Football: Fever Pitch

Raja

Martyn Ziegler reported in The Times today that the case against City could take up to 4 years. According to some sports lawyers, the number of breaches (115 over 14 years) City are charged with makes the case incredibly complex. One of the UK's top sports lawyers (Nick De Marco) who worked on the FFP cases involving Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County says that in both those cases there were only charges of 2 breaches covering 2 years and the cases took about 18 months.

Another sports lawyer (Stefan Borson) believes that it will be very difficult for the Premier League to prove this scale of wrongdoing - but I should also mention that Borson has previously worked with Man City as a financial adviser.

I assume the Sunday game will be just as full-on chaosball, but hopefully we at least start Rashford central or left coz he was so much better after he moved off the right. 

Sancho was really good after he came on, not sure if he's ready for a start but would be nice if he is.

From The Telegraph article:

The European Super League backers have revealed today that they want to launch a new version of the project that crashed two years ago: a multi-division competition of 60 to 80 teams with no permanent members, and a minimum of 14 games per club, per season.

The announcement was made in various European newspapers by A22, the Madrid-based sister company of the Super League (ESL), and timed to coincide with a new push from the three remaining rebels Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus to continue their battle with UEFA.

A22 claim that the new project is a result of detailed conversations with clubs around Europe on the financial problems facing them. For the past few months A22 and the ESL have focused their attacks on the wealth of the Premier League, its dominance of the transfer market and the effect that has on other European leagues with less lucrative television deals. There are no details yet on how the original 60 to 80 teams would be constituted or how they would drop out of the proposed competition to make way for new clubs.

21 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The new plan for the champions league group stage next year are the worst thing i've ever seen, ever. 

Worse than 3 team group stages and extra teams in the next World Cup?

"The club proved they were completely innocent," said Guardiola.

No, Pep. You didn't. You failed to cooperate with the investigation. You got hit with a massive fine, and only escaped getting thrown out of the CL because your bosses bribed the beaks at CAS.

Hopefully the veneer fades off Guardiola a bit. He's somehow managed to convince a good number of people that he's a bastion of footballing integrity when he was a drug cheat as a player. Now he happily and vociferously defends the rampant cheating of abhorrent owners pretending that Man Cheaty are the victims because they give him a blank cheque and big wages (probably a huge chunk of which is being paid under the table).

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In other news, are the bookies already odds on Klopp not being in charge of Liverpool next season?

He's currently fifth favourite for the Sack Race at around 12/1.

Pep has this week gone from 1000/1 outsider to 4/1 second favourite after Nathan Jones.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Hopefully the veneer fades off Guardiola a bit. He's somehow managed to convince a good number of people that he's a bastion of footballing integrity when he was a drug cheat as a player. Now he happily and vociferously defends the rampant cheating of abhorrent owners pretending that Man Cheaty are the victims because they give him a blank cheque and big wages (probably a huge chunk of which is being paid under the table).

I remember they suspended him for doping while in Brescia

Guardiola won't get sacked, he could resign in a pearl clutching attempt, Klopp not surviving this season, that I can see happening.

Anyway, wanted to post something else.

La Liga Boss has reacted to the latest reincarnation of the Super League in an op ed over at the kicker.

I will provide a translation in my next post. Yes, you are welcome, a small like or something as sign of appreciation is still appreciated (not for this post but for the one once the translation is done)

Gonna take me a bit so stay tuned or come back in 30-60 minutes.

37 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Guardiola won't get sacked, he could resign in a pearl clutching attempt, Klopp not surviving this season, that I can see happening.

Klopp is almost certain to go. 

And while many people are understandably suggesting City will face no worthwhile punishment, that is not the impression I've been getting listening to my regular footy podcasts.

Also, you don't have to get sacked to win the bookie's Sack Race. 

Javier Tebas is also a knob. He keeps pretending that he's a champion of the little guy when he's just another hypocritical shithead. He forced the CVC deal down the throats of almost all LaLiga clubs because he was getting a kickback. He keeps crying about the Premier League but has fuck all to say about Peter Lim deliberately and maliciously destroying Valencia.

Archived