Favorite and Least Favorite Character

Favorite is Aemond, with Alicent and Rhaenyra following close. And honorable mention to the best CGI character, Vhagar.

By least favorite, do you mean who I dislike as a person or who I think is not working as a character? For the former, probably Larys, but there's a tough competition, lots of messed up people.

However I'll take that to mean least favorite as in, doesn't work as a character, so my least favorite at the moment is Rhaenys. I have lots of issues about how she's written, especially after 1x09, and I'm not sure if she makes a lot of sense.

Of the major characters, I liked Viserys the most... but of course now he's dead.  Of the still-living adult characters, I would have said Rhaenys was my favorite prior to the idiocy of murdering hundreds of innocents while bursting through the Dragon Pit floor just to make a pointless show of her "power", and then the following episode saying (paraphrased): "I know that you murdered my son, but I'm going to support your cause anyway."  So now I very much dislike Rhaenys.

Really I only like some of the "children": Jace, Luke, Haelena.  Younger Alicent was my favorite character in the first half of the season, but I don't like (or dislike) older Alicent.  I don't like or dislike older Rhaenyra either, but (so far) I like her more than child Rhaenyra: I thought her child version was annoying and bratty and the show tried too hard to make her likeable.

Least favorite character: hands down Daemon Targaryen.  Not only do I hate his character, but he wrecks every scene he is in just for being in it.  I hardly watch any tv, but I haven't seen such an insipid character who annoys me this much in a long time.  I hate everything about Daemon.

One reason I don't really care for HOTD is that I simply don't find any of the characters compelling.  Some of the season seems rushed, other parts seemed dragged out for the purpose of character development... yet none of the characters seemed properly developed anyway.  Then again, I never liked the Targaryens.  Hopefully when more non-Targaryens are introduced in future seasons, they'll be more likeable.

Favorite character must be Aemond, love how his story was developed and that he kinda has a lot more depth than in the books. I'm excited to see all the things he'll do in the future. Plus, the casting was perfect for both actors, Leo and Ewan, in my opinion. Least favorite is Larys, ah, I can't, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite character is Corlys Velaryon, who I like and respect.  He's not perfect, he's ambitious, but he's not vicious and he's willing to learn from experience, and he genuinely loves his wife and kids (including the grandsons who are not his blood).  I also like Rhaenys Targaryen a lot (beautifully acted, too) and can't help but like Viserys even though he is not a good father (spoils Rhaenyra rotten when he's not neglecting her, then ignores his children by his second wife, and we all know where that leads).

My least favorite character is Larys Strong - can't wait to see him killed.  Eww.  Even Otto Hightower has the virtue of some love, or at least tenderness, for his daughter; Larys doesn't love anyone but himself.  (and Otto's a good villain; Larys is just a sleaze). 

Daemon is fun to watch - flashy and charismatic, a very pretty killer.  So is a tiger, and I wouldn't trust either of them.  Aemond?  Mad, bad and dangerous to know.  Another charismatic killer, and now he's a kinslayer.   

Almost everyone in the cast is credibly to terrifically acted.  (the one exception is Mysaria; maybe it's the accent, listening to her is almost painful)

For how little we saw of them, I liked Jace and Helaena both quite a bit. Surprisingly, I also liked Otto. He may not be a hero, but I don’t think he was completely without sympathy. The way he uses Alicent is often compared to how Tywin uses Cersei, but one key difference which I found very interesting is how, whereas Tywin always shut down Cersei and “put her in her place” whenever she tried to assert herself, Otto seems vaguely impressed whenever Alicent does the same. And although I don’t consider myself an Aemond stan, he has been massively improved from the books.

Least favorite is Daemon, a thuggish manchild who I don’t find remotely charismatic or charming. Criston is similar, and I wish they were a bit (or maybe more than a bit) subtle with Larys. I was also surprised by how little I liked Rhaenys. I found the character very inconsistent (like when she gave Alicent that anachronistic girlboss speech in E9 despite having spent all season two steps behind the men in her family, not even fighting for her granddaughter’s claim when Vaemond tried to claim Driftmark), and while Eve Best seems very charismatic in real life, I don’t know if she was the right choice for the role. Then there’s Mysaria, but she’s so outrageously bad that it doesn’t even require elaboration.

I’m torn on the two leading ladies. I think all four actresses are great, but the characters feel very watered down to me. I liked older Rhaenyra better than younger Rhaenyra, but the two were so completely different  that it didn’t feel like a natural progression, even considering the time skip. YR was a spoiled brat, while OR was perpetually calm, conflicted, and passive.

I think that, more than Tyrion, HOTD is missing a Cersei. One of the things that GOT did right was find a way to make Cersei sympathetic while also owning her dark side. And she was always fun to watch.

Also, this show still needs redheads. It’s not Westeros without redheads ;)

The character I enjoyed the most was Laenor Velaryon, principally I think because of the difference (improvement?) from the book version. I also liked the elder two Strongs. The show did bring home what a genuine disaster Lyonel Strong's death really was, and made Harwin into less of a pretty-boy thug as the books suggested. 

From the show alone, though, Viserys. 

• 2 months later...

Favorites : Aemond (surprisingly so might I add, I hated him in the books, I think adding the fact that he was bullied as a kid made him a lot more sympathetic to me), Alicent, Otto, Lyonel Strong, Viserys, Helaena

I'm very surprised about how much I like the Greens characters ^^

Least favorites : Daemon and Criston, I just want to punch their faces most of the time, Larys too, I wish Alicent would feed him to crocodiles (I had a dream about it).

Oh God, and Jasper Wylde is insufferable (chop off his balls already). As is Rhaenys.

Archived