The Last of Us (HBO Spoilers)

Relic

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Speaking of Joel, he really screwed up by not going over the route through Kansas City before actually venturing in there. He could have both figured out what he was going to do and also get Ellie on board with helping him navigate. Maybe had he done so they could have just gunned it and gotten out of there.

Last episode kinda screwed up with the whole "10 miles from Boston" thing. Now apparently to get from the Boston area to Wyoming you have to pass through Kansas City? What happened to I-80? This show may be teaching us about cordyceps, but it sure ain't teaching us geography. :P 

13 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Last episode kinda screwed up with the whole "10 miles from Boston" thing. Now apparently to get from the Boston area to Wyoming you have to pass through Kansas City? What happened to I-80? This show may be teaching us about cordyceps, but it sure ain't teaching us geography. :P 

I saw Maizin said that they picked Kansas City because they felt it more easily fit their shooting location (Calgary).

18 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I thought it was clear that those people had recently rebelled against FEDRA and took them down, and were now busy hunting collaborators. Not quite your usual heinous bandits.

I’m curious to know what their definition of “collaborator” was.  If they offered any due process or if it was simply “shot to the head” for anyone Kathleen designated “collaborator”.  Which is at least as bad as what FEDRA was doing in the Boston QZ.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m curious to know what their definition of “collaborator” was.  If they offered any due process or if it was simply “shot to the head” for anyone Kathleen designated “collaborator”.  Which is at least as bad as what FEDRA was doing in the Boston QZ.

In the Inside the Episode they mention that has often been the case throughout history following an insurrection.  The new people in charge are often just as bad as the old ones. 

A pretty meh episode IMO. Very little occurred and I think it's main purpose was to build the relationship with Joel and Ellie. I don't know how much it succeeded. I think I might be just a little too jaded at this point but their relationship seems too familiar and well trodden that I keep imaging her as a small green floating magical yoda baby who happens to swear a lot. 

I also just don't like her very much as a character, she is a little too abrasive and smarmy and it's not clear if the actress is any good or not, or its just the way she is written. I certainly haven't warmed to her yet. 

Even Joel feels like a pretty boilerplate stock character right now, and maybe it's too much subdued memory of the game seeping in but I didn't find his inner pain all that interesting. I do think maybe if he wasn't played by Pedro it might be better because I'm just seeing Mando the whole time.

As for the plot, yeah it was fine. Again flashbacks to numerous carjackings in shows like TWD or Black Summer, so it all felt a bit too familar.

Is Kathleen realistic as a character? I'm not sure. We'll have to see. I imagine in such a scenario any leader needs to be fearless, decisive or at least exceptional at leading and organising. There were a few moments where she stumbled over her words, asked questions when she should have made statements which is the sort of thing any leader would be immediately dethroned for. But then she did just go and shoot someone so who knows.

Not sure what I think of this show now. Last episode was vastly superior. Whole show rests on the main two's relationship and can't say I buy it massively yet.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Very much felt like a bridge episode with some character building between Joel and Ellie. Very interested to see what they do with Henry and Sam.

I think it felt like part one of a two part story arc. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I thought it was clear that those people had recently rebelled against FEDRA and took them down, and were now busy hunting collaborators. Not quite your usual heinous bandits.

Like Ran said, we'll see how this pans out. But it seemed like the show was pushing the idea that humans are the true horror, and so one would think that the writers would want to conjure human antagonists who inspired some terror, not a group that inspires yawns.

Because the writers are fully in control of the narrative. This group could be a rebel group whose leader had a fearful presense and understandable motivation, etc. But they chose to go with someone who thus far is about as initimidating as my goldfish.

I got the "normal people will do bad things given the right situation" feel with Kathleen.  But not sure why the others would all follow her.  Seems the show is showing that people are as bad as the monsters.

I don't mind Bella Ramsey.  Overall I am enjoying the show.

57 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think it felt like part one of a two part story arc. 

Very much so. And from what Sepinwall said, the setup in this episode is very much needed for next week's, which he also said is excellent. There are always bridge episodes in middle of the season and I have no issue with that.

45 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Did I mention Bella Ramsay is terrible in this?

Yea, I don't agree. Think she's doing great work.

47 minutes ago, IFR said:

Like Ran said, we'll see how this pans out. But it seemed like the show was pushing the idea that humans are the true horror, and so one would think that the writers would want to conjure human antagonists who inspired some terror, not a group that inspires yawns.

Because the writers are fully in control of the narrative. This group could be a rebel group whose leader had a fearful presense and understandable motivation, etc. But they chose to go with someone who thus far is about as initimidating as my goldfish.

Yes, we need to see how it pans out, because I just don't think this group of antagonists is at the stage in their evolution where they are all about terrorizing people. They seem to be heading in that direction, though. So their leader is probably learning as she goes.

I don’t get the complaints about Bella at all.  I thought she was fantastic last night.  Her stubborn attempts to get Joel to smile with the terrible pun book were great, and paid off with the joke at the end. 

54 minutes ago, briantw said:

I don’t get the complaints about Bella at all.  I thought she was fantastic last night.  Her stubborn attempts to get Joel to smile with the terrible pun book were great, and paid off with the joke at the end. 

She strikes me as someone who is saying the lines, nothing else.  In fact, I can see her 'acting' and saying the lines and there is absolutely no sense for me that she's inhabiting the character at all.  But, others apparently see something else there.  

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

She strikes me as someone who is saying the lines, nothing else.  In fact, I can see her 'acting' and saying the lines and there is absolutely no sense for me that she's inhabiting the character at all.  But, others apparently see something else there.  

If she were just reading the lines, she’d probably sound a bit more British. :lol:

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I think it’s mostly that her face is incredibly expressionless, which might work in certain roles but so far I find it a bit offputting 

Archived