Tully Madness

Sydney Mae

On 1/16/2023 at 8:10 AM, SeanF said:

Terms like "madness" and "insanity" are bandied around far too readily.

There is nothing to suggest that Catelyn suffers from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, or major clinical depression.

However, Catelyn does get increasingly depressed as her life goes from bad to disastrous.  Her husband and (as far as she knows) two sons, and a daughter, have all been murdered.  Sansa is a prisoner, and then Robb is murdered in front of her. She finally snaps.  At the point that she kills Jinglebell, she is almost certainly insane in the legal sense. 

But, it's not because mental illness runs in her family.  Her psychosis is triggered as a result of all the horrible things that get done to those that she loves. 

Don't forget that was after her beloved father died and her home wad burned to the ground.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Most people during those violent feudal times experience hardships and tragedy.

Few people will have their husband and three sons die in close succession, and lose their daughters all in the same few months. Few people will see their son butchered before their eyes after already losing their husband.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

The Tully sisters definitely have the genes for going mad.

That is simply. Incorrect. You have no authority to say this at all. 

2 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Few people will have their husband and three sons die in close succession, and lose their daughters all in the same few months. Few people will see their son butchered before their eyes after already losing their husband.

That is simply. Incorrect. You have no authority to say this at all. 

I'd be more wary of someone who didn't snap after losing their entire family. Especially after watching it happen, how does one regain composure and think clearly immediately after? And it's different for a parent. My parents would lose their sh*t too.

Just now, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

I'd be more wary of someone who didn't snap after losing their entire family. Especially after watching it happen, how does one regain composure and think clearly immediately after? And it's different for a parent. My parents would lose their sh*t too.

What do these people expect, that Catelyn will just think 'oh well' when (from her point of view) her last son and one of the last members of her family dies?

On 1/17/2023 at 6:36 PM, Shierak Qiya said:

That Lysa is nuts is evident.  Her son is underdeveloped emotionally, socially, and intellectually too.  There could be an issue with little Lord Robert as well.  Catelyn's sanity left her during her last moments as a living person.  So yes, there are causes for concern and the presence of a gene which predisposes the Tullys to going nuts is worthy of concern that should not be ignored. 

Definitely cannot be ignored.  It's not proof but the evidence of madness in the Tully line is there.   It is surely more than enough cause for concern for any Tully or Stark fan because it means Catelyn's children inherited it.  

On 1/19/2023 at 11:47 AM, Moiraine Sedai said:

The Tully sisters definitely have the genes for going mad. Most people during those violent feudal times experience hardships and tragedy. Most do not go mad. The Tully sisters did go mad. Catelyn passed this gene down to Arya.  

It's hereditary.  The Tully girls inherited it from their ancestors and passed it on to their children.  

These claims of "heredity family madness" in regard to families other than Targaryens seem to be 100% made by Daenerys Targaryen fans, and... what????  I don't think Dany is going to go mad, but if "family madness" is the claim DanyFanatics are making to slander the Stark children... what??????

The "maddest" character in this story is Mad King Aerys Targaryen.  Not only is he Dany's father, but she is an incest baby conceived when that raving lunatic raped his own sister.  Lysa Tully is the Stark children's aunt, not their mother.  Nor was their mother and father both Tullys.  Nor are the Tullys famously known for madness.  There is only one family in this story known for madness, and that same family inbreeds to ensure that their genetic deficiencies perpetuate through their "pure bloodlines".

On 1/15/2023 at 9:08 PM, Adelstein said:

I don't think that reacting irrationally to seeing your son murdered in front of you can be considered a sign of hereditary madness.

To the extent that killing Jinglebell even was irrational. Taking him hostage was entirely rational. Killing him was just following through - albeit unnecessarily - on that initial decision.

Cat went madder than Aerys in her minutes.  Aerys was driven to madness by his experiences in Duskendale.  Look if Aerys can go mad because of stress so can the Tullys.  It means both have the weakness in their families.  Arya and the other Stark kids have this gene.  The trauma of witnessing Ned's head dropping in the bucket drove Arya to insanity.

3 minutes ago, Rondo said:

Cat went madder than Aerys in her minutes.  Aerys was driven to madness by his experiences in Duskendale.  Look if Aerys can go mad because of stress so can the Tullys.  It means both have the weakness in their families.  Arya and the other Stark kids have this gene.  The trauma of witnessing Ned's head dropping in the bucket drove Arya to insanity.

Aerys was mad before Duskendale. Duskendale just lifted the last veneer of sanity.

On 1/17/2023 at 6:36 PM, Shierak Qiya said:

That Lysa is nuts is evident.  Her son is underdeveloped emotionally, socially, and intellectually too.  There could be an issue with little Lord Robert as well.  Catelyn's sanity left her during her last moments as a living person.  So yes, there are causes for concern and the presence of a gene which predisposes the Tullys to going nuts is worthy of concern that should not be ignored. 

It cannot be ignored and it should part of the factors to consider when evaluating the chances of Cat's children losing their minds.  I believe it has already happened to Arya.  Sansa has a smooth temper and good emotional control.  Being dumb doesn't mean she will go crazy.  I don't think Sansa will.  If another Stark besides Arya is to go batshit, it will be Bran.  Though I would not be surprised if it is only Arya who is crazy.   

On 1/25/2023 at 8:40 PM, Rosetta Stone said:

It cannot be ignored and it should part of the factors to consider when evaluating the chances of Cat's children losing their minds.  I believe it has already happened to Arya.  Sansa has a smooth temper and good emotional control.  Being dumb doesn't mean she will go crazy.  I don't think Sansa will.  If another Stark besides Arya is to go batshit, it will be Bran.  Though I would not be surprised if it is only Arya who is crazy.   

Tully madness is now on the table for discussion when talking about the sanity of Catelyn's kids. 

6 minutes ago, The Commentator said:

Tully madness is now on the table for discussion when talking about the sanity of Catelyn's kids. 

No it’s not, just because you want to push a narrative doesn’t make it true or at all reasonable

That Lysa Tully was mentally unstable I will give you.  She had a lot of unfortunate events occur which could explain it, mostly related to unsuccessful pregnancy.

Catelyn was perfectly fine up until Bran's fall.  Since then, it's been one calamity after another.  I'm not surprised she had mental issues.

There seems to be no indication of mental issues elsewhere with the Tullys.  Hoster, Brynden, and Edmure give every indication of being well-balanced individuals, nor have I read anything about Minisa Whent, Catelyn's mother, that would cause concern.

The only family with a history of madness is the Targaryens, probably connected to their inbreeding.  The Tullys are no worse than any other family.  This thread is 100% bullshit.  

Edited by Nevets