Watch, Watched, Watching: Looking for the Light

Ramsay B.

I never watched the 2 Netflix seasons of Arrested Development.  The original seasons were perfect so when I read some of the reviews, I just figured it wasn't worth watching.  Now that they are leaving Netflix in a month, are they worth watching?

1 hour ago, grozeng said:

I never watched the 2 Netflix seasons of Arrested Development.  The original seasons were perfect so when I read some of the reviews, I just figured it wasn't worth watching.  Now that they are leaving Netflix in a month, are they worth watching?

Not really. 

On 2/13/2023 at 1:35 PM, Heartofice said:

Probably if your intention is to consume the movie in one go then the Theatrical cut of any of these movies is the way to do it. I will always prefer the extended editions, but it becomes impossible to watch it all in one stretch. I used to do it in one hour batches over multiple days and that seemed to work quite well.

I think Two Towers is the movie that is most improved by the Extended Editions actually, because the theatrical cut is really pretty patchy. The pacing is odd and it jumps around a lot. The Treebeard stuff in the TE just doesn't work and feels tacked on and rushed. 

Fellowship's EE is more like an indulgent nod to the fans, with extra bits thrown in for those people who want to just sit and savour all the new nuggets, I always felt like the EE of TT was more of a fix to a flawed movie. 

ROTK, I'm not sure the EE really added very much of value, it's my least favourite of the trilogy and I don't think the additions make it much better. I remember it was popular with fans because of all the Faramir stuff, but I never felt it made ROTK much better.

Agree with all your points. TT extended is the best one for me and really improves the film. For ROTK, I liked a couple of the Aragorn additions like Palantir and the Houses of Healing but otherwise, it drags a bit for me. 

On 2/12/2023 at 1:06 PM, Corvinus85 said:

3 episodes at a time, so not too bad, but yeah, the cliffhangers. The worst one was

I too have finished season 2 of the Legends of Vox Machina. 

Spoiler

Very enjoyable, even if the budding romantic pairings (for everyone except Grog!) feel a bit twee. 

Coming on here to beg for some Anime recommendations. 

Some anime I liked: Vox Machina, Invincible, Blood of Zeus, Castlevania (watched first 2 seasons), Dragon Prince (most recent season was meh).  Watching Dragon Age Absolution based on Netflix's algorithm (if you type in a show you like that's on another platform Netflix is pretty good about finding the nearest equivalent), not loving it so far.  

But I get the sense there's a lot of Anime out there that I've missed....

I have very little left of Angel. I think the last episode I watched was Harm’s way, which was so much fun. I loved loved loved the subverted tropes and I’m glad Harmony got her own episode. Angel has terrible people management skills, btw and is absolutely unfit to be a corporate ceo. 

When I’m done I might circle back to Lost or watch You season 4.

I watched The Many Saints of Newark. This was ... not good. After watching it, I was so mystified I had to double check to see if David Chase was actually involved in it's production. The movie tried to shoe-horn in these references to the series that just did not work for me (like the 'makings of a varsity athlete' line). I also felt like they were trying to re-create character ticks and mannerisms for purely nostalgia purposes. Watching the actor playing Paulie felt like watching an amateur night audition. And what the fuck was up with Silvio's hair? I know Chase probably wanted to address the fan reaction to Silvio's artificially-perfect hairdo from the series but if the TV show ending was flipping the bird to the audience, this hairline thing was something on the level of public indecency. It's been awhile since I've re-watched the TV show but some of the events surrounding Dickie Moltisanti didn't feel right even if perhaps the show was meant to mislead us. Rather disappointing.

1 minute ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Watched Prey today and I most say I enjoyed it a lot. Probably the best Predator movie since the first one.

Probably?  I don't have any doubts. 

My wife and I have been enjoying The Last Kingdom.  I'm 7 books in of the book series, and the show seems to be doing 2 books per season, so I'm either going to surpass my book knowledge or have to convince my wife to stop watching for a while. 

Regardless, the show is a lot less trashy than I would have expected.  There are certainly some concessions made to the limited budget, but fewer than I would have thought.  I really enjoy how unsympathetic the show is towards both Alfred and Uthred.  I feared that this show would veer towards "OMG Uthred is such an amazing warrior and so hot", and while there is some of that, it balances it out by showing him also being a viscous, stubborn moron.   

48 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Probably?  I don't have any doubts. 

My wife and I have been enjoying The Last Kingdom.  I'm 7 books in of the book series, and the show seems to be doing 2 books per season, so I'm either going to surpass my book knowledge or have to convince my wife to stop watching for a while. 

Regardless, the show is a lot less trashy than I would have expected.  There are certainly some concessions made to the limited budget, but fewer than I would have thought.  I really enjoy how unsympathetic the show is towards both Alfred and Uthred.  I feared that this show would veer towards "OMG Uthred is such an amazing warrior and so hot", and while there is some of that, it balances it out by showing him also being a viscous, stubborn moron.   

The show diverges quite a lot in the last 2 seasons from the books

17 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I watched The Many Saints of Newark. This was ... not good. After watching it, I was so mystified I had to double check to see if David Chase was actually involved in it's production. The movie tried to shoe-horn in these references to the series that just did not work for me (like the 'makings of a varsity athlete' line). I also felt like they were trying to re-create character ticks and mannerisms for purely nostalgia purposes. Watching the actor playing Paulie felt like watching an amateur night audition. And what the fuck was up with Silvio's hair? I know Chase probably wanted to address the fan reaction to Silvio's artificially-perfect hairdo from the series but if the TV show ending was flipping the bird to the audience, this hairline thing was something on the level of public indecency. It's been awhile since I've re-watched the TV show but some of the events surrounding Dickie Moltisanti didn't feel right even if perhaps the show was meant to mislead us. Rather disappointing.

Pretty much a universal response. It was bad. I didn't even watch it in one sitting, got bored and turned it off and picked it up again weeks later.

Forgot to talk about Peripherals: The Worlds of Flynn.

It was so fucking promising... An intriguing premise, great visuals, decent acting (Moretz is a bit flat, but she still does a decent job). But the plot fails to develop properly. At some point they seem to just say "fuck it" and reveal prett much everything. And then there's some nonsense plot device/point to magically help the heroin come out on top... that didn't make much sense to me.
I'm not interested in a season 2 tbh. I just don't see what the show could offer...

Archived