Tully Madness

Sydney Mae

On 1/29/2023 at 7:34 PM, Nevets said:

That Lysa Tully was mentally unstable I will give you.  She had a lot of unfortunate events occur which could explain it, mostly related to unsuccessful pregnancy.

Catelyn was perfectly fine up until Bran's fall.  Since then, it's been one calamity after another.  I'm not surprised she had mental issues.

There seems to be no indication of mental issues elsewhere with the Tullys.  Hoster, Brynden, and Edmure give every indication of being well-balanced individuals, nor have I read anything about Minisa Whent, Catelyn's mother, that would cause concern.

The only family with a history of madness is the Targaryens, probably connected to their inbreeding.  The Tullys are no worse than any other family.  This thread is 100% bullshit.  

Well, Hoster and Edmure have more intelligence-related issues but that's another issue entirely.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yet another thinly veiled hate thread posted, hilarity ensues b/c the ‘arguments’ are grounded on deranged wishful thinking rather than the text. Yawn. 

I had a good laugh at the 'Jon snow is likely to go insane' one as I predicted it with my own 'Jon Snow is Insane' thread, where I actually bothered to use quotations as 'evidence' of my claims...I fully intend to do a serious thread where we will discuss Jon's psyche in greater depth...

5 hours ago, Rondo said:

I will be using it to support my opinion during my next talk about Arya's mental state.  

But you can't really use it as support because there is no real evidence to back it up in the first place. It's like using one looney conspiracy theory as proof for another, like using the Moon Landings Were Fake to justify the existence of Lizard People...

On 1/15/2023 at 8:47 PM, Sydney Mae said:

The Tully sisters went mad.  Catelyn Tully-Stark and Lysa Tully-Arryn were showing signs of madness and emotional fragility.  Lysa had it from her youth to her death.  Catelyn lost it at the wedding.  She cut Aegon Frey's throat and killed him.  Catelyn went mad that minute.  There is insanity in the Tully blood.  Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon are half Tully.  Cat's brood inherited the gene predisposing them to insanity.  I know stress can trigger the disease.   

Lysa's own son is suspiciously under-developed.  Indulgence and over-protection alone cannot explain Robert's odd manners.  

3 hours ago, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes said:

Lysa's own son is suspiciously under-developed.  Indulgence and over-protection alone cannot explain Robert's odd manners.  

Yes it can. You are having to resort to the barest, weakest threads imaginable to weave your tapestry of Tully hatred. You and multiple other people have made stuff up out of nothing, completely contradicting the text, because you don't like the Starks and the Tullys. It is ridiculous.

On 1/16/2023 at 2:13 AM, Sydney Mae said:

The stress triggered the madness in Cat.  Ned's public execution triggered the same illness in Arya.  Something very stressful will happen to Sansa and she might break too.  Their blood make them vulnerable to madness

PTSD is not hereditary.  Arya, arguably, has a form of PTSD. 

Cat went mad at the very end, but that was just the final act in the classical Greek tragedy of her life.  We meet a happily married powerful noblewoman with five children and progressively: her middle son is crippled and rendered comatose, her husband and daughters are separated from her and then arrested / taken hostage, her husband is executed, her father dies perhaps of cancer, her elder daughter is married to a mortal enemy and her younger daughter disappears, her two younger sons are murdered and, finally, her last child is murdered in front of her face.  Sophocles could not have done any more to her.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:02 AM, StarkTullies said:

There's a sudden explosion of madness threads which are obviously joke threads, but it seems that this one is actually real?

It's not, at least no more or less than the others.  It's just a circle jerk for some people.  Establishing contrarian positions and then pretending the "alternative facts" are legitimate is apparently entertaining and empowering.  We all got to get our fun times somehow I guess.

On 1/16/2023 at 1:10 PM, SeanF said:

Terms like "madness" and "insanity" are bandied around far too readily.

There is nothing to suggest that Catelyn suffers from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, or major clinical depression.

However, Catelyn does get increasingly depressed as her life goes from bad to disastrous.  Her husband and (as far as she knows) two sons, and a daughter, have all been murdered.  Sansa is a prisoner, and then Robb is murdered in front of her. She finally snaps.  At the point that she kills Jinglebell, she is almost certainly insane in the legal sense. 

But, it's not because mental illness runs in her family.  Her psychosis is triggered as a result of all the horrible things that get done to those that she loves. 

Exactly.  But some folks have chosen a side and anything that makes the other side look bad is good and anything that riles the other sides' supporters is extra special fun. You'll have more luck convincing a MAGA crowd to drop election denial.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

Sweetrobin’s immaturity could be caused by an inherited disability. His mom was crazy. Aunt Cat went crazy. 

Both of them went 'crazy' due to external events. There is no evidence whatsoever that the Tullys are genetically predisposed to madness. People should cease and desist with these arguments that are clearly made in bad faith.

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Both of them went 'crazy' due to external events. There is no evidence whatsoever that the Tullys are genetically predisposed to madness. People should cease and desist with these arguments that are clearly made in bad faith.

I think Sweetrobin has some craziness from his environment.

1 hour ago, Nik_Targaryen said:

One example of this is Lysa Arryn, who is known to suffer from frequent mood swings and paranoia. Her madness ultimately leads her to kill her own husband and try to kill her niece, Sansa Stark.

No, what leads her to joining LF in killing Jon Arryn is the fact that she's been crazy in love w/ Littlefinger since she was a teenager. And,again, it's her love for Littlefinger that drives her to try to kill her own niece b/c she was jealous of Sansa. 

Another Tully family member who displays signs of instability is Catelyn Stark, particularly following the death of her husband and the outbreak of the War of the Five Kings. Her grief and anger drive her to make impulsive decisions and take extreme actions, such as releasing Jaime Lannister and executing Karstark soldiers

I'm not a Cat fan but I'd like to see you back up these claims w/ some - any! - textual evidence. Cat is one of the very few voices of reason throughout the story, up to the point where, after experiencing the loss of her whole family, she sees her last remaining son (as far as she knows) be cowardly betrayed and killed. 

Edited by kissdbyfire

Her grief and anger drive her to make impulsive decisions and take extreme actions, such as releasing Jaime Lannister and executing Karstark soldiers.

When did Catelyn execute Karstark soldiers? It was Robb who did that...

Releasing Jaime probably wasn't the best idea but it wasn't made impulsively, Catelyn had time to consider before she made her decision, it wasn't made in the spur of the moment.