What Will Dany do When she Learns Jon has the Better Claim?

Corvo the Crow

What would happen when Daenerys eventually learns that Jon is his precious brother Rhaegar the Rapist's son? 

I think it would be something along these lines

- It's over Danykin, I have the high claim

+You underestimate my powa(dragonz)

- Don't try it

+ Draca... *Valyrian steel slashing sounds*

- You were the chosen one, it was said you will destroy the White Walkers not join them. Save humanity not leave it in darkness

+ I hate yaah

- You were my aunt Danykin, I loved you.

Of course it is preceeded by five minutes of Jon, greatest swordsman to have ever walked the snowy north cutting through Dany's minions while being on constant retreat throughout the mazes of Maegor's keep because he don't wanna be no kinslayer.

4 minutes ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

She’ll be upset. That after all she went through, she could lose it to a Stark child she never even heard of until recently. But then I think she’ll be advised by her consul to marry Jon, and Jon will probably want to in order to gain her dragons for the war with the Others.

I guess the question would be, who's the ruling monarch?

The question assumes so much.

Let's start by assuming that R+L=J is true.  Then we must assume that Jon is not a bastard or has been somehow legitimized.

Even so, both Jon and Dany face the problem that Aegon is ahead of them in the line of succession.  So you have to assume not only that YG is fake, but that YG does not have a real Aegon counterpart.

Then, Jon has disqualified himself by taking an oath to the Night Watch.  He has removed himself from the line of succession.  I don't recall the theories used to maneuver around that, but I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

1 minute ago, James West said:

Jon  is a bastard.  What claim he might have is very far down the line of succession.  He's also a known traitor to the Watch. He's an incompetent leader.   Only a few would want him on the throne.  And most of those will have the same last name, Stark.  

Rondo, is that you? Moiraine Sedai? Bowen Marsh?

10 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

What would happen when Daenerys eventually learns that Jon is his precious brother Rhaegar the Rapist's son? 

I think it would be something along these lines

- It's over Danykin, I have the high claim

+You underestimate my powa(dragonz)

- Don't try it

+ Draca... *Valyrian steel slashing sounds*

- You were the chosen one, it was said you will destroy the White Walkers not join them. Save humanity not leave it in darkness

+ I hate yaah

- You were my aunt Danykin, I loved you.

Of course it is preceeded by five minutes of Jon, greatest swordsman to have ever walked the snowy north cutting through Dany's minions while being on constant retreat throughout the mazes of Maegor's keep because he don't wanna be no kinslayer.

"come on! I just got rid of a nephew ... at least he looked the part! what does this Northerner wildling have to recommend him?"

not that a better claim actually matters when someone has dragons, but who's to say Jon has a better claim?

assuming RLJ, assuming Rhaegar and Lyanna were married, assuming Jon can prove those two facts, his claim can still be disputed. first, you've got to convince everyone that the prince's second marriage is indeed valid which could be a headache. one party was married, and the other was committed to a betrothal contract. then, you've got to check if the former heir's children come before the former king's children, something that had been disputed over before. and finally, you've got to prove that Jon's Night's Watch vows are over and done with and that is by assuming Jon will actually die in the next book! 

Jon - I am the legitimate son of Rhaegar and I therefore outrank you.

Dany - And you have proof of this claim?

Jon - Umm . . . not really.  But I really am his son.

Dany - If you can't prove it, then go away and leave me alone.  And take your so-called claim with you.

5 hours ago, EggBlue said:

not that a better claim actually matters when someone has dragons, but who's to say Jon has a better claim?

assuming RLJ, assuming Rhaegar and Lyanna were married, assuming Jon can prove those two facts, his claim can still be disputed. first, you've got to convince everyone that the prince's second marriage is indeed valid which could be a headache. one party was married, and the other was committed to a betrothal contract. then, you've got to check if the former heir's children come before the former king's children, something that had been disputed over before. and finally, you've got to prove that Jon's Night's Watch vows are over and done with and that is by assuming Jon will actually die in the next book! 

Given how lots of lords and HPs lean I think we can say that they'd regard a claim of a son of an "alleged second wife" over a woman's claim. I don't think they'll need lots of convincing there. Dany could have been named by Aerys to be his heir, and they'd still go for a male with a claim, no matter how far the line or whether it was a 2nd, 3rd, 4th wife or even a bastard.

10 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Given how lots of lords and HPs lean I think we can say that they'd regard a claim of a son of an "alleged second wife" over a woman's claim. I don't think they'll need lots of convincing there. Dany could have been named by Aerys to be his heir, and they'd still go for a male with a claim, no matter how far the line or whether it was a 2nd, 3rd, 4th wife or even a bastard.

That’s the point.  Being a woman is considered almost an absolute bar to being a monarch.  Jon’s mother could have been a chamber maid and he’d still have backers.

6 hours ago, EggBlue said:

"come on! I just got rid of a nephew ... at least he looked the part! what does this Northerner wildling have to recommend him?"

Jon doesn't exactly need to prove the fact that he's Rhaegar's get, everyone knows him to be Ned's son, he can proclaim "I was actually Lyanna's", and people wouldn't awe at the fact since it is common opinion that Rhaegar raped Lyanna hundreds of times, no one thinks that he kidnapped her so he could use her as a test subject to improve his bad poetry. Even in Ned's own family the opinion is this. In fact it really should've been the other way around, people really should've wondered how come after over a year of rape she wasn't pregnant, how did such a young girl die with no apparent reason etc. At the very least Ned should've procured a dead infant and claimed it was Lyanna's and she died giving birth to a stillborn to not raise suspicion but no, somehow people of Westeros are so dumb this is never an issue.

"Robert was betrothed to marry her, but Prince Rhaegar carried her off and raped her," Bran explained. "Robert fought a war to win her back. He killed Rhaegar on the Trident with his hammer, but Lyanna died and he never got her back at all."

"Unspeakable?" the king roared. "What Aerys did to your brother Brandon was unspeakable. The way your lord father died, that was unspeakable. And Rhaegar … how many times do you think he raped your sister? How many hundreds of times?" His voice had grown so loud that his horse whinnied nervously beneath him. The king jerked the reins hard, quieting the animal, and pointed an angry finger at Ned. "I will kill every Targaryen I can get my hands on, until they are as dead as their dragons, and then I will piss on their graves."

On a second marriage, it too is easy although not so easy. Dany herself sees committing every kind of atrocity is within her rights because she is "da blud of da dragun", so much so in fact Lyanna getting kidnapped and raped doesn't even bother her, it is Rhaegar being married while doing this that gives her discomfort but only slightly. Taking multiple brides is something done by some of those "blud of da dragun" 

"But that was the tourney when he crowned Lyanna Stark as queen of love and beauty!" said Dany. "Princess Elia was there, his wife, and yet my brother gave the crown to the Stark girl, and later stole her away from her betrothed. How could he do that? Did the Dornish woman treat him so ill?"

Jon just needs to pompously walk around claiming that Rhaegar took his mother as a second wife, just like his predecessor Aegon the Impotent and Maegor did, this was his due because he was da blud of old malaria.

Lesser ‘claims’ coupled with far greater ability to press said claim beats ‘better claim’ every day of the week. So long as she has the only dragons, and the greater army (provided sufficient shipping and no kamikaze) she has the more effective claim, which is really all that matters.

Snowflake doesn't have a better claim.  If he even has a claim.  Too many conditions have to be met for something as ridiculous at that to happen.  First, Jon must have been the son of a Targaryen, Rhaegar.  Which is not proven and a rather weak theory.  Secondly, if the first condition is met, Jon would have to be legitimate.  Very, very unlikely because Rhaegar was already married.  Thirdly, Jon does not look like a Targaryen.  He will never be able to prove his claim.  Jon is an oath-breaker who allowed the Wildlngs into the kingdom.  And sworn to the Night's Watch. 

Archived