Football: Fever Pitch

Raja

Best half of football from Liverpool for a while. They still aren’t quite firing on all cylinders but at least the intensity was good. Also helped that Everton, in trying to be compact, are leaving Alexander-Arnold and Salah in quite bit of space, which is fairly unusual these days.

Everton a little unlucky to concede the goal off pretty much their best moment of the half I suppose.

Lots of problems, but biggest for me is that we're struggling to get Simms involved at all. For all I know he may develop into a solid PL striker, but he's not able to hold up play alone, and that means we don't have anyone to keep the ball high and we're reduced to go for the counter.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Bajetic has been really good tonight, and mostly since he’s gotten into the team really. It’s been a terrible season but we might at least have a bit of a find there.

I think he shows promise but when an inexperienced and not particularly physical (yet) 18yr old is improving your MF at this level, then it’s probably more likely that the MF was broken than he’s a generational talent.  But hopefully he continues to develop and all this play time is a positive rather than over-playing him.

14 posts left in this thread, which have saved you from a footballing thread named:

Oh when the Saints bring Marsch in.

Count your blessings. 

Also hot take, had Klopp lost, it very likely would've been his last season at Anfield. They are by no means out of the woods yet. So let's see, whether this a genuine attempt to salvage something from their season, or just another step forward in preparation foe a new setback.

Is the Premier League finally doing something to hold refs accountable for their mistakes? Wow, I never thought I'd see the day. It would be better if they'd bring refs up to (or at least closer to) the level required, but at least it's something.

10 minutes ago, baxus said:

Is the Premier League finally doing something to hold refs accountable for their mistakes? Wow, I never thought I'd see the day. It would be better if they'd bring refs up to (or at least closer to) the level required, but at least it's something.

We'll see. A weekend off and then Mason right back at it won't do shit. And it certainly won't bring back the points lost due to his incompetence. 

If Arsenal lose, I see no path to them winning the title, conversely if City lose I could still see them closing the gap.  

I hope we rest some players for Liverpool this weekend in prep for the League Cup final, I'd far rather win a trophy than qualify for the CL (lets be honest, we will get absolutely humped, we don't have anywhere strong enough of a squad to compete on multiple fronts). 

Newcastle will spend more money to have a deeper squad if they qualify for the CL or even the EL.

It's rather obvious that qualifying for the CL is going to be top priority. The additional revenue will give more leeway wrt the upcoming squad cost rules and CL qualification will make it easier to attract better players.

Newcastle only have 17 more matches to play this season over 3.5 months (that's an easy schedule compared to the teams around you). The current squad should be able to cope with that without needing to put out a second string against Liverpool.

ETA. Newcastle already have a huge advantage in the cup final anyway. United have been playing a match on average every 3 days since after the WC and we had more players involved in the latter stages of the WC too. And will be coming off playing Barcelona on Thursday ahead of the final on Sunday. Our squad is much more stretched and probably already fatigued.

Archived