Watch, Watched, Watching: Looking for the Light

Ramsay B.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why is that? 

I have kinda suspected since like 2009 or so that those devious foreigns have been having entire films re-written, re-shot, and re-marketed after the Idiot-Brained Americans are done sloughing (their money) at the trough. 

But that's just me

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why is that? 

I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe it's a pandemic thing -- a lot of these films which are more art house/indie things are earning even less than they did before, so it takes longer for distributors to pick them up or something. 

It's very annoying, though, to have discussions about best films of the previous year, and multiple nominees don't show here until the present year.

1 hour ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

I have kinda suspected since like 2009 or so that those devious foreigns have been having entire films re-written, re-shot, and re-marketed after the Idiot-Brained Americans are done sloughing (their money) at the trough. 

It's the other way, mostly. A Man Called Otto? That was a Swedish film (En man som heter Ove) originally!

39 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe it's a pandemic thing -- a lot of these films which are more art house/indie things are earning even less than they did before, so it takes longer for distributors to pick them up or something. 

It's very annoying, though, to have discussions about best films of the previous year, and multiple nominees don't show here until the present year.

Odd. I'll probably never understand the arbitrary way in which content is released. 

Finally cracked open my folk horror box set All The Haunts Be Ours from Severin Films that I got as a gift last year during the holidays. Pretty sure I’ve never seen any of the 19 films included in the set, but right off the bat I really dug the first one I watched: Eyes of Fire. I definitely recommend it to anyone who’s into films like The VVitch. I hope there’s some more gems as good as this one in this collection. 

This weeks episode of 1923 was pretty great.

Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren, the son and daughter in law, doing the extended dinner scene that gets the 2 men in hot water for talking politics at dinner. Absolute gold, especiamly Harrisons advice. Great scene.

Power face has been growing on me. I wasn't a huge fan of the first episodes, as I found the "Columbo" vibes a bit boring and unimaginative, but then episode 3 made me chuckle a few times because of the dog, and episodes 4,5, & 6 were just very good. Episode 4 drew a bit more than a chuckle thanks to Krampus, and then episode 5 was quite simply phenomenal.

It's nice that they didn't stick with the "murder mystery" vibe of episodes 1 to 3 imho, going instead for some faster-paced episodes with plot twists. And while Charlie being a bit... uhm... dumb was annoying at first, it's grown into a funny trope by now. I still dunno what to think of the main character, but Lyonne certainly does a great job of bringing her to life.

I finished my tussle with the LOTR Extended Editions with The Return of the King. Ultimately, my assessment remains broadly similar to the one I have had for the previous two extended editions. It's nice that they exist and if you are a big fan, you definitely have to have seen them at least once, but I would say that the theatrical cut is superior.

As to the extended edition of tRoK specifically, I do think it is the best of the bunch. The fact that Saruman's fate is not resolved in the theatrical cut is quite odd and it's a good thing that the extended cut rectifies it. The scene with the Mouth of Sauron is rather cool, although I get why it was cut, as it makes Aragorn look like a bit of a war criminal. I also think that the added material makes the ending of tRoK's extended cut feel less bloated than the theatrical cut where the ending just keeps on going in comparison to what came before.

All in all, I was very glad to be able to revisit this franchise. I would recommend people not to do it in 4K however. For some reason everything looked more childlike than I remembered. It doesn't surprise me now that PJ would end up creating The Hobbit. Like George Lucas, he was hemmed in by the state of technology which provided a check on his worst impulses as a film maker.

I've been watching 70s trash.  Towering Inferno, okay, maybe not pure trash, full of 70s stars and fashion, but cannot be called 'good'.  And old Hammer films, my favorite trash.  I also ran across the Rod Serling Night Gallery pilot with Spielberg directing Joan Crawford...and I could see the talent there.  NG certainly never lived up to the potential of the pilot, that is for sure.  

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 

A part of me wished for a happy ending but really I know it was perfect the way it was. :bawl: :crying: :bawl: :crying: 

Spoiler

everybody's last days… Wesley asking Illyria to lie for him… her smashing that demon wizard… Lorne's final mission… College Connor… damn the feels. 

it was all so perfect and beautiful. I'm really happy I got to watch this. It was a beautiful story. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

A part of me wished for a happy ending but really I know it was perfect the way it was.

Spoiler

I chuckled when you were hoping to see Lindsey again, knowing what was coming. Greeeeat finale.

So, how'd you take the turn in Fred's story? "A Hole in the World" was heartbreaking, IMO, really beautifully acted by Acker and Denisof.

57 minutes ago, Ran said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I chuckled when you were hoping to see Lindsey again, knowing what was coming. Greeeeat finale.

So, how'd you take the turn in Fred's story? "A Hole in the World" was heartbreaking, IMO, really beautifully acted by Acker and Denisof.

Spoiler

Oh it was savage. They do unfulfilled love beautifully and masterfully, but ripping away Fred like that was horrific. I did like Illyria though. Amy Acker showed some serious acting prowess in channeling her. 

Yes I did think of your  emoji when Lindsey showed up. he’s a good character and salvaged Eve’s shenanigans. His demise was the one part of the double cross I didn’t expect. 

FWIW, there are comic books for both Buffy and Angel that provide "canonical", Joss Whedon-approved/co-plotted (at least notionally -- that's what they said but I'm not sure how involved he really was was ever confirmed) continuations of both series. The Angel one was called After the Fall, I think Buffy was Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8. The latter especially took a lot of license to do big, fantasy/sci-fi stuff with the unlimited budget that is comics.  They both ended up continuing past any clear Whedon involvement, and had spin-off (for characters like Spike and Faith, IIRC).

That said, they are not necessary in any way, just a way to get back into the characters and world.

Have you tried Firefly? That got cut short and may not be to your taste, but it's the other show to try really. Well, that and Dollhouse, but that was a lot more uneven and didn't really find its footing until the end of the first season (when Fox interference got to a minimum) and especially season 2.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Joss Whedon-approved/co-plotted (at least notionally -- that's what they said but I'm not sure how involved he really was was ever confirmed) 

He's a pretty good comic writer, so it wouldn't be surprising if he was fairly involved. 

There was a comic Firefly continuation too. 

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He's a pretty good comic writer, so it wouldn't be surprising if he was fairly involved. 

There was a comic Firefly continuation too. 

Yeah, loved his Astonishing X-Men run. And Fray was pretty cool (also something that may be of interest, @RhaenysBee -- basically a science fictional Vampire Slayer of the 23rd century story that Whedon wrote).

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

A part of me wished for a happy ending but really I know it was perfect the way it was. :bawl: :crying: :bawl: :crying: 

Reveal hidden contents

everybody's last days… Wesley asking Illyria to lie for him… her smashing that demon wizard… Lorne's final mission… College Connor… damn the feels. 

it was all so perfect and beautiful. I'm really happy I got to watch this. It was a beautiful story. 

Even if it wasn't intended as the series finale at the time I think it does work very well as a final episode.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

Even if it wasn't intended as the series finale at the time I think it does work very well as a final episode.

It was meant that way; while this wasn't going to be the final season they had a few episodes notice that it would be the final season and tried to wrap things up.

And yeah, it's a great ending for angel. 

Hearts of Darkness is easily one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. In retrospect it's amazing they were ever able to complete Apocalypse Now. It sounds like everything that could go wrong did go wrong and even after they wrapped shooting they still had a complete mess of a movie. A great editor can cover up a ton of mistakes and problems.

Also, Dennis Hopper is either completely insane, was high as a kite or both. I see no daylight between his character in the movie and how he was acting on set. 

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hearts of Darkness is easily one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. In retrospect it's amazing they were ever able to complete Apocalypse Now. It sounds like everything that could go wrong did go wrong and even after they wrapped shooting they still had a complete mess of a movie. A great editor can cover up a ton of mistakes and problems.

Also, Dennis Hopper is either completely insane, was high as a kite or both. I see no daylight between his character in the movie and how he was acting on set. 

Yeah, this is great. 

If you've not seen it, I'd highly recommend what is something of a companion piece in Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau.

Absolutely bonkers. 

Archived