The Last of Us (HBO Spoilers)

Relic

Being a person whose workplace is in a mall on a second floor, the idea that escalators would still work after 20 years running without a hitch is more fantastical then the whole gas thing.  Escalators break constantly now with constant maintenance.

But I liked the episode. I like the actress for Ellie, very expressive.  The character I find very annoying however.

Given Riley was leaving the next day but the explosives were there I assumed Marlene would have been coming there to pick her and the gear up rather than expecting her to show up elsewhere.

44 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Given Riley was leaving the next day but the explosives were there I assumed Marlene would have been coming there to pick her and the gear up rather than expecting her to show up elsewhere.

Yeah, that was my thought too.  Which is why I didn't think they waited to die and then Ellie went seeking out Marlene.  "Fairly obvious in my opinion" (just kidding, Mex :) )

There was that whole discussion between Marlene and Ellie in episode 1 where Marlene said she put Ellie in FEDRA. So that needs some expansion. What if Marlene always knew that Ellie might have the immunity and when she sees her she doesn't just shoot her. Which is what will likely happen to Riley.

3 hours ago, grozeng said:

Yeah, that was my thought too.  Which is why I didn't think they waited to die and then Ellie went seeking out Marlene.  "Fairly obvious in my opinion" (just kidding, Mex :) )

Maybe. But to Quijote's point above, I think she killed Riley which lends a bit more weight to her decision of whether to stay with Joel or leave him (dealing with his death).

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I think she killed Riley

Didn't she tell Joel in the episode in Kansas City, when he apologized for her having to kill someone for the first time, that she had killed someone before?

Yeah, she killed Riley.

Yeah, I was thinking she killed Riley too.  But I don't think she went searching for Marlene.  I think Marlene found her and she hadn't turned and that's why she was chained up.  If Ellie knew how to find Marlene, that means FEDRA knew how to find the fireflies.  I am probably totally wrong, but to me it would not make sense for Marlene to be found so easily.  But how they portrayed Ellie, she could have just as easily started strolling down the street yelling "Fireflies" in order to find her.

46 minutes ago, grozeng said:

Yeah, I was thinking she killed Riley too.  But I don't think she went searching for Marlene.  I think Marlene found her and she hadn't turned and that's why she was chained up.  If Ellie knew how to find Marlene, that means FEDRA knew how to find the fireflies.  I am probably totally wrong, but to me it would not make sense for Marlene to be found so easily.  But how they portrayed Ellie, she could have just as easily started strolling down the street yelling "Fireflies" in order to find her.

You could be totally right. That makes sense too. 

Yeah, Ellie running down the street shouting "Fireflies" is more in alignment with her character so far and would be a great shoutout to her behavior in the game, where she famously could run around and make ridiculous noise while Joel had to be stupidly silent:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/19/audacity

Catching up on this thread now since I didn't watch the latest episode till yesterday. 

Two thoughts - 1) I found this previous episode pretty boring. Didn't really click for me. 

2) people bashing Ramsey, and Ellie, especially old men, are fucking weird. Imho the actor has done a pretty great job, and the character is completely fine. I have no idea how you can critique her while Stanning marvel movies and shit. 

I didn't know anything about whether this was adapting the game or not. I had thought maybe not, though, for a long while, because I thought that surely they were moving towards the end of the first game and as I understand it it had nothing to do with Silver Lake or anything like it.

But then at the end, well, parts of it were extremely obviously game-inspired (burning  lodge, Ellie sneaking around as the villain monologues and acts menacingly looking for her, Joel going from unconscious after several days to slaughtering people).

I liked the episode up until Ellie was captured, and then it started to wear a bit -- it was very tropey in a way that was not too interesting.

No problem with the performances, it was just very ... standard stuff. 

I also have to say that the idea that the main communal space, the lodge, going up in flames not drawing any attention or people trying to stop the fire seemed convenient, but I guess that's a game thing too.

As I understand it the big difference from the game to the show is that the game had you entirely in the PoV of Ellie and the game made it much more ambiguous if David was actually a bad dude. It was not actually clear at that point if Joel was going to survive, so having Ellie meet this new person who actually seems nice seemed like potentially the next phase of the game - you playing Ellie instead of Joel, you partnering with this other guy, etc. 

The show can't have that level of ambiguity and doesn't even bother with it, so the bad guy is signalled early and often about how mwahahaha evil he is. 

Otherwise this was another very close adaptation of the game, except it felt more rushed and less earned. 

I don't think there was really any question about Joel surviving his injury in the game.  I mean, yeah, he wasn't doing well.  And its a surprise when you switch over to Ellie.  But I don't remember ever thinking he was actually done, or that the remainder of the game would be focused on Ellie with David's group.

In the game, there is a sense of David being kind of suspicious from the start, but you're not sure if its legit or if you're just being paranoid.  A major difference is that there's an entire section (while you're waiting for James to come back with the medicine), where you have to team up with David to battle a bunch of infected.  Its probably one of the more difficult parts of the game, because you're kind of starting from scratch with Ellie.  And also, the final battle is just extremely tough (or at least I thought it was until I figured out a strategy for it).  So you start to build a bit of trust and rely on him in spite of your suspicions. . . and then James comes back, they reveal that the people you fought at the university were part of their group, and things proceed from there.

The other big difference, from my perspective, is that the interaction between David and Ellie when she's in the cage is a bit more subtle in the game.  It's not really clear that he's the leader of the whole community, he's not a pastor (which seemed generic and unnecessary), he doesn't say anything about her being his equal and how they should run things together.  He's super creepy and its at that point that you find out why he's really interested in her, but it doesn't go quite as far as the show.

I actually liked a lot of the episode.  There were some great parts to it.  But I do feel it was rushed, largely because they skipped the section where Ellie and David have to work together against a common enemy.  And also feel like they went a little over the top in having David talk about them ruling the community together, or whatever he said. 

The issue of things going too quickly has been my concern from the beginning, once I read that the entire first game would be done in 9 episodes.  I think they've done a really good job making it work up until now.  But the university and now the interaction with David are the first time where I wish they'd taken more time with it.  Adding another episode would have helped.  Or if that wasn't an option, then maybe restructuring the Left Behind episode so it was half flashbacks and half present day, so Ellie could start the section with David earlier.  Just something to let it build up more.

Archived