Watch, Watched, Watching: Looking for the Light

Ramsay B.

14 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

So you all hate Star Wars (the original) as well? :eek:

Are we kicking off the bi-weekly Star Wars... wars already? The watching thread is as good a place as any I guess. Game on, bitches!

In very short order, Avatar 2 and TG:M's combined world wide box office will overtake all three 2022 MCU films and Jurassic world: Dominion, combined. And Avatar 2 still has a way to go before it's done.

Dormant franchises, sequels, "no asked for", one that came that close to going direct to streaming, another with a questionable "cultural footprint" that more than a few people were legit saying could bomb at the box office as recently as a few weeks ago. 

That's insane to me.

Oh, the hardware will be nice. The little gold statue will look amazing on top of that enormous pile of moneys!!

In other news, Puss in Boots 2 seems to be finding its feet at the box office. This makes me happy. They deserve to get paid. 

23 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

So you all hate Star Wars (the original) as well? :eek:

Haha, fair point, but as much as A New Hope might not quite hold up 40 years later, its still got a much better story and is better executed than Maverick. A better comparison is to the Star Wars theme park rides at Disney World. 

12 hours ago, Ran said:

Also liked Amy Acker in Dollhouse. 

Fred ... well, her story Takes. A. Turn. 

Oh boy. Is it always the quiet ones? :uhoh: 

another thought regarding Angel. I absolutely love the character development of Cordelia. She reminds me of someone in real life so so much, but I can’t put my finger on it. Either way, her strong female character energy is going through the roof and far outclasses most modern attempts at the archetype. Go Cordy, go!

Spoiler

She also gives me some strong Charmed vibes with her powers, and feels like a later seasons Phoebe Halliwell with a hint of Prue (Back in the day I was a Charmed fan, and only came into the Buffyverse last summer) and I wonder if there was any cross influence between the two shows. 

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Can I be the one to tell @Tywin et al. how sad Tom Cruise feels about the lesson the night after Top Gun 2 got 6 oscar nominations? :P

EEAAO got 10 and will actually win a number of them. Meanwhile Tommy got snubbed and Top Gun will probably win one throwaway award to make them feel special. Congrats!

Also, the award breakdown I looked at had a glamor pic of Cate Blanchett and she's 1,000% a vampire.

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Are we kicking off the bi-weekly Star Wars... wars already? The watching thread is as good a place as any I guess. Game on, bitches!

To paraphrase Vin Diesel in F&F:

Star Wars Wars... we invented it.

Oh, the hardware will be nice. The little gold statue will look amazing on top of that enormous pile of moneys!!

In other news, Puss in Boots 2 seems to be finding its feet at the box office. This makes me happy. They deserve to get paid. 

Good to hear, I hope Puss in Boots 2 stays around for a bit. It was unexpectedly great :)

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

EEAAO got 10 and will actually win a number of them. Meanwhile Tommy got snubbed and Top Gun will probably win one throwaway award to make them feel special. Congrats!

EEAAO deserves all the love that is thrown at it, so I was happy to read that :)

Even if Top Gun 2 picks up no awards, it's still a roaring success. Something you fed, ever just so slightly, by watching it on the airplane. So in a way, the triumph of Top Gun 2 is also partly a story of your triumph. You and Tom Cruise did this together :P 

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Haha, fair point, but as much as A New Hope might not quite hold up 40 years later, its still got a much better story and is better executed than Maverick. A better comparison is to the Star Wars theme park rides at Disney World. 

I think that if you looked deep enough in your heart, you would find there is room for more than one trench run set piece in there :P

Elvis:

I've never been a big fan of musician biopics, mostly because the people depicted are scumbags or the films just aren't well made.

I loved this one. 

Great fucking movie.

Speaking of great fucking movies, we watched Braveheart last night after haggis for dinner. 

What a movie. I don't care about the historical inaccuracies, Gibson told a fantastic story. The script, the acting, the battle scenes. And that beautiful score. Wow. 

Easy to see why it won Best Picture at the Oscars. 

Luhrmann's a much, much, much better director than Snyder. They don't even belong in the same sentence together.

Elvis is uneven and hampered by Luhrmann's apparent decision to have Hanks go overboard with the Colonel's accent (or, alternatively, Luhrmann failed to rein in Hanks on going overboard), but there's some real energy in the editing and cinematography, and Austin Butler is surprisingly good. 

Of Luhrmann's films I've only seen Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge, and The Great Gatsby, but I find the comparison to Zach Snyder quite odd.  I'm not a huge fan of the former, but I don't see much similarities between the two at all.

As for Braveheart, yeah, it's definitely one of my all-time favorites.  I understand people get mad about the historical inaccuracies, but that's a silly reason to argue it isn't still a great film in my book.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Luhrmann's a much, much, much better director than Snyder. They don't even belong in the same sentence together.

Elvis is uneven and hampered by Luhrmann's apparent decision to have Hanks go overboard with the Colonel's accent (or, alternatively, Luhrmann failed to rein in Hanks on going overboard), but there's some real energy in the editing and cinematography, and Austin Butler is surprisingly good. 

My comparison is based on the fact they seem to be much more concerned with filming ‘epic moments’ than a coherent flowing movie.

Elvis is really just a collection of ‘cool looking scenes’ stitched together like an over long montage within a montage. 

That’s basically the Snyder formula as well. I think the comparison is very apt actually.

I'm reminded of Ran's pal who, in a pretty scathing review of All Quiet on the Western Front, vents a fair bit of spleen at that film for having too much of a "Zack Snyder" aesthetic sensibility. Now we have Snyder comparisons being invoked to bash Elvis

These films have 24 BAFTA and 13 Oscar nominations between them. 

Carry on, bitches. 

Archived