Watch, Watched, Watching: Looking for the Light

Ramsay B.

I watched Prisoners for the first time since it came out I think. I actually forgot how it ended so that was nice. Still very good.

Has anyone seen Villeneuve’s more obscure titles like Polytechnique or Maelstrom? Kinda interested in them.

For All Mankind continues to be great. That thread has spoilers so I’m not going there. Just saw episode 8 of season 1 and damn.

Spoiler

The son being hit by a car and is now brain dead! I did not expect this show to go near something like that. Threw me for a loop.
That tension filled scene when Karen was talking to Ed in space and had to act like nothing was wrong. Great tv and acting all around.

A.I. rewatched for the first time in a long time. Much more interesting than I remember. 

High Life A very somber, slow burn of a Sci Fi film with people on a space ship for some reason and they're all simultaneously very alienated and really, really horny. Juliette Binoche... does things. I'm sure there's a subtext there that I'm missing. 

Fall is a fun, claustrophobic thriller on Prime. It's basically what you wanted Cliffhanger to be for two hours. Two women climb a tower in an isolated place and everything goes wrong. Need I say more? 

Bodies Bodies Bodies, otoh, not so much fun. Not sure why it's called a black comedy. Overall it was a real disappointment. 

I started watching old 1930s movies.  A little dated, what can be described as overacting a little prevalent, but some really good movies in there.

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930).  I've never seen the remakes but this is a scathing anti-war movie.  With some moment of very dark humour.  Extra pathos given what was to come in a few more years.  Definitely holds up.

I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932).  More hard hitting social commentary but not to its detriment.  It still has a relevant message for today's audience.  And is shockingly based on a true story.  Paul Muni was a big star in the 1930s but he apparently got tired of the acting in movies lark.

City Lights (1931).  Something completely different.  I've never seen a Charlie Chaplin movie before and I feared the worst but this is very charming.  A silent movie can still work well.

It Happened One Night (1934).  Another excellent movie.  Frank Capra directed.  Clark Gable.  Claudette Colbert (who was another big star in the 1930s but then faded away).  A very influential movie I imagine.  Light romantic comedy done very well.

And Duck Soup (1933).  I was on a good run and I expected a lot from the Marx Brothers.  But oh boy.  When I watched it, I felt it was terrible but that is probably exaggerated given the comparisons I was making to the other movies.  Maybe the brand of humour would work on others but certainly not me.  Even Groucho Marx's oneliners were generally poor I felt.  Very disappointing.

I found Turn has a 4th season, which I have never seen!  It feels like Christmas.

I think it was about that year AMC began its own streaming platform and stopped licensing its content to Netflix -- which is where I had watched Turn.  Plus constant traveling, I probably paid no attention, not having any to spare for what wasn't right in front of me, so assumed season 3 was just the final one.  It ended with a full resolution pretty much, so it felt proper.

Got 1 months worth on Apple TV, so first thing I watched was Bad Sisters. Sharon Horgan from Catastrophe is basically great in everything and this was a really enjoyable show. As a murder mystery it’s hardly a page turner but all the cast are fantastic and it has a down to Earth sense of humour and language that I really liked.

Claes Bang , who i had only ever seen in The Square, was truly unlikable, but brilliantly unlikable as well. But the show does a very good job of not making anyone black or white, even he had moments where I sympathised with him.

Now I’m watching Black Bird, prison drama with Taron Egerton. It’s pretty good, nothing mind blowing. Mostly I’m sitting there thinking what happened to Egertons career, I thought he would be massive after Kingsman, but he just seems to have made a bunch of pretty shoddy, poorly chosen movies. Is it something to do with his receding hairline? Who knows. 

It’s the last role for Ray Liotta though, not sure how much he was planned to be in the show but he looks unwell throughout. Very sad. 

Watched Violent Night  the Christmas killer movie. Different than I expected and not entirely horrible. I've watched worse movies.

Also watched Cop Shop  an older movie, 2005 or so. Also, not horrible. 

I wouldn't recommend either movie but if you were bored there are worse things to watch.

14 hours ago, Padraig said:

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930).  I've never seen the remakes but this is a scathing anti-war movie.  With some moment of very dark humour.  Extra pathos given what was to come in a few more years.  Definitely holds up.

This scene definitely holds up, it puts some modern war movies to shame. It's so well done for it's time. The camera tracking, the pacing of the scene is very good, the way the camera jumps back and forth from viewpoints. There are little details like the explosion and the hands on the barbed wire. That this was filmed in 1930 makes it even more powerful.

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Got 1 months worth on Apple TV, so first thing I watched was Bad Sisters. Sharon Horgan from Catastrophe is basically great in everything and this was a really enjoyable show. As a murder mystery it’s hardly a page turner but all the cast are fantastic and it has a down to Earth sense of humour and language that I really liked.

Claes Bang , who i had only ever seen in The Square, was truly unlikable, but brilliantly unlikable as well. But the show does a very good job of not making anyone black or white, even he had moments where I sympathised with him.

It was excellent; but I can't quite put my finger on why. The story and plot felt that they left a lot to be desired, but... it was just so watchable...

My TV watching recently has been going back to the 90s; Coupling, This Life and Karaoke/Cold Lazarus

All still excellent, though Coupling went on for a season longer than it should have - and does This Life have the best soundtrack of any TV show? Surely it must.

52 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

It was excellent; but I can't quite put my finger on why. The story and plot felt that they left a lot to be desired, but... it was just so watchable...

The cast was excellent all round and I think that had a lot to do with it, everyone had a real charm and it was just enjoyable spending time with them. I also think it was written in a way that makes characters feel real, like you know them, flaws and all. It shares a lot with Catastrophe in that way. 

Also, Becka, Eve Hewson (aka Bono's daughter) was fucking great, as well as being completely beautiful. I remember seeing her Behind her Eyes which she was good in but that was a mediocre show, she really shone in this because she was such a quirky and interesting person to watch. 

Yeah the plot itself would have been pretty by the numbers and silly done by anyone else, but it was handled incredibly well by Horgan.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

This scene definitely holds up, it puts some modern war movies to shame. It's so well done for it's time. The camera tracking, the pacing of the scene is very good, the way the camera jumps back and forth from viewpoints. There are little details like the explosion and the hands on the barbed wire. That this was filmed in 1930 makes it even more powerful.

Yes.  It is amazing at what they managed almost 100 years ago.  That whole scene definitely stands out, especially the hands on the barbed wire part.  But I also really liked the scene where they talked about the cause of the war.  The movie simply managed to do a lot of things right.  Gave us a very early draconian drillmaster even!

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Angel. I don’t know how i feel about this 

Hide contents

Darla is somehow pregnant storyline. 

I don’t see how they are getting out of this without an insane amount of world building and continuity and plot issues. 

With awesomeness, naturally.

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

It lived up to the hype for me. Aside from the fact that I have to keep googling it to check how to spell the name, it's a great dialogue-driven film that really had me invested in the characters.

I enjoyed it much more than its rivals The Fabelmans and Elvis.

Still disappointed it wasn't about actual banshees though.

8/10

13 minutes ago, Darryk said:

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

It lived up to the hype for me. Aside from the fact that I have to keep googling it to check how to spell the name, it's a great dialogue-driven film that really had me invested in the characters.

I enjoyed it much more than its rivals The Fabelmans and Elvis.

Still disappointed it wasn't about actual banshees though.

8/10

Ryan Hollinger made an interesting observation that the old lady basically was one. 

Having now watched Top Gun: Maverick...I enjoyed it well enough, but do not understand the hype at all. Yes, it's a much of a recruitment film as the first one was, but the first one had at least the hint of an actual story behind the characters and the action. This one has significantly less of that. 

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Having now watched Top Gun: Maverick...I enjoyed it well enough, but do not understand the hype at all. Yes, it's a much of a recruitment film as the first one was, but the first one had at least the hint of an actual story behind the characters and the action. This one has significantly less of that. 

You’ve lost that … loving feeling …

Oh-ohhh that loving feeling…

Archived