The Last of Us (HBO Spoilers)

Relic

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Count me as another who’s confused by the Bella complaints. I totally believe this Ellie would start to win Joel over. 

Btw I just saw that episode 5 will air early on Friday due to the Super Bowl. 

Only on HBO Max. Anyone watching with their TV HBO subscription needs to decide between this and Mahomes. 

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think it’s mostly that her face is incredibly expressionless, which might work in certain roles but so far I find it a bit offputting 

Maybe, but her entire performance strikes me as amateur and I'm shocked anyone thinks she's holding her own against Pascal.  

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Count me as another who’s confused by the Bella complaints.

Not saying this about anyone here, but there does appear to be a bunch of internet men hating on Bella Ramsey just because she's not Belle Delphine or some shit. It started before anyone had seen her performance.

As far as I can tell, Ramsey is crushing it.

My take on Kathleen is that she's the one who snapped and started the rebellion against FEDRA when they killed her brother, so as the inciting figure she's still in charge shortly after that. She might grow into the leadership over time, or she might get replaced - we're certainly seeing justification for the latter right here, chasing revenge over prioritising the safety of the settlement  - but for now the point is that you don't know who is going to be the rallying cry that stands up against abuse of power. It's not just the ones you'd think were likely candidates.

Just now, karaddin said:

My take on Kathleen is that she's the one who snapped and started the rebellion against FEDRA when they killed her brother, so as the inciting figure she's still in charge shortly after that. She might grow into the leadership over time, or she might get replaced - we're certainly seeing justification for the latter right here, chasing revenge over prioritising the safety of the settlement  - but for now the point is that you don't know who is going to be the rallying cry that stands up against abuse of power. It's not just the ones you'd think were likely candidates.

From the info given in the episode, it seems like her brother was a Firefly or an unbranded resistance fighter who got ratted out by Henry, who obviously was doing it to protect his kid.  

Seems possible her brother was a resistance leader and they turned to her when he was killed by FEDRA. 

Episode 4 felt quite flat compared to Episode 3, but I think it was a bit of a deliberate pallet cleanse, and some fan service for the gamers with scenes and lines lifted straight from the game before the next emotional roller-coaster starts up. I enjoyed the episode for what it was, but it might be viewed as the low point of the season by most. Interesting that sonme reviewers were only given the first 4 episodes to review, so they kind of ended their pre-release reviews on a bit of a lull. But still, it has overwhelmingly good reviews by the critics.

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Not saying this about anyone here, but there does appear to be a bunch of internet men hating on Bella Ramsey just because she's not Belle Delphine or some shit. It started before anyone had seen her performance.

As far as I can tell, Ramsey is crushing it.

For me, with the lines lifted straight from the game Ashley Johnson's delivery is better than Ramsey's. But if one is not playing the comparison game Ramsey is delivering those lines very well. When it comes to Ramsey's overall performance I cannot fault it, she's awesome. No spoilers for the uninfected (my pet name for people who have had no game exposure), but the scenes she really needs to nail to bury the haters for good are yet to come. After watching Catherine called Birdy I believe in her. I stopped watching GoT before she made an appearance there, so I don't have that performance to go on.

Ah yes, the episode didn't show Joel wilding swinging the air and missing about 10 times in a row, that's what it got wrong lol.

I was thinking back to the previous episode, and I think more subtle direction would have had Ellie open that drawer and the camera stays on her expression on what she finds, and then this episode opens with her with the gun.

I don't think the episode is a low point, but we're almost halfway through the season and it really doesn't feel like that, I feel like there's a lot of work for the show to do for it to feel like a satisfying season.

8 hours ago, karaddin said:

I guess the main issue with Kathleen is that she doesn't seem like the sort of person who could inspire a movement or get people to do what she says. She needs to command a level of respect in order to make that happen. It might well be that she has shown a level of passion and ruthlessness in the past that got her to this position. At the moment she has only shown it in patches. I'm willing to wait on her character, I like the idea that a very average person could rise to become a rebel leader through sheer motivation. Plus I liked the actress in Fargo.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

I was thinking back to the previous episode, and I think more subtle direction would have had Ellie open that drawer and the camera stays on her expression on what she finds, and then this episode opens with her with the gun.

I remarked to Linda that the pistol was "Chekov's gun" because its presence in the drawer was so very clearly sign-posted as ending up in Ellie's possession after all the times that Joel told her she couldn't have a gun. So I'm not sure they would have seemed anything more than disingenuous if they became coy with it at that point.

Maybe if they showed her seeing it, cut before she picked it up, and then skip the scene where she messed with it in the gas station, so you don't know for sure that she took it until the ambush scene.

Re: Kathleen, I like @karaddin's read. If she was basically the morally righteous person that people rallied around because of her brother -- who, for all we know, had been the leader of the nascent rebellion before her -- she might have simply been thrust into the position of leader (especially if it was to fill his shoes) even when it's quite clear she's mostly driven by a desire for revenge and is not particularly concerned with what happens after that. And now they managed to overthrow FEDRA, but she is ill-equipped for it.

We don't, also, know how long its been that this revolutionary group has been in charge. They could have taken over a month ago, right? Plenty of time for them to be so focused on what's next and hunting "collaborators" that the shine hasn't come off of Kathleen.

My guess is it's not been all that long since they took out FEDRA. If they are still actively looking for traitors and are convinced they're still in the city, within a few blocks of the QZ or even still within the QZ. And the number of cans in that hideout attic wasn't more than several days worth of food for two people, even with careful rationing. So some months since the overthrow at most?

Also Kathleen's jacket looks too new and clean for them to have gone too long being isolated from the FEDRA network, which is probably the only network with comprehensive, if limited, supplies of pretty much all the essentials.

I didn't mind this episode, but it did have a feel of half an episode. The map thing killed me, Kansas City is out of the way when heading to Wyoming, Chicago would have made more sense. I don't see any issue whatsoever with Bella in this show. Pedro throws me off a little because his speech pattern seems to match The Mandalorian, or I perceive it to match. 

15 minutes ago, Raja said:

I enjoyed the third episode a lot to be fair

Me too. I thought it was a sensational bit of television. Not everyone's cup of tea which is totally fine but it worked really really well for me.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I didn't mind this episode, but it did have a feel of half an episode. The map thing killed me, Kansas City is out of the way when heading to Wyoming, Chicago would have made more sense. I don't see any issue whatsoever with Bella in this show. Pedro throws me off a little because his speech pattern seems to match The Mandalorian, or I perceive it to match. 

The location didn't bother me. I get the logistical reasons for doing KC over Chicago so I just went with it.

Archived