Where does all this Stark hate come from?

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

I mean it’s just completely asinine and pathetic. It’s the same shitty and nonsensical argument almost every time.

Its ok to find them boring and not enjoy their chapters, it’s personal preference and that’s ok. But to complete misrepresent the story, and historical facts in order to make them seem like monsters is utterly ridiculous and it honestly makes normal readers not take any of your opinions seriously.

I love the Starks, but even I have to admit that while they’re not monsters, they’re certainly savages. They have a lot more in common with the Free Folk than they’d ever admit, but that’s also how they survive in such a cold and cruel land. They are the standard bearers for the old gods, the ones who will fight to preserve the legacy of the Pact, the ones who remember what is coming for humankind when the Others awaken. That’s the real meaning of their house words. They are guardians against the Others, just like the Night’s Watch. But that also means that they have survived through very savage means. Make of that what you will, but I find it interesting at least. And the Starks do earn their houses’ intense loyalty in a way that House Lannister, Tully, or Baratheon will never earn.

3 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I love the Starks, but even I have to admit that while they’re not monsters, they’re certainly savages. They have a lot more in common with the Free Folk than they’d ever admit, but that’s also how they survive in such a cold and cruel land. They are the standard bearers for the old gods, the ones who will fight to preserve the legacy of the Pact, the ones who remember what is coming for humankind when the Others awaken. That’s the real meaning of their house words. They are guardians against the Others, just like the Night’s Watch. But that also means that they have survived through very savage means. Make of that what you will, but I find it interesting at least. And the Starks do earn their houses’ intense loyalty in a way that House Lannister, Tully, or Baratheon will never earn.

People who call the Starks savages are a lot like people from NYC who look down on anyone not living a city. I’d argue the Targaryens, Martells, and Lannisters are far more savage than the Starks.

1 minute ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

People who call the Starks savages are a lot like people from NYC who look down on anyone not living a city. I’d argue the Targaryens, Martells, and Lannisters are far more savage than the Starks.

Again, I am a Stark fan. I’m not saying it out of disgust. But they practiced human sacrifice just like the Targaryens did. It’s canon. They decorated trees with the entrails of their enemies. They made rows of heads along their shores to warn Andals away. And we’ve seen the North turning back to its savage roots. Manderly has cannibalised his enemies and fed them to their allies, dubious or otherwise. Rickon is ok Skagos and I don’t doubt that he’ll be a mini wildling by the time he reappears. Bran is becoming one with the same heart trees that were fed the blood of humans over centuries of sacrifices. Jon and Rob and Arya all have/had a close bond with their direwolves. I don’t see it as a bad thing, necessarily. They live in a vicious world, and House Stark has suffered serious setbacks for drifting too far from their original purpose.

4 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Again, I am a Stark fan. I’m not saying it out of disgust. But they practiced human sacrifice just like the Targaryens did. It’s canon. They decorated trees with the entrails of their enemies. They made rows of heads along their shores to warn Andals away. And we’ve seen the North turning back to its savage roots. Manderly has cannibalised his enemies and fed them to their allies, dubious or otherwise. Rickon is ok Skagos and I don’t doubt that he’ll be a mini wildling by the time he reappears. Bran is becoming one with the same heart trees that were fed the blood of humans over centuries of sacrifices. Jon and Rob and Arya all have/had a close bond with their direwolves. I don’t see it as a bad thing, necessarily. They live in a vicious world, and House Stark has suffered serious setbacks for drifting too far from their original purpose.

The human sacrifices ended centuries of not millennia ago. Meanwhile the Targs likely practiced blood magic, slavery, and human experimentation up until the Doom, and only stopped BECAUSE of the Doom.

4 minutes ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

The human sacrifices ended centuries of not millennia ago. Meanwhile the Targs likely practiced blood magic, slavery, and human experimentation up until the Doom, and only stopped BECAUSE of the Doom.

Yeah, they’re much worse. I’m not fighting you.

1 hour ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

You can just call it NY. Otherwise it's just upstate... Savage lot (jk)

47 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Yeah, they’re much worse. I’m not fighting you.

I don't see the reason to compare and judge. I mean, main characters and main characters and all that I guess, but they're all good folk with questionable ancestors making questionable decisions 

2 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

They made rows of heads along their shores to warn Andals away.

Ummm.... WHAT?! It happened 4000-6000 whatever years ago during a time that Andals were such backward savages that they were carving symbols on not the woods but their own bodies, those fucking savages. Andals were only civilized thanks to mingling with First Men.

2 hours ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

Yeah it didn't get much better after the doom either. They were raping the commonfolk of Dragonstone to such an extent that their spawns eventually got their own name, dragonseeds.  

16 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

too much time passes and people decide they hate the protagonists because they are bored 

Or… it could be that Starks are against marrying their own sisters/brothers. I think they actually want Jon to marry Dany but know he won’t marry her because a) she’s his aunt and b) she’s stark raving mad. So they hate Jon. Add the JonSa foreshadowings and possibility of that marriage happening since they are cousins and arises Sansa hate also. These two and a few other things combined result in a hate of Starks in general.

5 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I agree with that.  Anyone who thinks they can rule successfully in this world by being nice to their enemies should just give up before they start.

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Or… it could be that Starks are against marrying their own sisters/brothers. I think they actually want Jon to marry Dany but know he won’t marry her because a) she’s his aunt and b) she’s stark raving mad. So they hate Jon. Add the JonSa foreshadowings and possibility of that marriage happening since they are cousins and arises Sansa hate also. These two and a few other things combined result in a hate of Starks in general.

I've gotta say, for someone so fiercely against incest, you are awfully pro step-siblings marriage.

honestly, Sansa should end up with someone like Ned Dayne, you know?  someone sane (unlike Joffrey), age-appropriate (unlike Tyrion), non-pervert (unlike LF), nontoxic (unlike Hound), nonrelated (unlike Jon), and with a similar worldview (unlike Harry). 

4 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I've gotta say, for someone so fiercely against incest, you are awfully pro step-siblings marriage.

honestly, Sansa should end up with someone like Ned Dayne, you know?  someone sane (unlike Joffrey), age-appropriate (unlike Tyrion), non-pervert (unlike LF), nontoxic (unlike Hound), nonrelated (unlike Jon), and with a similar worldview (unlike Harry). 

What is it with shipping Sansa with the most inappropriate people?  She would be disgusted at the thought of having sex with Jon.

7 hours ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

I mean it’s just completely asinine and pathetic. It’s the same shitty and nonsensical argument almost every time.

It's so stupid. I really feel like it is one person with multiple accounts. Because they all use the same phrasing, font and spacing, and have the same flow of words and near identical opinions. None of the accounts are active at the same time, and most of them only have a couple of hundred posts. One of them will post in all the relevant threads in a row, then roughly the same time next day another will post in all the relevant threads in a row. And they all follow the same pattern, where they ignore any previous discussion, post something like 'Jon Snow betrayed Westeros etc.' and then leave. Usually any attempt to counter the point is then ignored, especially if you use quotations or logic because these posts almost never do. But it doesn't matter because then another one comes, ignoring everything that's been discussed prior, and posts the same thing again. A good example of this is the 'How Successful will the Dothraki and Unsullied be in Westeros' thread.

Of course, this is not the same as people who have legitimate grievances against the Starks. And you can not like them but also not be blindly biased. But I find it's easy to tell between someone who doesn't like the Starks but isn't blindly bashing them, and the person(s) who do.

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

Oh no. I am a JonVal shipper but can't deny all the foreshadowings. 

37 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

To be fair we don't know that much about him.

Yeah, he was having bad days when he got two girls pregnant as well I think. Poor guy. I wonder if he would wage war like Robert when Sansa is married to someone else, cause he sure looks like Robert in the making.

Archived