Watch, Watched, Watching: Looking for the Light

Ramsay B.

Watched Babylon and thought it was mostly boring except for the Tobey Maguire segment.

This movie did NOT need to be 3 hours. Also the ending just went on forever and I was like "I get the point, end already".

On 2/5/2023 at 8:24 PM, DMC said:

Yeah, that one I certainly remember.  A few others too, particularly in Two Towers.  But I know just based on memory I can't identify a whole hell of a lot more that was added.

Gandalf vs the Witch King was also added to the Extended Edition.

On 2/5/2023 at 10:53 PM, Ran said:

The role really made Ray Stevenson's career, in particular.

Which promptly crashed afterwards?

Fantastic series though.

34 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Which promptly crashed afterwards?

Punisher, a cushy sidekick role in the Thor Marvel franchise, lead villain of a season of Dexter... he's done all right for himself.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

Punisher, a cushy sidekick role in the Thor Marvel franchise, lead villain of a season of Dexter... he's done all right for himself.

He was also in RRR which gave me a sense that the movie is not 'high brow' straight away if you cast him as an English gent. 

He has done ok, his level is really straight to dvd type action movies, so anything above that is a bonus. He was always fun in Rome but that will always be the high point of his career, I think he got quite lucky with that role.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

, I think he got quite lucky with that role.

Yes, it's definitely the role he'll be remembered for, but he was perfect for it, and it set up a lot of the roles he's gotten since.

That said, I recall thinking his villain in Dexter was a highlight of the otherwise-poor season. 

54 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yes, it's definitely the role he'll be remembered for, but he was perfect for it, and it set up a lot of the roles he's gotten since.

That said, I recall thinking his villain in Dexter was a highlight of the otherwise-poor season. 

He definitely put his stamp on that role and fitted what the character was. One of my main issues with Rome, which took a lot of getting used to, was how un-Roman everyone seemed. Stevenson feels like hes been pulled straight out of back street cockney gangland crime thriller, I always struggled to picture him as being in ancient rome. That was kind of a problem with a lot of the actors actually. Kevin McKidd never felt very roman to me, even Ciaran Hinds seemed very much not how I pictured Julius Caesar. 

But then I loved all of them and I can't fault any of their performances, it just took a lot of getting used to, but they do fit the kind of show that Rome is.

I just watched the episode where Vorenus runs for magistrate and someone tells him to go back to Gaul, so they do kind of make light of his not "looking" particularly Roman, heh. But his character's stoicism and stiff attention to honor and duty and proper procedure was a lovely way to give an insight into Roman cultural attitudes.

Purefoy was also excellent as Antony, and I liked Max Pirkis as Octavian. I wondered what had become of him (he was also good in Master & Commander) and discovered he moved laterally in the film business -- he's now an executive involved in sales and acquisition of films at a UK distributor.

I think everyone was excellent in the show in fact. Purefoy is now how I imagine Anthony, David Bamber is Cicero in my head. I did always find it odd watching Vorenus as I knew him as the guy who dies of AIDs in Trainspotting. 

But I agree, they all embody the characters and time period well in some way, even if visually and aesthetically they might not always conform to my pre-imagined ideas of the characters. 

Finished the rewatch of the first season of Rome. Wonderful stuff. Very bad history, as far as actual characters and events, but it did a decent job of getting across how ancient Roman society was in some ways very, very different from our own, and in some ways not that different at all.

On 2/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I thought that was from the original version. Seems like it happens every time I catch the movie on TV.

Was cut from the theatrical version, because Christopher Lee was pissed about it

30 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Cocaine Bear.  What a sick, vile idea for a movie.  Just what we need, look how funny it is that a bear is high on cocaine, hahaha, and then people will attempt to do it in real life.

Are you really concerned that people are going to try to give bears cocaine because they saw it in a movie? 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Are you really concerned that people are going to try to give bears cocaine because they saw it in a movie? 

Sure, why wouldn't they?  And if not a bear then other smaller animals, because it's so, so funny and it's in a movie.  Look how funny it is.

Archived