The Last of Us (HBO Spoilers)

Relic

I would think we’d want one for the people that have played the game and want to talk spoilers there in conjunction with the show. I’ll wait for someone more educated than me to have a final say on it. Don’t want to crowd the board with similar threads. 

23 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I would think we’d want one for the people that have played the game and want to talk spoilers there in conjunction with the show. I’ll wait for someone more educated than me to have a final say on it. Don’t want to crowd the board with similar threads. 

Agreed.  Don’t think we really need a non spoiler thread for a show that’s currently airing.  Just don’t click on the topic if you haven’t seen the latest episode yet.  Not rocket surgery. 

Definitely should have a separate game spoiler thread, though, since a lot of us have played it. 

1 hour ago, Chad Vader said:

No need to speak about the video game. Theres not enough source material for this show like AGoT had. Unless this is only going to be a season or two.

The first season is adapting the entire first game.

1 hour ago, Chad Vader said:

No need to speak about the video game. Theres not enough source material for this show like AGoT had. Unless this is only going to be a season or two.

No need? The show exists because of the game lol. There’s a lot to talk about and compare between the two after just one episode. 

2 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Believe there were multiple threads for Wheel of Time for those who didn't want book spoilers and such.

For only show watchers, this isn't a spoiler, but it can earn you nerd cred, especially among game players. This is not a zombie show. The monsters are not undead, because they didn't die in the first place. This is a "natural", biological, could theoretically happen in a similar albeit not identical way phenomenon. In this world when you die you stay dead. If you die infected you just end up sprouting into a mushroom patch (not the good kind). So around game pedants don't say the Z word. the time the Z word is acceptable is when talking to people who have no clue about the show or the game.

Of course, y'all are smart enough to have realised this, but just wanted to note that in the geek-a-verse it is a distinction to be aware of.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

For only show watchers, this isn't a spoiler, but it can earn you nerd cred, especially among game players. This is not a zombie show. The monsters are not undead, because they didn't die in the first place. This is a "natural", biological, could theoretically happen in a similar albeit not identical way phenomenon. In this world when you die you stay dead. If you die infected you just end up sprouting into a mushroom patch (not the good kind). So around game pedants don't say the Z word. the time the Z word is acceptable is when talking to people who have no clue about the show or the game.

Of course, y'all are smart enough to have realised this, but just wanted to note that in the geek-a-verse it is a distinction to be aware of.

Having not played the game, as I was watching the episode I was mainly referring to them as the infected. Starting with that scientist dialogue was a great way to make everything clear. But funnily enough I believe the ants that get infected by that fungus are often referred to as 'zombie ants'.

Btw there was an interesting shot of two men in wheel chairs with missing limbs, a smart follow-up to the PSA earlier on that said how fast the infection takes over depending on the point of entry.

Just watched this. Liked the first half, especially the attempt to escape with the truck, and the initial jump into the "present" in quarantined Boston, but felt it dragged a little towards the denoument of the episode.

I don't entirely follow why the story goes the way it goes, though. Going to put this in quotes just so it doesn't show up in the preview...

So, Ellie is immune, and the Fireflies know it. Why aren't they just shouting it from the rafters? Fedra is running things under martial law because of the fact that there's no cure and they don't think there's any other choice, not because it's decided that dystopian apocalypse is great for them, right? 

And what solution did the Fireflies have to keeping people safe if they, too, believed (until Ellie) that they had to maintain a perfect quarantine to protect the population?

Presumably we'll learn more about the Fireflies and what alternatives they had to Fedra as the story progresses, because right now I don't understand what's going on.

Oh, yeah, so how much was Children of Men an influence on The Last of Us? Have the devs/writers ever noted it? There seem to be some strong parallels...

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

Just watched this. Liked the first half, especially the attempt to escape with the truck, and the initial jump into the "present" in quarantined Boston, but felt it dragged a little towards the denoument of the episode.

I don't entirely follow why the story goes the way it goes, though. Going to put this in quotes just so it doesn't show up in the preview...

Hopefully some of these questions are answered as the face(s) behind FEDRA have not been shown. I thought it was interesting that they still had US flags around, which means FEDRA is still trying to follow its original mission to quarantine and preserve, but they've gone overboard with their measures (the hanging executions are an indication of this), hence why the Fireflies do what they do.

Meanwhile I've been pondering why this fungus infestation has been so successful to begin with. Based on the helpful chart we get during that scene with the boy, it takes less than 24 hrs for someone to be fully infected from a leg bite, and from there the time decreases depending where the entry point is. So I'm not sure how this could have been so effective at spreading worldwide as such a fast pace. COVID, for example, has a much longer incubation period, and there were plenty of cases of asymptomatic people. But you'd think that with such a noticeable infection, that governments would have more time to react.

18 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Ok I mean that is true, but they pretty much follow all the basic rules around zombies.. I would still put them in the zombie category.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Ok I mean that is true, but they pretty much follow all the basic rules around zombies.. I would still put them in the zombie category.

It's like Danny Boyle not wanting to consider the 28 Days Later series of films as zombie films. Of course they are. 

A quick Google also shows a lot of contemporaneous commentary on the similarities between the game and Children of Men, so I guess that's just an acknowledged inspiration. You can definitely do worse.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Oh, yeah, so how much was Children of Men an influence on The Last of Us? Have the devs/writers ever noted it? There seem to be some strong parallels...

My guess to your quoted part is that they don’t trust a military dictatorship that hangs citizens for crimes to do the right thing with Ellie.  Like as not they’d just kill her to be safe and maintain power. 

I mean, it's hanging them because they broke quarantine when there's clearly a civilization-destroying fungal pandemic still around.

But I guess if it's just "We don't trust them", my question remains what is their alternative? They clearly don't deny that the infection exists and is very dangerous.

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

I mean, it's hanging them because they broke quarantine when there's clearly a civilization-destroying fungal pandemic still around.

But I guess if it's just "We don't trust them", my question remains what is their alternative? They clearly don't deny that the infection exists and is very dangerous.

Without spoiling anything, the Fireflies very much have a plan for Ellie.  I’m assuming they’ll reveal what it is in episode two. 

Archived