Football: Fever Pitch

Raja

18 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Being not guilty in the eyes of the law means he must not be punished by the law. It doesn't mean private instituations- like United- or people aren't free to tell him to fuck off. Like, for United it might be complicated to actually fire him, but they don't have to play him or renew his contract. 

Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% that he clearly did what he was charged for and got off on a technicality. Not for a moment am I trying to make any kind of excuse for him nor do I think he's in the clear just because the charges were dropped.

I was just wondering what United's options were. Not sure if his suspension can stick for much longer so if he turns up for training fit enough, performs well in training and playing for the reserves and does everything right, do United have an option of not giving him any playing time. Sure, it's down to manager's choice but I was wondering if players contracts have any clauses that would prevent things like that. I'm sure that he'd have a case for harassment at court if he performed great in everything asked of him and was skipped over for every single match.

Sure, not renewing his contract is always an option, and they can look into mutual termination of the contract but I'm not sure allowing club to just ghost a player like that would set a good precedent, even though I'd say it is fully deserved in this case. Not sure we need to give clubs more power over the players.

And I'm fully aware that me saying that might be weird after I've took the clubs' side in every single case of player trying to force his way out of the club, but I see that as a completely different things. :lol:

1 hour ago, baxus said:

I was just wondering what United's options were. Not sure if his suspension can stick for much longer so if he turns up for training fit enough, performs well in training and playing for the reserves and does everything right, do United have an option of not giving him any playing time. Sure, it's down to manager's choice but I was wondering if players contracts have any clauses that would prevent things like that. I'm sure that he'd have a case for harassment at court if he performed great in everything asked of him and was skipped over for every single match.

Sure, not renewing his contract is always an option, and they can look into mutual termination of the contract but I'm not sure allowing club to just ghost a player like that would set a good precedent, even though I'd say it is fully deserved in this case. Not sure we need to give clubs more power over the players.

I can't see any club allowing contracts that specify minimum playing time. The manager has to be able to pick the team. We didn't get in trouble for Jose exiling Schweinsteiger for no reason at all, nor, longer ago but more drastically, Middlesbrough when Southgate just decided Mendieta didn't exist. They wouldn't even negotiate with other clubs to sell him, but got no consequence.

Both those players were in ending days of their careers and seemed pretty willing to ride their short term contracts out. Greenwood might see it differently and IF he does, it would be interesting to see how he goes about it. He might push for a loan or a transfer or contract termination or he might take United to court. Imagine if he presented the court with his perfect training record, 30 goals scored and 20 assists in the reserves and not a single minute on the pitch for the first team. It would be a pretty damning evidence against United for mobbing him at work if his charges couldn't be used as an explanation for it. Wouldn't you agree?

Once again, this is all just for discussion sake, not something I expect or wish to happen.

That won't happen. There are plenty of players bossing it at youth level but don't get into their club's first team. Training well and playing well in the reserves doesn't entitle anyone to a first team call up. Greenwood wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Besides that, Simon Stone has already reported that United will conduct their own internal investigation into how allegations ended up being made and Greenwood will not play or train until that process is complete, so obviously one can assume that the legal advice United got was that they are entitled to do that.

Going beyond this season, if United decide that they cannot have Greenwood back in the first team squad and Greenwood himself wants to restart his career, then a contract termination by mutual agreement might be best for both parties. I don't see United pissing away £75k/week for the next two years just to let Greenwood rot in the reserves. I expect a solution, either contract termination or reintegration into the squad, will happen before the start of next season.

Ronaldo was on his way out anyway and was doing everything he could to force the club into tearing up his contract. United aren't going to willingly pay £75k/week for the next two years just to have Greenwood sit in the reserves. I don't think Greenwood would want that either since he'd then be out of the first team for 3 and a half years by the time his contract is up. A contract termination by mutual consent is more likely than coming back into the first team but the latter cannot be completely ruled out. Greenwood could then resume his career in Saudi Arabia or something.

42 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

They set a bit of a precedent binning Ronaldo for just saying mean things to Piers Morgan, don't see how they can possibly bring him back into the squad. 

Just a quick reminder, that ETH happily played Quincy Promes while he was at Ajax. If you don't know, what this is about check Promes wikipedia page, that shit is wild, and I mean proper WILD. You can thank me later.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

They set a bit of a precedent binning Ronaldo for just saying mean things to Piers Morgan, don't see how they can possibly bring him back into the squad. 

Not really comparable, when you think about it.

United terminated Cronaldo's contract (as was obviously his intention), they didn't ghost him until his contract expired.

And Neuer finally broke his siilence and was (unsurprisingly) not happy.

1-2 weeks ago Bayern dismissed their Goalkeeping coach, Tapalovic. Nübel, who is on loan at Monaco heavily critized Tapalovic of being way too close to Neuer, and designing training sessions specifically for Neuer's goalkeeping game, and not having talked to Nübel once, since he went on loan to Monaco. (favoritism)

Nübel is not entirely wrong, Tapalovic is Neuer's closest confidant, and probably his best friend. He was also the best man at Neuer's wedding. 

Now then Neuer infamously broke his leg during a skiing accident after the Qatar event. Nübel spoke his mind as mentioned above and Bayern decided that was the moment to part with Tapalovic. Official reason, Tapalovic didn't get along with Nagelsmann. Bayern were eager to reassure Neuer, that the dismissal of Tapalovic has no influence whatsoever on his position at the club. Yes, Tapalovic was promoted to the role of an assistant manager under Flick and Nagelsmann demoted him back to the role of a mere GK coach. So that Nagelsmann and Tapalovic had some issues is probably true. Well, both things can be true at the same time.

Today Neuer spoke out about his unhappiness of his friend's firing, and the way it had been handled, and said he hasn't seen any convincing reason to do so, and he feels all the problems were solvable. This was the worst kick in the teeth moment of his career, even worse than the protests surrounding his transfer from Schalke to Bayern back then. And that it was entirely incompatible with the values of Bayern being one big family of a club. Furthermore there had been tears among the goalkeeping and playing staff over Tapalovic losing his job.

In short Neuer is not a happy camper.

On 2/2/2023 at 11:40 PM, polishgenius said:

Being not guilty in the eyes of the law means he must not be punished by the law. It doesn't mean private instituations- like United- or people aren't free to tell him to fuck off. Like, for United it might be complicated to actually fire him, but they don't have to play him or renew his contract. 

I know what you mean but no one has suggested he is not guilty. Dropping the charges does not amount to an acquittal.

Archived