Watch, Watched, Watching: Looking for the Light

Ramsay B.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

It was ruined by totally unnecessary scabby feet. 

I can't say you're wrong. But he fixes his feet, until he takes in the cat. I'm sure I don't have to say it but the cat == Nasir. He can't get Nas out of rikers and at first he thinks he can't even help the cat, because allergies. Then the chinstown doctor helps his feet and he takes the cat in temporarily, quarantined to one room. 

But then even that is too much and his feet get bad again and he gives the cat back. (boo) He tried but nature is nature. 

I'm sorry I'm tired and out of drugs, but In the end he says "fuck it" at takes the cat.

Edit:

I found that to be a relatively hopeful ending. and I dunno that it would have landed the same if it was just "cat / allergies /get rig of cat / relent "  

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Baz  Luhrmann Best director awards for Elvis:

Critics Choice Awards: Nominated

Golden Globes: Nominated

Hollywood Critics Association: Nominated

AARP Movies for Grownups Awards: Pending (Respect!)

And the much more illustrious Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards, which he won. Australians are of course 10% cooler than anyone else.

He'll also get an AFI 10 best of 2022 award. 

Hahah, keep reaching mate. Did he also get the TV Guide readers choice award? Dog lovers weekly nomination for director of the year?

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Hahah, keep reaching mate. Did he also get the TV Guide readers choice award? Dog lovers weekly nomination for director of the year?

I reach for nothing. That Aussie award is prestigious as hell. and if I had that and the AARP award on my shelf? They could take that little gold statue and stick in their bum. 

Watch the anime To Your Eternity which is probably one of the saddest fictional things I ever watched. Great stuff with a lot of scenes that would be impossible to pull off in live action I feel.

Rewatched Blade Runner 2049 and it has grown a lot on me(might be because I love Dune). The only bad thing is Harrison Ford who should have stopped acting at some point I feel.

Watched White Noise with my gf this week.  Was pretty cool, love the book and this seems pretty true to it, they definitely leaned into the comedy aspect of it.  Have to reread the book now, there was one thing that I think was a significant change but maybe I just have a shit memory (it's been over 20 years).  

Don Cheadle nailed the Murray role, incredible casting and performance.  On that note the casting was excellent all around, not a huge Adam Driver fan but I really enjoyed his performance.  

4 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Watch the anime To Your Eternity which is probably one of the saddest fictional things I ever watched. Great stuff with a lot of scenes that would be impossible to pull off in live action I feel.

Rewatched Blade Runner 2049 and it has grown a lot on me(might be because I love Dune). The only bad thing is Harrison Ford who should have stopped acting at some point I feel.

Or maybe started

5 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

BR 2049 is a perfect example of why some films absolutely need to be seen in a theater. It just isn't the same on TV. I hope they re-release it someday. 

Heard a lot of good things about the haunting of hill house and even though i spent most of the first episode being like 'wait, there's *another* sibling?!', the first episode was alright and i'll keep watching. I need to not watch it at night though

I watched Our Flag Means Death, and had mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, its core dynamic seemed pretty much designed as fan service, except that it was focused on two middle-aged men and not twenty-somethings. It was mildly funny, but rarely very funny. (Ok, the falling piano was very funny, admitted.) For a pirate comedy drama, it contained lots of earnest conversations about feelings, and to a degree that's part of the joke, but I don't think we're meant to view them all ironically. 

A lot of the time it felt oddly as if it might be a children's cartoon with more swearing. The episode with the party of OTT powdered aristocrats was the best by some distance. 

On the other hand, a children's cartoon with swearing is very much in my ballpark, so, eh. It was light, undemanding, and easy to watch in January, and I'm looking to the next series in the weak hope there'll be more jokes and less talking about feelings. 

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

BR 2049 is a perfect example of why some films absolutely need to be seen in a theater. It just isn't the same on TV. I hope they re-release it someday. 

And that soundtrack. My gods. Benjamin Wallfisch, with an assist from Hans Zimmer, wrote some amazing music. 

As it happens, I think BR2049 holds up, though I need to see the full thing again soon, but I really hate the idea of 'it has to be seen in a theatre'. Sure, some films do benefit from it and always will, but your film can't hold up without the loudest possible volume and biggest image to give your viewer sensory overload, you haven't made it properly. 

That's why The Matrix and Fury Road are great but Gravity is crap. 

Mind you, I will still always root for Sunshine, as clear a manifestation of this problem as I know of, so... hey ho. 

27 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

As it happens, I think BR2049 holds up, though I need to see the full thing again soon, but I really hate the idea of 'it has to be seen in a theatre'. Sure, some films do benefit from it and always will, but your film can't hold up without the loudest possible volume and biggest image to give your viewer sensory overload, you haven't made it properly. 

Wrong, you wrong, wrong man. 

The scenes that are most striking to on the big screen are things like the opening, where he's flying over the farmers fields that on second look turn out to be structures. Or Ryan Gosling, alone,  moving very slowly through the bowels of the wrecked ship, or the interiors of the Tyrell pyramid.

For me, they just don't have the same tension without the kind of immersive quality one gets in a cinema. Have I mentioned that I like to sit much closer to the screen than most people?

I'm thinking of seeing Cocaine Bear in IMAX... 

Finally got to the end of The Rig. Only six episodes but it was an effort. I feel bad for Iain Glen, Mark Addy and the other familiar man whose name I am blanking on (actually he probably got the best material out of the three of them). Everywhere you looked this series was lacking something - writing, effects, dialogue, production, direction. Yet the most irritating part of all was the character who worked for the big bad oil company who was meant to be a geologist and described herself as 'NOT a microbiologst' early on, who ended up spouting some bacteriology theories that I only learned about on my master's in microbiology. The practical microbiology on show was so painful I had to look away. Do not watch. However, this show was really fascinating in terms of puzzling over how shows this disappointing get made at all. Like, how many eyes looked on this and went, 'yeah, this is great'?

The Banshees of Inisherin

Solid. Great performances. Funny. Dark in places. Beautiful to look at. Recommend.

I'd have to say I liked this film more than I loved it. Same for 3 Billboards, McDonagh's previous film. I can see how these films get the raves they do but they just don't click with me to the same degree.

I'll probably give it rewatch sometime.  

My experience with Blade Runner 2049 was my first time going to IMAX, and (as I've reported before) the sound system was so distressingly loud that it actively detracted from the experience of the visual feast of the film. 

I did later see 1917 in IMAX and that was impressive and the sound was never unbearable, but different theater and different film.

Archived