activist here, I'm just articulating my personal opinion on a forum with almost no one from my country reading it - of course I'd choose my language for the audience if I'm trying to convince anyone, such as when talking to my family.

It’s an opinion I share honestly and I get you understand to try to modulate how you speak depending on your audience.

I know forecasts can be and have been wrong, but I always enjoy the Tory line when these forecasts are trotted out.

'We're going to do much worse than all other advanced economies'.

'Well, that just shows we're not immune to the problems all those other economies are suffering from'.

The logical disconnect...

Archived