Football: Fever Pitch

Raja

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I'd pick Rino Matarazzo over Marsch, if you want an American coach. 

I'm not too picky about who the next coach should be.  I just don't want another cycle of Gregg Berhalter.  After the recent scandal, Claudio Reyna's resignation would help as well.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

So City are gonna get off with a slap on the wrist, right?

Yes.

The worst I can see happening is City are fined and maybe given a points deduction. All this talk of stripping away titles seems very unlikely and relegation even less likely.

The PL sold out long ago. That's why many/most fans would secretly (or not) celebrate their club being taken over by a nation state/questionable owners with deep pockets willing to pump huge sums of money into the club.

There's also been reports that City's owners and their army of lawyers have been preparing for this possibility so, yeah, this is going to be a drawn out process and City might even win. Money talks, after all.

3 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I'm not too picky about who the next coach should be.  I just don't want another cycle of Gregg Berhalter.  After the recent scandal, Claudio Reyna's resignation would help as well.

Nevermind, Matarazzo has found a new job apparently. He is supposed to take over at Hoffenheim.

5 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I am not sure Der Spiegel would label itself as a German Investigative site. They're are (probably) the most respected piece of print media in Germany. Their old nickname has a much better ring to it. Assault Gun of Democracy. 

But the EPL is only reacting now? Like really?! 

Zaniolo joins Galatasaray on a 4-and-a-half year contract. Fee: €20m (including add-ons) with a release clause of €35m.

Mike Verweij reporting that Liverpool's Julian Ward is Ajax's top choice for Technical Director. Joyce reported previously that Ward will be leaving Liverpool at the end of the season.

If those rumours are actually true then UEFA would not even need to change their ownership rules because enforcement is a joke. If it were not then Red Bull Salzburg and Red Bull Leipzig would not have been allowed to compete in the same European competition for years.

There is a way around that too. According to the reports, it's a group of wealthy Qatari investors looking to buy the club and not QSI. It's probably bullshit and Qatar's investment fund would likely be involved in some way but on paper it would be a group of individual private investors.

The Premier League has already set a precedent of ignoring the obvious by approving Newcastle's takeover. They accepted that the KSA would not be controlling the club when the Saudi Sovereign Public Investment Fund (PIF), chaired by Mohammad bin Salman, provided them with documents pinky swearing that the state would not be involved.

Newcastle have bought back the land behind one of the stands that Ashley sold which would allow for expansion. But still only to about 60,000 which is far too small (there's 30,000 on the waiting list apparently).

So i dont really see the endgame. That being said if there is any way to stay at SJP they should definitely do it. 

On the radio this afternoon, the experts seemed quite sure that Man City are going to get hammered over these financial irregularities. In a number of ways.

The other clubs in the PL are apparently furious. They all want their pound of flesh. And remember, these clubs ARE the Premier League.

The clubs that lost out on titles and CL qualification will most likely be seeking redress in the courts. 

City will probably be relegated, but to where? Will the Championship even have them? The experts talked about Rangers going down three divisions for financial irregularities that were nowhere near as heinous as Man City's. 

Darren Bent said that every single player in that dressing room will be on to their agents. Are they going to have their medals stripped? Where will they be next season?

If and when City are relegated, these players become distressed assets, being sold for knock down prices. And none of them want that. The manager will probably fuck off, too. 

They also said it is in Man City's interests to get this over and done as quickly as possible. They are going to be punished, so best to take their medicine and move on.

Archived