The Last of Us (HBO Spoilers)

Relic

31 minutes ago, Raja said:

I enjoyed the third episode a lot to be fair

Yeah, me too. It was a sweet, tender love story, and not at all what you would expect three episodes into a show about The Fungpocaclypse. But it wasn't even remotely the Best Episode Of Modern TV that many people were proclaiming it to be in the run up to its broadcast. 

And some might say that spending an entire episode on characters who are dead before the main story arc even begins is a waste of the audience's time, and somewhat self-indulgent on the part of the writers. 

Having said all that, I watched it again last night, and cried like a baby three times. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But it wasn't even remotely the Best Episode Of Modern TV that many people were proclaiming it to be in the run up to its broadcast.

That's the internet for you though. This isn't even something that's exclusive to this show. I've lost count of the number of times a show/episode has been declared the greatest thing ever online. It's just white noise now.

I think the 3rd episode gets a lot of praise for a few reasons, mainly that it shows a gay relationship between two less than attractive older gentlemen, and does so in a charming and believable manner. 

I also think it was just pretty unexpected given this is a tv show based on a video game and I think expectations were that it would all be running away from Clickers and shooty shooty.

Honestly if every episode was a different story like the 3rd episode I would probably prefer it. It just seemed a lot more interesting than everything else on the show so far.

I'm sure some of the praise of ep. 3 was related to the issue of representation.  However, it was emotionally resonant and more moving so far than anything else that has happened in the show.  It was for me by far the most interesting and enjoyable ep.

1 minute ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I think Bella is great, im hardly neutral though because she made such an outstanding impression on me in GOT, she has massive leeway with me.

I think her strongest acting is still ahead of for the role.

Pedro, is of course, nearly flawless.

Pascal has stoic… down.

As to the route in Ep. 4… if they are attempting to avoid major cities taking the interstates at all doesn’t make sense as the interstates will always route into major cities, but, yes I-70 is really weird given that they Started in Boston and that’s I-90 that heading due West is a straight shot towards Cody Wyoming.

59 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

My fanwank is that I90 is fucked between Boston and Chicago due to major bombings or a nuclear strike. (I think they could mention this in the show and that'd be cool)

The Geography geek that is me would love some explanation.  I-80 traverses Southern Wyoming… and I-90 traverses Northern Wyoming… I-70 is a really weird pick… great if you’re going to Denver…

Episode 4 was rather meh after episode 3.

I found episode 3 amazing. First I truly didn't expect this story. I knew it would be an emotional episode but I thought it would only be Tess's death, so (watching both episodes the same night) I was unprepared for a full hour of post-apocalyptic romance. Second, that's one of the best gay romances I've seen in a while, rather than the tokenist mush I've become used to. Offerman absolutely kills it, and the fact that it's him of all people* makes it even better. Will probably watch it again soon with the missus (who doesn't like zombie stuff, but who'll love this, I'm sure).

*I gather he was a darling of US conservatives after his anti-government role in Parks&Rec.

The show is pretty much a generic zombie show, highly predictable, but it's well-made, well-paced, and well-acted. I like both Pascal and Ramsey in their roles, and that's enough to make it entertaining. There's even several small details I truly enjoy. For instance, when Ellie wakes up with Joel and Tess watching her my first though was "she'd have to pee in that situation," and she did! Loved the show for that kind of realism. Still:

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Honestly if every episode was a different story like the 3rd episode I would probably prefer it. It just seemed a lot more interesting than everything else on the show so far.

Definitely. I've read The Walking Dead, so I doubt post-apocalyptic Mandalorian has much original to offer - though Ramsey is far more entertaining than Grogu. But self-contained post-apocalyptic stories? Any day.
I also liked the short bit in Indonesia. Always nice to have a show in which everybody everywhere doesn't miraculously speak English. Would have liked a bit more of that as well.

Yeah, so far the parts that have deviated most from the game and deviated most from the standard zombie horde stuff are the most interesting. The prologue explainers of the fungus were just riveting and Frank and Bill were wonderful. It's weird how an anthology show might be actually better than the serialized show, though I think that makes some sense; part of the issue that this will have in adaptation is that you had real stakes in the game. Getting through clickers and the raiders and the traps made you feel the payoff of the cutscenes and feel the pain of losing people, but here we get none of that automatically. 

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

A book I quite enjoy is World War Z. An HBO adaptation would have quite a bit of potential. Sadly, I feel that the genre is so overdone at this point that the opportunity was squandered with the movie that came out.

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I like her.  She reminds me of my daughter.  What the hell was the surging ground under that building and why would Kathleen ignore it if it is the fungus?

Because she's putting revenge over survival, which is why her underling didn't love that decision. I think this is the part that fits best with the idea she found herself inheriting leadership from her brother as is seen by the others as a moral figure (because she was before this happened) but has actually gone off the deep end, her followers just haven't figured that out yet.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Pascal has stoic… down.

Its the ragged edge of the stoicism that betrays what lies underneath that is the best part. Plain stoic is boring.

As to the journey, not a game spoiler now that it's happened but it's one of those more eastern cities starting with P in the state starting with P that this ambush happens in the game. I guess one reason not to go through Chicago could be that either it's a strong FEDRA place so likely to get caught, or it's a destroyed wasteland overrun with infected.

Though really, anywhere known to have a FEDRA QZ ought to have been avoided, and people should mostly know where all of the QZ's that have survived a decent length of time are located. On the other hand, a smuggler like Joel will also know the smuggling routes so even in cities with QZs will know the low risk ways of getting through.

Archived