Victims of Stark Justice: Gared, Janos, and Dareon

James West

1.   Ned Stark beheads a deserter from the Night's Watch who was suffering from PTSD.  The man had an important message.  Unfortunately, the Starks did not take the man seriously and promptly kills him.  How different might the story be if the man's warning was taken seriously.  Westeros would have been better prepared for what is coming.  

2.  Ned's bastard, the lord commander at the Night's Watch, Jon Snow, beheads Janos Slynt.  Janos was a rude man who was initially resistant to go on a suicide mission given to him by Lord Commander Jon Snow.  The execution was a set up.  Jon Snow orchestrated the situation knowing that Janos would most likely resist and thus give him an opportunity to kill the man who was an enemy of his father, Ned Stark.  Read the scene carefully and it is clear that Janos finally agreed to go.  Jon had made his point and already gave a demonstration of breaking the man in public.  Still, Jon convinced himself, made up excuses, to justify what he wanted to do: murder Janos Slynt.  The killing divided the Night's Watch.  Jon put the fear in those who could have given him constructive criticism.  

3.  Arya Stark murders Dareon.  Without hearing Dareon's story, without giving the boy a chance to speak for himself, Arya murders him.  Will knowing the boy's sad story change Arya's mind?  Probably not.  Arya Stark has no idea what true justice is.  She is acting on emotion, hate and silent anger.  

It is no wonder that many here are saying the Starks deserved to fall.  

Yes, yes, yes. We get it. I promise you, we do get it. You hate the Starks, they’re the sole reason for all the ills of this world. They’re just awful, truly the worst. 
And I wish I had a slow clap gif to close my post. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yes, yes, yes. We get it. I promise you, we do get it. You hate the Starks, they’re the sole reason for all the ills of this world. They’re just awful, truly the worst. 

I'm still a little confused on what their views are. But I'm sure that Aline de Gavrillac, Finley McLeod and perhaps Bowen 747 will be along to help me soon enough. Or maybe Darth Sideous, haven't heard from them for a few days.

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

I'm still a little confused on what their views are. But I'm sure that Aline de Gavrillac, Finely McCleod and perhaps Bowen 747 will be along to help me soon enough. Or maybe Darth Sideous, haven't heard from them for a few days.

Yes, they’ll ‘learn’ us, I’m sure. And don’t forget The Commentator, James Fenimore Cooper XXXXXX, Qoth the Raven, Targaryen Restoration, Damsel in Distress (!?!) and others. :rolleyes:

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Yes, they’ll ‘learn’ us, I’m sure. And don’t forget The Commentator, James Fenimore Cooper XXXXXX, Qoth the Raven, Targaryen Restoration, Damsel in Distress (!?!) and others.

I personally would like it if Tai Pan handled all these posts. Haven't seen them in a while. They have a superior profile picture of Pierce Brosnan. But then maybe it's for the best. As I doubt he'd want to be associated with this nonsense.

I don't see a reason for Eddard to take Gared story seriously. The man was blabbing incoherences, among them that 'the Others' were coming.

About Slynt, he was a political antagonist to the Lord Commander and yea, Jon lured him right into a trap and he got a leverage to execute him. Jon is allowed to play politics too.

Arya is 11 years old'ish, for Rahloo's sake.

Just now, Jon Fossoway said:

I don't see a reason for Eddard to take Gared story seriously. The man was blabbing incoherences, among them that 'the Others' were coming.

About Slynt, he was a political antagonist to the Lord Commander and yea, Jon lured him right into a trap and he got a leverage to execute him. Jon is allowed to play politics too.

Arya is 11 years old'ish, for Rahloo's sake.

Not to mention the Lannisters were willing to play politics with the Watch.

18 minutes ago, James West said:

2.  Ned's bastard, the lord commander at the Night's Watch, Jon Snow, beheads Janos Slynt.  Janos was a rude man who was initially resistant to go on a suicide mission given to him by Lord Commander Jon Snow.  The execution was a set up.  Jon Snow orchestrated the situation knowing that Janos would most likely resist and thus give him an opportunity to kill the man who was an enemy of his father, Ned Stark.  Read the scene carefully and it is clear that Janos finally agreed to go.  Jon had made his point and already gave a demonstration of breaking the man in public.  Still, Jon convinced himself, made up excuses, to justify what he wanted to do: murder Janos Slynt.  The killing divided the Night's Watch.  Jon put the fear in those who could have given him constructive criticism.  

Would you prefer Slynt or Marsh as the LC? They'll give you more enemies that can't be reasoned with.

Just now, Craving Peaches said:

I've only heard one person say this.

Well, you know my thoughts on it being just one poster. But it just dawned on me that it can be both one and many. A Schrödinger’s Stark Hater, as it were - is it just one or is it legion? Or a reverse split personality disorder where instead of having one person splitting into several different personalities, we have several people unsplitting into just the one personality whose main character trait is a complete inability to comprehend the text. 

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Well, you know my thoughts on it being just one poster. But it just dawned on me that it can be both one and many. A Schrödinger’s Stark Hater, as it were - is it just one or is it legion? Or a reverse split personality disorder where instead of having one person splitting into several different personalities, we have several people unsplitting into just the one personality whose main character trait is a complete inability to comprehend the text. 

Regardless of whether it's one or many, all the posts read in exactly the same way, so the voice is the same to me.

26 minutes ago, James West said:

1.   Ned Stark beheads a deserter from the Night's Watch who was suffering from PTSD.  The man had an important message.  Unfortunately, the Starks did not take the man seriously and promptly kills him.  How different might the story be if the man's warning was taken seriously.  Westeros would have been better prepared for what is coming.  

The man broke the law as a deserter. Wouldn't your precious King Aerys have done the same?... oh wait. He would have burned him alive and cackled.

Now, now, girls, lets be kind to him, after all, it was he who informed us that Bowen Marsh was a hero and a martyr!  Without his cutting insight how would we have evah figured that one for our simple selves?   hmmm?  Plus all his friends and neighbors showed how to really support such a brave boor with their stunning arguments and brilliant writing.  I'm still overwhelmed, fetch me my smelling salts and fainting couch!

/s

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

Are you sure it wasn't Only 89 selfies today who told us that? Or was it Khal Rhaego Targaryen? The Lord of the Crossing? I can't remember. Wait...

I looked it to be sure, don't want to waste my good snark on the wrong one.  However, I'm sure the mentioned brainiacs did show up in the thread.  

47 minutes ago, James West said:

3.  Arya Stark murders Dareon.  Without hearing Dareon's story, without giving the boy a chance to speak for himself, Arya murders him.  Will knowing the boy's sad story change Arya's mind?  Probably not.  Arya Stark has no idea what true justice is.  She is acting on emotion, hate and silent anger.  

It is no wonder that many here are saying the Starks deserved to fall.  

1. Ned did not ignore what Gared had to say.  Gared said absolutely nothing.  Read the scene; you're thinking of the show.

2. Jon wanted Slynt at Greyguard, where he might be useful.  Slynt refused, repeatedly, publicly, and insolently.  A military commander cannot tolerate that.  Historically, the penalty for that sort of thing was often death, especially in a conflict zone, which that is.

3. Dareon was quite talkative about his actions.  He cheerfully admitted deserting, and seemed intent only in having a good time.  And he didn't give a damn about his brothers,, Sam and Aemon.  I think Arya was wrong to kill him, but I can see why she did it.

Your case against the Starks is wildly unconvincing.  Try harder next time.  Better yet, pick a better target.  I'm sure the Lannisters or Targaryens have created many more victims than the Starks have, or even could if they tried.

Archived