Football: Fever Pitch

Raja

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Sancho is... who the fuck knows what's going on with him.

Sancho's back in full training and I think I saw that ETH suggested there's a chance he'll play against Reading. Though fuck knows what he's gonna look like. 

In any case yeah, I hope ETH isn't doing the thing with Pellistri where he promises a player more time to head off the exit but is just lying. I'd expect him to be too good a man-manager to try that shit but you never know. He did seem to enjoy Pellistri's performance in his time on in midweek, so...

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Leicester did.

For one season. The other two seasons, they imploded in the home stretch and failed to make top 4 (Arsenal and Newcastle were not factors in the top 4 race those seasons either but presumably will be from now on). Isk's whole point was that a club could over perform their transfer spending for a season or two, but to sustain finishing in the top 4 in the PL over the medium to long term, a club has to be among the league's big spenders.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Sancho's back in full training and I think I saw that ETH suggested there's a chance he'll play against Reading. Though fuck knows what he's gonna look like.

In any case yeah, I hope ETH isn't doing the thing with Pellistri where he promises a player more time to head off the exit but is just lying. I'd expect him to be too good a man-manager to try that shit but you never know. He did seem to enjoy Pellistri's performance in his time on in midweek, so...

We've got Amad as well who might be given a chance next season. Apparently he's bossing it on loan at Sunderland. From what I've read on other sites, Sunderland fans love him and he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

Yeah, and from what I've read about him there (and the highlights seem to bear it out), he very much seems to fit the profile that ETH is so focused on with Antony. Left-footed right winger with a strong passing game, open to interact with the midfield from the right- but unlike Antony he's not shy about taking players on and driving forward. If he can translate up a level, he's got a real chance of taking the spot. 

DAZN Germany carry some Championship games, so I'm gonna have to see if I can catch a Sunderland game at some point.

Two class goals from Szoboszlai tonight.

I know I shouldn't want the Prem to drain everyone else's talent but someone should really try to bring him in. I'd say us but he'd only fit in as a direct Bruno replacement and that ain't happening any time soon I'd imagine. 

ETA. Ornstein has reported that Brighton have told Caicedo to stay away from training until the end of the transfer window. He will not be involved in their FA Cup match against Liverpool. Brighton’s position is that Caicedo is not for sale in the January transfer window and that this will not change, despite continued interest from Arsenal.

13 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

One of the things I really hate in football is when players do this. I could understand the "I'm a poor kid from <insert place> and need to take care of my family" reasoning if the player in question is playing for a team in financially weaker league  but playing in PL they are already making enough money to do that.

Also, I'm sure there's a clause in his contract that allows him to put in a transfer request so he should go for it if he's that eager to leave instead of crying on social media about it.

47 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

40mil for a forward who has 8 goals in his entire career is baffling to me. Evan Ferguson is halfway there already and he only just started.

He is English and has the haircut to prove it. That's your 40m.

16 hours ago, Consigliere said:

For one season. The other two seasons, they imploded in the home stretch and failed to make top 4 (Arsenal and Newcastle were not factors in the top 4 race those seasons either but presumably will be from now on). Isk's whole point was that a club could over perform their transfer spending for a season or two, but to sustain finishing in the top 4 in the PL over the medium to long term, a club has to be among the league's big spenders.

Obviously. On the other hand Brighton have been overperforming for a few seasons now, and if things really go their away they might actually somehow end up top four. Not the most likely scenario, admittedly, but not entirely impossible either.

31 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Obviously. On the other hand Brighton have been overperforming for a few seasons now, and if things really go their away they might actually somehow end up top four. Not the most likely scenario, admittedly, but not entirely impossible either.

Brighton have not actually been over-performing for the past few seasons. It just seems that way because they gained a reputation of playing pretty football or playing the 'proper way'. Since promotion their league finishes were 15th, 17th, 15th, 16th and 9th. Them and Newcastle got promoted together and Newcastle finished above Brighton in every season (even under Bruce) except last season, but Newcastle were just 2 points behind. Pre takeover, Newcastle were operating on a similar, if not smaller, budget than Brighton.

41 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Brighton have not actually been over-performing for the past few seasons. It just seems that way because they gained a reputation of playing pretty football or playing the 'proper way'. Since promotion their league finishes were 15th, 17th, 15th, 16th and 9th. Them and Newcastle got promoted together and Newcastle finished above Brighton in every season (even under Bruce) except last season, but Newcastle were just 2 points behind. Pre takeover, Newcastle were operating on a similar, if not smaller, budget than Brighton.

Well, playing proper football and developing/selling players for good fees makes them look proper overperformers. Well, that and that they do it with players like Pascal Groß. I mean he is not a horrible players, but clearly not the player you think of for chasing CL qualification.

Tbf, Dyche did a better job with Burnley than Potter did with Brighton.

Brighton are the more watchable team, for sure, but Dyche's work at Burnley shouldn't be derided just because of a defensive, physical approach. It ended poorly, but that was largely due to years of under investment compounded by the burden of a leveraged buyout that eventually caught up to them.

Before anyone mentions Kompany, I'd just like to remind everyone that Dyche's Burnley played very differently in the Championship than they did in the PL - they were actually an attacking side playing with a high line and pressing up the pitch.

Archived