The Last of Us (HBO Spoilers)

Relic

40 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

He is good but man his Texas accent is all over the place 

Well he is a Dornish man playing a Texan so cut him some slack...

Well he is THE Mandalorian playing a Texan so cut him some slack...

I thought he kept the accent consistent in the first half of the first episode, but has been playing it as having faded from 20 years in Boston/the QZ etc. You could record me talking at different times and different contexts and my Australian accent would be all over the place even without living elsewhere for an extended period of time. And that's without needing to bring in code switching as well.

I think there is always a lot of retroactive excuse making for actors when they just simply don't do a great job at an accent. The usual one being 'oh they have been travelling around so their accent is a real mix'. In reality it's just that the actor just didn't do a great job.

Can't recall anyone complaining about Pascal's Texan accent in Narcos, where he was playing the real-life Texan DEA agent Javier Peña, so I think @karaddin is right that Pascal's playing the accent as having faded after twenty years out of Texas and among what must be something of a hodge podge of people in the Boston QZ.

It's legit. I get told I somehow sound "European" after more than twenty years out of the US.

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

Can't recall anyone complaining about Pascal's Texan accent in Narcos, where he was playing the real-life Texan DEA agent Javier Peña, so I think @karaddin is right that Pascal's playing the accent as having faded after twenty years out of Texas and among what must be something of a hodge podge of people in the Boston QZ.

It's legit. I get told I somehow sound "European" after more than twenty years out of the US.

Did Pascal ever attempt to do a Texas accent in Narcos?

Just now, Heartofice said:

Did Pascal ever attempt to do a Texas accent in Narcos?

Yes, although Texas has an array of accents so Peña's was not the same as Joel's I think.

Besides the fact that he's shown himself capable of doing a consistent Texan accent before, I mean, the man grew up in Texas... seems hard to imagine that the "inconsistency" complaints is driven by anything other than stereotyping.

17 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I mean that some lines you will hear a thick Texas accent and then the next it’s just normal Pedro talking. 

His Texan accent disappeared faster than Elizabeth Olsen's generic eastern European accent.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yes, although Texas has an array of accents so Peña's was not the same as Joel's I think.

Besides the fact that he's shown himself capable of doing a consistent Texan accent before, I mean, the man grew up in Texas... seems hard to imagine that the "inconsistency" complaints is driven by anything other than stereotyping.

I think it's more then fact that his use of Texan accent is inconsistent and appears almost at random, so it is very noticeable. If he had just dropped it altogether then I doubt anyone would say anything.

27 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think it's more then fact that his use of Texan accent is inconsistent and appears almost at random, so it is very noticeable. If he had just dropped it altogether then I doubt anyone would say anything.

That's not how accents work, though. When they fade due to moving away from the environment in which you learned it, it's not like everything goes evenly.

Never played the games. Thoroughly enjoying the series.

Only thing that's annoying me is Eli seems way too upbeat for the situation they're in. I get that they're trying to create a contrast between her and Joel, but she uses turns of phrase that I wouldn't expect a kid who grew up in a post-apocalyptic world to know.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I moved from Michigan to Mississippi in the 3rd grade, then to Louisiana for 4th grade (got the yankee accent comments from everyone) and back to Michigan for 5th grade and stayed. I then had Michigan people commenting on my southern accent quite a bit but it faded over time as well. So 20 years removed, yeah it's going to change.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Inconsistent accent is how this works. I lived in London for 4 years and started to develop some englishness to my accent. When I moved back, over time, it started to fade but I still said certain words or inflections that had an english tilt. Accents aren't even.

5 hours ago, Darryk said:

Never played the games. Thoroughly enjoying the series.

Only thing that's annoying me is Eli seems way too upbeat for the situation they're in. I get that they're trying to create a contrast between her and Joel, but she uses turns of phrase that I wouldn't expect a kid who grew up in a post-apocalyptic world to know.

Her post apocalyptic world thus far has been lived entirely in a city full of people, most of whom were alive prior to civilization falling apart.  I don’t think most of our turns of phrase would suddenly disappear, and as she mentioned in the second episode, she clearly has access to books and knew what, for example, a hotel was. 

I haven't noticed a Texas accent, he sounds like Pedro Pascal.  The idea that he's done some deep dive into how an accent might flag after 20 years and is having the accent change on purpose v. that he, like  many, many other actors, lets the accent slip occasionally seems very far fetched.

14 minutes ago, briantw said:

Her post apocalyptic world thus far has been lived entirely in a city full of people, most of whom were alive prior to civilization falling apart.  I don’t think most of our turns of phrase would suddenly disappear, and as she mentioned in the second episode, she clearly has access to books and knew what, for example, a hotel was. 

Yes, but at the same time, I should think the generation born in the apocalypse would develop their own phrases. Just look at how each generation of teenagers tend to develop turns of phrase. Not sure I spotted that from Ellie. But I'm not sure the writers thought of that besides the names they've given the infected.

Archived