What if Domeric had survived into the story?

Maegor_the_Cool

12 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

It is hard to say, because we know so little about him and his personality. He sounds like he could have been a decent fellow, but it is also possible he was just better at hiding a depraved nature than Ramsay (not very hard) and this is why Roose liked him better.

I just love the idea of Ramsay the loyal bastard being his father’s son Vs Domeric, the disloyal true born son. The conflict would’ve been great. Imagine Domeric involved in the GNC, to get Rickon back into Winterfell.

4 minutes ago, Maegor Targaryen I said:

I just love the idea of Ramsay the loyal bastard being his father’s son Vs Domeric, the disloyal true born son. The conflict would’ve been great. Imagine Domeric involved in the GNC, to get Rickon back into Winterfell.

Would have been cool. I agree.

13 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I think Domeric Bolton would be a minor player in Sansa's story.  He would still be hanging in the Vale, being a knight or something.   Old Roose would definitely have to keep those boys separated.  

That was an idea I had. Perhaps she’d have married him and turned him against Roose.

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

It is hard to say, because we know so little about him and his personality. He sounds like he could have been a decent fellow, but it is also possible he was just better at hiding a depraved nature than Ramsay (not very hard) and this is why Roose liked him better.

Unlikely that he was depraved. He was mostly raised away from his father's influence, after all. First he was in Barrowton, then he was at Redfort. It's the same way that Eddard retains the Arryn obsession with honour on top of his Stark roots. Lord Redfort even comments on Domeric's ability as a tourney knight. The very fact that he disobeyed his dad to go find Ramsay, that speaks to a man without malicious intent. If he was anything like Roose, he'd have avoided Ramsay at all costs, or even killed him himself. But he just wants to connect with a biological half-brother, and this proved his undoing.

9 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Wait a minute.  Wasn't Domeric the favorite of cranky grudge holding Barbary Dustin's?  Gotta wonder why now that I think about that.    

Yea exactly! That's always been my line of thinking too.

We don't know anything about him, it's weird to me that so many what iffs come from this mysterious dead guy. We can kinda assume that Ramsay or Roose killed him, but as Theon notes that's pure speculation.

All we really know is he was a Bolton who Lady Dustin liked. So, I'ma go ahead and say "screw that guy"

8 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

We don't know anything about him, it's weird to me that so many what iffs come from this mysterious dead guy. We can kinda assume that Ramsay or Roose killed him, but as Theon notes that's pure speculation.

All we really know is he was a Bolton who Lady Dustin liked. So, I'ma go ahead and say "screw that guy"

What if the Hooded Man is Domeric! I wouldn’t care how much of an ass-pull that’d be. Domeric is one of those tertiary characters that are just so interesting.

At best, Olyvar Frey’d for the RW. But don’t assume that because he’s supposed to be a good chap he’d have sided against his own house. Much more likely is that the (literally) millennia-old feud between his house and the Starks is probably informed by a lot more of the heinous shit the Starks have done AND a very different take on what they have been doing lately. 

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

He was her nephew.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

At best, Olyvar Frey’s for the RW. But don’t assume that because he’s supposed to be a good chap he’d have sided against his own house. Much more likely is that he (literally) millennia-old feud between his house and the Starks is probably informed by a lot more of the heinous shit the Starks have done AND a very different take on what they have been doing lately. 

Definitely a possibility given how little we know of him. He is just such a mysterious character that we are likely never to hear about again

2 hours ago, Maegor Targaryen I said:

What if the Hooded Man is Domeric! I wouldn’t care how much of an ass-pull that’d be. Domeric is one of those tertiary characters that are just so interesting.

Lol hes not. 

Idk, cool name. Cool plot device. That Roose thinks Rams is capable of kinslaying doesn't look good for Ramsay's perspective. That's certainly what Lady Dustin thinks. I think also charges against Domeric might happen when Fat Waldas future son mysteriously dies by flay. 

But as for the individual character, meh. I like brother Brandon and uncle Houdini Lannister. Definitely characters that actually grazed our story like Weasel. But as for knowing more about Domerik? Two Boltons, for me, is plenty enough lol

1 hour ago, fiatlux said:

He was her nephew.

True. Still, not the best character witness 

One of the few What Ifs that I will answer.  I may choose to answer more in the future.  I want to look deeper into the politics of the north before arriving at the answer to you.  

A lot of the high ranking families in the north were not happy about the Starks forcing them to go to war.  Lady Dustin passes for an experienced woman with intelligence.  If she grudgingly went along with Robb's call then there are others who were put in the same predicament by the Starks.  Bolton heir Domeric would answer the call and go but he will not be happy about it.  I do not expect anything would have changed except Ramsay would be out of the frame.  

Trying to frame a picture where the Starks are right and everybody in the north should support their rebellion is illogical.  They supported Robb but only because the alternative was death.  Roose Bolton, Barbrey Dustin, and many others were reasonable to be pissed at the Starks for starting another war so soon after the debacle with Lyanna.  

Domeric would support Roose.  He will have guilt and reservations like most but he would feel the same way his dad did.  Does he push the sword in Robb's like his dad did?  I think he might.  It was either accept Robb's poor leadership and loose more Dreadfort men or side with the Lannisters.  The Lannisters will demand proof of loyalty.  Robb was a danger to all of them.  The Boltons can't go back home after betraying the Starks if Robb was still living.  Domeric would conclude the truth of it.  Robb Stark had to die.  

19 minutes ago, James West said:

One of the few What Ifs that I will answer.  I may choose to answer more in the future.  I want to look deeper into the politics of the north before arriving at the answer to you.  

A lot of the high ranking families in the north were not happy about the Starks forcing them to go to war.  Lady Dustin passes for an experienced woman with intelligence.  If she grudgingly went along with Robb's call then there are others who were put in the same predicament by the Starks.  Bolton heir Domeric would answer the call and go but he will not be happy about it.  I do not expect anything would have changed except Ramsay would be out of the frame.  

Trying to frame a picture where the Starks are right and everybody in the north should support their rebellion is illogical.  They supported Robb but only because the alternative was death.  Roose Bolton, Barbrey Dustin, and many others were reasonable to be pissed at the Starks for starting another war so soon after the debacle with Lyanna.  

Domeric would support Roose.  He will have guilt and reservations like most but he would feel the same way his dad did.  Does he push the sword in Robb's like his dad did?  I think he might.  It was either accept Robb's poor leadership and loose more Dreadfort men or side with the Lannisters.  The Lannisters will demand proof of loyalty.  Robb was a danger to all of them.  The Boltons can't go back home after betraying the Starks if Robb was still living.  Domeric would conclude the truth of it.  Robb Stark had to die.  

Not really. Say Robb got through the Twins and the Boltons hadn’t betrayed him. He could have EASILY held the North and destroyed the Ironborn. Even with Tywin alive he’d be in no danger in the North. The Riverlands were probably lost. But the North is unholdable unless you have the majority of support in the North.

16 minutes ago, Maegor Targaryen I said:

Not really. Say Robb got through the Twins and the Boltons hadn’t betrayed him. He could have EASILY held the North and destroyed the Ironborn. Even with Tywin alive he’d be in no danger in the North. The Riverlands were probably lost. But the North is unholdable unless you have the majority of support in the North.

The time line of when Roose decided to cast his lot with the Lannisters is the pivot point.  Imo,  Roose can no longer go back to his Stark masters after he gave Jaime permission to leave.  Jaime would be back in Stark prison if Roose had picked to side with Robb.  He chose to put all of his playing cards with Tywin.  Jaime knew.  He knew death was coming for Robb Stark and sent his regards.  It's so obvious it's not code.  It's plain speak.  Roose is safe as long as the secret is kept.  Would you rely on the secret remaining so?  You would not.  I would not.  Roose had crossed the river of no return.  

The birds flying to and from Harrenhall carried important messages.  Tywin, Walder, Walda, and Roose negotiated.  I don't want to know the details of the letter because the Stark side of the plot rarely interests me but Roose, Jaime, and Tywin planned the offer to entice Walder.  Walder's boys plotted the logistics of the wedding after dad put his signature on the parchment.  

Archived