Was Ashara the Most Beautiful Lady in her Time?

Corvo the Crow

As the title says.

She has many admirers, even Barristan who wasn't that much into women as evidenced by abdicating his lordship to become a KG loving her. Ned too, coming directly from the mouth of the Nedling. Of all the women there, Cersei, who was supposedly a rising sun(though it's bad info since it's the thoughts of Kevan, a known sucker for all things Tywin) compared to Lyanna, a torch(could it be why Rhaegar chose her, a torch in the impending darkness, burning against the cold?) included, it was her that Howland had noticed and even the Gayjon  wanted to dance with her (could've been due to eyes as purply as his silver prince though). Catelyn, a very beautiful woman herself, remembers her as tall and fair and with haunting eyes and feels insecure, despite hearing the rumors about Jon's parentage only after Ashara's death, and I couldn't blame her, on his wedding night Robert, a known womanizer, had a living, breathing girl and all he could think about was a dead one who didn't even love him.

9 minutes ago, The Commentator said:

Most beautiful of that time period was Rhaella Targaryen.  Ashara was younger but I think Rhaella with her Targaryen looks would win the contest.  

Targaryens ara nothing special, you can see thousands that look like Daenerys in pillowhouses throughout Lys.

11 minutes ago, The Commentator said:

Daenerys is the most beautiful girl in the world. The Targaryens are special. The Valyrians are beautiful. 

Nope. They have nothing special besides being a noble house and one that was the last remaining house of dragonlords.

2 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Aren’t Valyrians in general supposed to be impossibly beautiful?

Yes, Valyrians are beautiful, but not impossibly so also their looks may not be common in Planetos at large but in Lys it is quite common and also not so uncommon in Volantis, at least behind the Black Wall of Volantis. Ashara on the other hand is quite rare in that she has both purple eyes and has dark hair. 

I can't, or rather would not talk about the "fans" but the rage about Daenerys being the most beautiful woman on Planetos has a very easy in word explanation that also applies for our own world: There are plenty of celebrities who are called very beautiful or handsome but in all honesty, even with all the makeup and plastic surgery etc. you can find random people at any public place that are far more beautiful/handsome than them. They are only called, or even worse, thought to be as such because of their fame. Same applies for Dany, she also has fame and power, so called the most beautiful while in reality you can find her look alikes, or those who are far more beautiful than her by taking a five minute walk down a street in Lys. Not to mention those you'll find will probably not be inbred too. 

19 minutes ago, The Commentator said:

Daenerys is the most beautiful girl in the world. The Targaryens are special. The Valyrians are beautiful. 

They are uniquely beautiful, but at the same time not all Valyrians were inhumanly beautiful. Daenerys is obviously very beautiful because of her Valyrian traits, and because GRRM calls her hot. :blink: But I'm hesitant to say which woman is the most beautiful in their time. Or ever, because I believe it is impossible for one person to be collectively singled out as the most beautiful human in the entire world. Beauty is subjective even in GRRM's world, and often times your physical attraction to someone changes as you get to know them. Daenerys is called beautiful by many, but just about all the people who boast to her of her beauty are actually seeking her for her power and her dragons. It's a lot of flattery, especially in Meereen and all of Slaver's Bay. On top of that, beauty standards vary in different cultures. The same thing goes for Ashara. We don't know anything about her personality, but one description about her has always given me the impression that she is delightful or just very happy.

"The crannogman (Howland Reed) saw a maid with laughing purple eyes.." -Meera to Bran

Many women/young ladies are described as beautiful, but you'll find that many characters in asoiaf have their own opinion of who the greatest beauty in their world is.

1 hour ago, The Commentator said:

Most beautiful of that time period was Rhaella Targaryen. Ashara was younger but I think Rhaella with her Targaryen looks would win the contest.  

In any case, it is curious that Ashara was admired for her purple eyes when Westeros has had several generations of Targaryen rulers, who also had purple eyes.

34 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

They are uniquely beautiful, but at the same time not all Valyrians were inhumanly beautiful. Daenerys is obviously very beautiful because of her Valyrian traits, and because GRRM calls her hot. /cdn-cgi/mirage/e7cdc3d1b42064bbcb7493ddaf3c1b2d3511a1895af109f2c96f899ee8a13be4/1440/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_blink.png But I'm hesitant to say which woman is the most beautiful in their time. Or ever, because I believe it is impossible for one person to be collectively singled out as the most beautiful human in the entire world. Beauty is subjective even in GRRM's world, and often times your physical attraction to someone changes as you get to know them. Daenerys is called beautiful by many, but just about all the people who boast to her of her beauty are actually seeking her for her power and her dragons. It's a lot of flattery, especially in Meereen and all of Slaver's Bay. On top of that, beauty standards vary in different cultures. The same thing goes for Ashara. We don't know anything about her personality, but one description about her has always given me the impression that she is delightful or just very happy.

Many women/young ladies are described as beautiful, but you'll find that many characters in asoiaf have their own opinion of who the greatest beauty in their world is.

Beauty is subjective…but literally every character who is attracted to men and saw Rhaegar holds him as the standard against whom everyone else seems lesser. I think Danny is supposed to be ~ the female equivalent.

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

I can't take Targaryen 'looks' seriously because they just sound like anime characters. And even if they did look nice their attitude is a complete turn off. Now, the Baratheons on the other hand...

You saying that the Targaryens’ attitudes is a turn off and then turn around and stan the Baratheons is ironic. 

There is absolutely NOTHING appealing about any Baratheon we’ve met, especially not their attitudes. 

19 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

You saying that the Targaryens’ attitudes is a turn off and then turn around and stan the Baratheons is ironic. 

There is absolutely NOTHING appealing about any Baratheon we’ve met, especially not their attitudes. 

I don't 'stan' anyone. I find the Targaryens' attitude of racial superiority a bigger turn off than whatever the Baratheons have done. True, Robert isn't a great guy, but as far as Renly goes all he's done that's unappealing is be a bit full of himself and made an unkind joke about his niece once.

And the post was mostly about looks anyway. And it was supposed to be humorous.

Archived