Could the king of the Seven Kingdoms create a new house for his children, with the house being in another region (besides the Crownlands)?

Alex13

Say a Targaryen king has a couple of children and he decides to restore Summerhall, but instead of rebuilding it as a summer castle and royal residence, he has it rebuilt as a seat for one of his children. And that Harrenhal is vacant and a new house needs to be established there, so he decides to give it to one of his children. Thus the king would create House Targaryen of Summerhall and House Targaryen of Harrenhal.

Could the king do that on his own or would he need to smooth things over with lords Baratheon and Tully?

Also, how might the creation of those houses impact the politics in those regions? I mean, there are now royal princes in those regions, ruling a castle and lands. Might some lords try to bypass their lord paramount and go with their issues directly to the newly created Targaryen house, in an effort/belief that that would ensure that their issues gets to the king quickly?

31 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Has been done several times already, with Blackfyres getting land and castle in RL being the most prominent example.

From what i know, Daemon Blackfyre was granted lands near the Blackwater and he had the right to raise a castle. But the Blackwater is in the Crownlands, under the direct control of the crown.

I'm talking about creating new houses in Harrenhal and/or Summerhall, which are in the Riverlands and Stormlands, thus the house would be a subject of House Tully or House Baratheon. 

Interesting and it’s certainly something I would have done had I been Aegon the Conqueror from the start however you do raise a few issues by doing this.

Firstly, I think the Lord Paramounts (Baratheon, Tully, etc.) would be a bit pissed that you’re either insulting their rule by having your own kin as one of their vassals (but in reality, your own kin come above the likes of House Baratheon, Tully).

Secondly, you risk the lesser branches getting too big for their boots. Once the initial insult has settled, they can easily plot with their own regions against you.

In my opinion, there is the perfect balance of family land where the king rules from King’s Landing and his heir rules Dragonstone until they come to the throne.

33 minutes ago, Alex13 said:

From what i know, Daemon Blackfyre was granted lands near the Blackwater and he had the right to raise a castle. But the Blackwater is in the Crownlands, under the direct control of the crown.

I'm talking about creating new houses in Harrenhal and/or Summerhall, which are in the Riverlands and Stormlands, thus the house would be a subject of House Tully or House Baratheon. 

Blackwater starts from godseye  which is completely surrounded by RL. If I remember correctly his land was at the head waters, so near God’s Eye and in RL.

I think it is more often a marriage to an existing lord rather than a new lord being raised up. 

But, yeah, there would have to be a benefit to the Ruler of the region. I can't see how they would do it without the consent of the Lord Paramount or there would be bad feelings.

somewhere like Summerhall belongs to the Crown from the get go . meaning that Summerhall does not pay taxes to the lord paramount and is not considered a bannerman anyway . so if the King were to establish a new branch of house Targaryen there, the princely family would be directly under the Crown . meaning that neither the lord Paramount nor the royal family would be affected . it would be more difficult with vacant lands or properties earned by marriage (for example how Daemon's family with Rhea Royce would have been) . if the Crown did not want to interfere with RL's governance , then the new royal cadet branch would be bannermen to the Lord paramount which might not be an ideal situation and the King would have to negotiate with lord paramount or be ready to make him pissed by taking away a part of his income . in a war though , this kind of thing would be a LOT easier . so if AegonVI/DaenerysI come back to Westeros , they can easily grant lands and castles to the remaining family member to create a new line . they could name them wardens or lord/lady paramount and no one would bat an eye . 

the bottom line is , the King can do whatever he wants !

52 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

naah . they only end up like that if they burn high-profile people alive in public.

I think they would end up like that, if they took land from the region of a lord paramount and created a cadet branch of the royal family. 

As mentioned in the beginning, Summerhall was a summer castle. I don't get the feeling that Targaryen's lived there year round and long term, to develop the land and collect taxes. 

I don't think that the king can't take castles/land from a region and create a cadet branch in that region, without smoothing things over with the lord ruling the region. 

Could Aegon or Daenerys take that castle and it's lands or part of the regions, as punishment for the rebellion? Sure. But i still think as it would be viewed as overreaching on the monarchs part, as the Baratheon's had good cause to rebel. 

Archived