Football: Fever Pitch

Raja

8 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Milan-Spurs in the CL in few days looks like a borefest waiting to happen.

I'm interested to see how Conte's system, which is a clearly designed to be played in Italy, works against an Italian team.

10 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I'm interested to see how Conte's system, which is a clearly designed to be played in Italy, works against an Italian team.

Pioli switched to 3-5-2 for the Milan derby to mirror Inter last week and he failed miserably. They didn't get a single shot on target the whole game. Inter dominated the first half, got only one goal, but they slowed down in the second and just managed the lead without any big trouble. Yesterday I didn't watch the game but seems like Milan played 3-4-2-1 and there were rumours they'll continue to play 3-5-2 or some hybrid of it at least for a few more games. So I wouldn't be surprised if they play 3-5-2 on Tuesday. They are in a terrible form, I think worse even than Spurs and Conte knows Milan well.

Still, it's the Champions League and it's unpredictable. Will be hard not to watch PSG-Bayern instead tbh but I'll be switching channels from time to time for sure. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'd probably look bored off my tits and be swinging my 5 iron at all the dumb twats chanting USA USA and 'get in the hole'. 

Excellent result Leicester. Well done. 

Toney must have had a couple of grand on himself to score the equaliser. 

I think you just found a way to make golf somewhat interesting.

Swinging the clubs at 12 dumb twats, before shoving them into their holes.

I don't care whether PGA or LIV start to adopt those rule changes, but that I might actually find watchable.

Apparently toney's goal had an ofsside in the build up?

Need to defend better than we did on a lot of those second balls & headers.

Also, bring the World cup added time to the PL please, as long as refs refuse to use the available tools to punish time wasting. Brentford had people going down every 2 seconds in the last 10 mins, but predictably the ref did nothing.

57 minutes ago, Raja said:

Apparently toney's goal had an ofsside in the build up?

Need to defend better than we did on a lot of those second balls & headers.

Also, bring the World cup added time to the PL please, as long as refs refuse to use the available tools to punish time wasting. Brentford had people going down every 2 seconds in the last 10 mins, but predictably the ref did nothing.

Yea, one guy was offsides blocking off Saliba which freed up Toney for initial header. Another guy was sitting offsides but didn't seem to impact the play. Honestly, felt kinda week. I would have been super upset of Arsenal scored a goal and that was taken away.

Agreed completely on World Cup time keeping. I think of the last 8 minutes of extra time that ended up getting added, there was less than 1 minute of actual game play.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

Yea, one guy was offsides blocking off Saliba which freed up Toney for initial header. Another guy was sitting offsides but didn't seem to impact the play.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I haven't seen Toney's goal, but with our goal vs City, the standard for 'interfering with play' has been set reallllllly high.

Make it make sense, its not even the interfering with play dude, it's literally the guy that crossed it

I mean, that was before VAR. I'm sympathetic to decisons like those costing points before VAR, but with it there really is no excuse when it is *directly* before the goal. Surely VAR would have a standard operating procedure to check actions right before the goal as opposed to just the one action that Mason seems to have focused on.

It's no use not losing, drawing 5 out of our last 6 is really putting our top 4 in jeopardy. Thankfully spurs keep being spursy. 

We really need Bruno back badly. Games with him this season won 10, drew 7, without him drew 4, lost 1. 

We should have broken the bank for Madison in January. 

5 hours ago, Raja said:

I mean, that was before VAR. I'm sympathetic to decisons like those costing points before VAR, but with it there really is no excuse when it is *directly* before the goal. Surely VAR would have a standard operating procedure to check actions right before the goal as opposed to just the one action that Mason seems to have focused on.

Of course it should.  VAR is implemented in a ridiculously pedantic way that slows down the game without adding any value, all so that it cannot undermine the referees.  VAR was consulted in detail to decide VVD was offside but ignored the reckless, career-threatening foul on him by Pickford.  Never mind all the armpit offside against Liverpool while they lost the title by a single point.

Arsenal finally have high stakes now but this inept and unaccountable officiating has been costing titles for a long time. 

Yesterday was a very poor day for VAR. Nobody even mentioned that Chelsea was denied one of the most blatant, stonewall penalties you're likely to see. VAR took just a few seconds to bottle that one and then inexplicably spent about 5 minutes on Soucek's very clearly offside goal. The implementation of VAR in England is in complete shambles.

For offsides at least, they should be using the semi-automated offside technology that was used at the WC and is being used in the CL. Unacceptable that the richest football league in the world is still relying on a twat with a ruler to determine offsides when a vastly more accurate system is already in use.

Archived