Where does all this Stark hate come from?

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

20 hours ago, EggBlue said:

too much time passes and people decide they hate the protagonists because they are bored

Too much time passes and the fans drift away; till the only ones left are, disproportionately, fans the characters who currently seem to be winning.  These fans dump on the Starks as a form of defense of their favorites, as they hate being reminded that their favorite characters are rather shitty people and/or have done some rather shitty things.

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Zoomers are gonna save us all from regressivism & lack of empathy. 

The drawback with recent censorious attitudes is that reprehensible characters are more interesting if they are humanised.

Horrible though he is, Tyrion is still interesting.

22 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

To be fair we don't know that much about him.

Hide contents

I know he was rude to 'Alayne' because she was a bastard, but he could have just been having a bad day. He apologised afterwards.

Moreover he seemed most upset with being forced into it rather than her status. And he was pretty honest with her, and (especially for an Arryn!!!) he did not seem to be remotely ashamed of loving someone widely considered beneath him socially. I agree we don’t know nearly enough about him, and it’s even hard to tell if, for example, Sansa emphasizes his looks so much because she’s attracted/finally getting her dream prince, or because she’s trying to focus on the positives because there are things about him she dislikes. It’s an interesting chapter re: Vale dynamics and LF’s strategy, but I found it less expositive character wise, so far, than most of the others. Except for how much Sansa seems to be buying into LF’s scheme, we don’t see the same fear-based need to notice the lack of alternatives when it comes to playing the role he wants. She seems much more sure of herself and her situation, and that’s a development.

11 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yup. That’s why in my head canon she’s 18 - 20, makes it easier to read. Same for Sansa, Arya and the others. Take Arya, too. It’s not credible that a sheltered & privileged 9 yr old would be able to do all she’s done, even in a fantasy story. Now, a 14 - 16 yr old and it changes everything. I think Martin has commented on this more than once, that he wishes he’d made them older. 

Nah, Bran is almost a man grown at what? 9 years? 

12 hours ago, SeanF said:

The drawback with recent censorious attitudes is that reprehensible characters are more interesting if they are humanised.

Horrible though he is, Tyrion is still interesting.

Indeed, I don't know if I would call Tyrion horrible, thought he is certainly headed down that path if he isn't there already but yes the George has a knack for humanising charachters (I think probably all good authors do) & characters like Jaime, Ramsay, Bronn, Tyrion, Tywin etc who are not great "people" are so interesting still. 

11 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Indeed, I don't know if I would call Tyrion horrible, thought he is certainly headed down that path if he isn't there already but yes the George has a knack for humanising charachters (I think probably all good authors do) & characters like Jaime, Ramsay, Bronn, Tyrion, Tywin etc who are not great "people" are so interesting still. 

:D Yo!

I agree, I love getting into the mind of these antagonists. I think GRRM is especially good at it, particularly with the Lannisters that aren't Tyrion. Cersei and Jaime are still Cersei and Jaime but they've become way more likable when the perspective turned to them.

Tyrion definitely acts a little sus sometimes but overall I think he has some good guy points in him still. Maybe. What it really comes down to for me I think is I just find that guy hysterical. I think it does a world for his likability. He's pretty much exactly like Tywin who I can't stand (I mean, I think he's interesting as hell. I think every character is, well maybe not Darkstar, lol). Stannis is another character who's pretty much a Tywin clone but somehow even more pig headed, yet that's my favorite king by a mile. And I'm willing to be it's because every time I read him there's a huge smile on my face, in contrast to Tywin whos incapable of a joke 

22 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

He is a rapist. It’s very hard to redeem yourself after that. Though I felt it was needless IMO

On 1/19/2023 at 4:46 PM, SeanF said:

I think that medieval people did not view childhood as we do.  At the age of 12, boys could be fighting as squires, serving on juries, or being hanged as felons.  Pretty well everyone was working, from the age of about seven, even if some were being educated as well.

Both boys and girls could be married at that age, but consummation was rare before the age of 15 (there are examples to the contrary, like Margaret Beaufort, but they were atypical).  I think that’s what Martin got wrong.

On the other hand the 20-something Ramsay rapes his wife "Arya", who, if we're going by the real Arya's age, is 11. We know Jeyne is 13 but since she's pretending to be Arya...

14 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

I think he made a mistake with that book by revealing too much in one volume. Now he has less material for another.

There’s a bit that’s relevant to GOT where he compares himself to Daenerys, being robbed of what was his.

14 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Depiction is not endorsement.  I think GRRM has some strange ideas about romance, but I’ve never got the impression that he in any way endorses rape, slavery, brutalisation of the smallfolk, or the treatment of women, in this world.

10 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

What was supposed to be his? The Kingdom? There are people in front of him for that.

“Her story resembles mine in many ways.  She is so inspiring to me.  Just like Daenerys, I will take back what was taken from me.”

14 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

:D Yo!

I agree, I love getting into the mind of these antagonists. I think GRRM is especially good at it, particularly with the Lannisters that aren't Tyrion. Cersei and Jaime are still Cersei and Jaime but they've become way more likable when the perspective turned to them.

Jaime I'll grant you, but Cersei? If anything (rather like a certain modern royal) the more insight I got into what was going on in her head, the less sympathy I had for her. The first books suggested she was a shrewd, calculating political animal who was doing her best to survive in a difficult environment. Once we got her POV, we discovered she was in fact an arrogant, paranoid, and really quite stupid nutter who blunders from one self-created crisis to the next, surviving largely through luck until that eventually runs out.

52 minutes ago, SeanF said:

“Her story resembles mine in many ways.  She is so inspiring to me.  Just like Daenerys, I will take back what was taken from me.”

That is really weird... I'm also confused what was taken from him. As far as I can tell he left voluntarily, no one forced him out.

Edit: Did he miss the bit where Daenerys massacred civilians and then made a borderline fascist speech?

58 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

That is really weird... I'm also confused what was taken from him. As far as I can tell he left voluntarily, no one forced him out.

Edit: Did he miss the bit where Daenerys massacred civilians and then made a borderline fascist speech?

It’s just as well he doesn’t have access to US firing codes.

Archived