Watch, Watched, Watching: Looking for the Light

Ramsay B.

25 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Eyes are in the beholder, I suppose. 

In some endings, I guess. 

To each their own. I'm finishing up the 1976 version of King Kong before The Last of Us  gets going.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

To each their own. I'm finishing up the 1976 version of King Kong before The Last of Us  gets going.

Lemme know how it goes. I'm a week or so back I think. 

And remember. 

I'll stop as soon as you tell me to stop 

Alaska Daily has started streaming on Hulu after a few months break.

I enjoy this, Hillary Swank produces and plays a investigative reporter.

If you liked any of "Spotlight/The Post/All the Presidents Men/Newsroom" (as I do), this may be your cup of tea.

3 hours ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Partial to Season 2. 

Also, I don't understand why people like Wrath of Khan so much. 

ToMP is far superior. 

The Wrath of Kahn is a great action flick. But I saw it from the library shortly after JJ Trek came out. 

Holy shit, one is never truly alone. I find Wrath of Khan highly overrated. But if ToMP stands The Motion Picture, no that one is still dud, sorry. First Contact is my jam.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Holy shit, one is never truly alone. I find Wrath of Khan highly overrated. But if ToMP stands The Motion Picture, no that one is still dud, sorry. First Contact is my jam.

You're allowed to have terrible taste :P 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:27 AM, 3CityApache said:

Finished Fleishman is in Trouble and liked it very much. It was really cool how they managed to transform this show from the light comedy in the first couple of episodes into much more serious drama later on, without losing any of its appeal. Last two episodes were great. 

Definitely recommend this show. I really enjoyed it from start to finish. At points its also a gripping thriller where you just want to find out what happens, but by the end you realise the show is trying to make some large commentary so it's less relevant.

Spoiler

I knew after a couple of episodes that this must be a very one sided perspective of events from Toby's point of view. There was no way that Rachel was as cold and heartless as she was being portrayed. The show did a very good job of drawing you into Toby's POV though and making you believe it. It then also showed you Rachel's point of view and you started to see how it all wasn't black and white at all.

I thought I would get irritated by that last episode. Making the plot of a series follow one character but then flip it at the end to being about someone else could become the most frustrating thing that could happen for a viewer. I could have been getting angry thinking 'gaaah show me what happens with Toby's marriage you bastards!!' 

But actually thematically it all fell together really well. The whole show is a profound commentary on middle age, marriage, sacrifice and what it means you make commitments and lose yourself. I think its a show that will stick with me for years and maybe influence my life to some small degree!

Outside of watching Fleishman is in Trouble, as a colourful diversion I started watching The Legend of Vox Machina. In a world of endless fantasy animation to choose from, it's just kind of blowing my mind that a show like this is so enjoyable and it's hard to pin down how they got the formula right where others don't seem to. There is nothing exceptional about it, the writing, the animation, the story and the characters are all pretty standard stuff. In fact I should have been put off by the way characters talk within minutes but I stuck with it. It just comes together really well and makes me want to watch the next episode.

I have completely given up on The Last of US. I knew it would take a lot to get me to watch yet another Zombie show and despite occasionally great episodes, I just don't think this is all that strong a show. It just feels like there are too many elements I've seen before all in one place. You have a tired old post apocalyptic setting, a story based on a game I already played which in itself is just retooling standard tropes, and you have Pedro Pascal doing his Mandalorian thing almost to a tee. Plus Ellie is a pure teenage annoyance. I think I'm done unless reviews suggest the show becomes mindblowing.

Similarly, the Mandalorian is show I cannot bring myself to watch any more. If it was a purely episodic Lone Wolf and Cub show where they walk into a different town each week I might be into it, but this isn't a show that needs a big story to push it forward.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:47 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I just finished the first 7 episodes of Shrinking.  It is a beautiful, heartfelt, and sincere examination of grief and damage.

Scot, if you like a study of grief and damage, you should also try Dear Edward I think. I started watching both shows at the same time and I like them both, but find the latter more compelling.

I watched a bunch of stuff yesterday, including:

The Harley Quinn Valentine Day special. I love the fact that this series is now popular enough to warrant specials. That being said, it was very forgettable as far as Harley Quinn episodes go. Would recommend it if you are really into the series, but otherwise perfectly okay to skip.

The new episode from The Mandalorian. I was real glad that it only lasted for twenty minutes. That felt like mercy to me, so not a great sign for the series as a whole. If I didn't see this with friends, I think I would quit. Hopefully that feeling changes over the course of the season.

Then I watched Logan Lucky, one of those films from the last couple of years that I never got around to. It wasn't a great night of entertainment for me and I think this was probably the worst thing I saw that evening. Everyone aside from Riley Keogh was really poor in it, the humour was non-existent (apart from one extended hilarious joke about TWOW) and even by the low, low standards of heist movies I thought the plot was convoluted. I'm also pretty sure that this film was the first that tried to give us Daniel Craig's take on a good ol' boy and I believe we all concur that it needs to stop.

We finished off with a pallet cleanser of Rick & Morty. Specifically the episode in which they make fun of heist movies. We followed it up with the dragon episode which is not really seen as a good episode, but I still loved tremendously with it.

2S E1 of "Perry Mason" out tonight in our area. Just watched S1 and am going to continue w/ this. Mathew Rhys is a super talented actor, I've been looking forward to seeing him in something solid after the "The Americans".

Have also started "Superman & Lois", which is decent (if campy) fun and not particularly retread material for me because I never have been a big DC follower previously. This series is primarily taking place in Smallville as Lois and Clark move back to the family farm to raise their two HS age boys.

Watched season 1 of Pantheon (an animated series).

It's dreadful that this show was not renewed - though apparently the second season was ordered, so it might just be about finding a way to release it? I truly don't get how the season of a show can be done... and yet not broadcast?

Anyway, this show is really good. The themes are pretty much the same as Ghost in the shell and Serial experiments Lain, but in a Westernized approach. It doesn't go too deep, but that makes it all the more entertaining. And they were in fact working on something I find rather original.

However, if we can never see that second season, it is truly unfinished.
We need that second season, do you hear me, hivemind? There's not that many shows on those themes.

Archived