Top 3 favorite POVs and Bottom 3 Least Favorite

Maegor_the_Cool

Favs: Jaime, Catelyn, Brienne (& Tyrion)

Least Favs: Arianne (GRRM has made her so dumb) and I have to say Jon and Dany. Although their first chapters are great, as they become mired in politics and as they have so many chapters, I was left with a felling of tedium.

I was trying to rate them as reading experience, but I suppose liking the character comes into it. I like Jon and Dany as characters, but got bored with the imperial politics 101 of the Mereen chapters etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Favorite

1. Daenerys Targaryen
    • Best character, best story. :wub:
    • Bonus points over Jon for starting much more marginalized (female, exile, in penury, lacking formal education, sold as a broodmare, etc.), and being a full-blown fantasy heroine (complete with the House of the Undying). The fantasy component is huge and does matter, and is particularly significant with a female character filling the role.
  2. Jon Snow
    • Best character, best story. :wub:
  3. Brienne of Tarth
    • "No chance, and no choice" alone could put her up here, but aside from that, Brienne is one of my absolute favorite characters, and the themes her chapters explore are among the most profound.

This was truly hard to choose. I like almost all of them, and absolutely love several. Cat, Tyrion, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Jaime, etc.; the list is about as long as the list of PoV characters! And characters like Cersei as well -- it's such a pleasure to read her chapters!

Least Favorite

1. Victarion Greyjoy
    • The actual worst.
  2. Areo Hotah
    • Just because he's essentially a window and by far the least-developed PoV character; this is not Mr. Martin's best writing. I have nothing against Areo or the characterization he has.
  3. Quentyn Martell
    • No knock against him personally, and I completely disagree with claims that his story is pointless or superfluous. However, the attitude he represents (which got him and innocents killed) was distasteful and telling, as intended.

Archived