Smaller characters that you have sympathy for

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

Torrhen Manderly. He was a loyal black for his entire life, in victory and defeat. One of the last men to stand with Rhaenyra, and she rejects his obvious good advice to go North. Then her brat of a son takes out all his resentments on Torrhen when all the man does is try to unite the broken realm and help his isolated king get out of his own miserable self-piteous attitude. And instead that king spits in his face by disrespecting him, firing him and cancelling all his plans in one fell swoop. 

Nimble Dick. 

When we first meet him he seems to be a dodgy smartarse, and given the fact that Brienne is not the best judge of character I was genuinely worried for her when she embarked on that journey w/ Nimble Dick. 
But in the end he was loyal, he fought beside her and lost his life in the process. There’s also the fact that he’s just hilarious. 

“Why would I lie?” she asked him. “Every place has its local heroes. Where I come from, the singers sing of Ser Galladon of Morne, the Perfect Knight.”
Ser Gallawho of What?” He snorted. “Never heard o’ him. Why was he so bloody perfect?”
 “Ser Galladon was a champion of such valor that the Maiden herself lost her heart to him. She gave him an enchanted sword as a token of her love. The Just Maid, it was called. No common sword could check her, nor any shield withstand her kiss. Ser Galladon bore the Just Maid proudly, but only thrice did he unsheathe her. He would not use the Maid against a mortal man, for she was so potent as to make any fight unfair.”
Crabb thought that was hilarious. “The Perfect Knight? The Perfect Fool, he sounds like. What’s the point o’ having some magic sword if you don’t bloody well use it?” “Honor,” she said. “The point is honor.”
That only made him laugh the louder. “Ser Clarence Crabb would have wiped his hairy arse with your Perfect Knight, m’lady. If they’d ever have met, there’d be one more bloody head sitting on the shelf
at the Whispers, you ask me. ‘I should have used the magic sword,’ it’d be saying to all the other heads. ‘I should have used the bloody sword’.”
Brienne could not help but smile. “Perhaps,” she allowed, “but Ser Galladon was no fool. Against a foe eight feet tall mounted on an aurochs, he might well have unsheathed the Just Maid. He used her once to slay a dragon, they say.”
Nimble Dick was unimpressed. “Crackbones fought a dragon too, but he didn’t need no magic sword. He just tied its neck in a knot, so every time it breathed fire it roasted its own arse.”

4 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

And Tyrion was quite happy about that too

Of course he was. Even earlier on when he’s portrayed in a more sympathetic light, his true colours sometimes come through.

The one who gets me is Pia the little woman Qyburn sends to Jamie when he is at Harrenhal.  Sure she is a bed warmer, but she is so naïve and star struck and just sweet.  Jamie meets her later again at Harrenhal to find that monster Gregor has bashed her teeth in with his mailed fist and she cries and cowers, but still turns to Jamie.  She just rips my stinking heart out.  

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Of course he was. Even earlier on when he’s portrayed in a more sympathetic light, his true colours sometimes come through.

I did think it was a bit odd when I read that for the first time. I could understand Tyrion being satisfied with the death of enemies of his house but him being so gleeful about the death of an innocent peasant woman just because she couldn't give him a room or stand up to multiple armed guardsmen seemed very vicious. Of course then I read the later books and now it doesn't seem so out of character.

55 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Nimble Dick. 

When we first meet him he seems to be a dodgy smartarse, and given the fact that Brienne is not the best judge of character I was genuinely worried for her when she embarked on that journey w/ Nimble Dick. 
But in the end he was loyal, he fought beside her and lost his life in the process. There’s also the fact that he’s just hilarious. 

“Why would I lie?” she asked him. “Every place has its local heroes. Where I come from, the singers sing of Ser Galladon of Morne, the Perfect Knight.”
Ser Gallawho of What?” He snorted. “Never heard o’ him. Why was he so bloody perfect?”
 “Ser Galladon was a champion of such valor that the Maiden herself lost her heart to him. She gave him an enchanted sword as a token of her love. The Just Maid, it was called. No common sword could check her, nor any shield withstand her kiss. Ser Galladon bore the Just Maid proudly, but only thrice did he unsheathe her. He would not use the Maid against a mortal man, for she was so potent as to make any fight unfair.”
Crabb thought that was hilarious. “The Perfect Knight? The Perfect Fool, he sounds like. What’s the point o’ having some magic sword if you don’t bloody well use it?” “Honor,” she said. “The point is honor.”
That only made him laugh the louder. “Ser Clarence Crabb would have wiped his hairy arse with your Perfect Knight, m’lady. If they’d ever have met, there’d be one more bloody head sitting on the shelf
at the Whispers, you ask me. ‘I should have used the magic sword,’ it’d be saying to all the other heads. ‘I should have used the bloody sword’.”
Brienne could not help but smile. “Perhaps,” she allowed, “but Ser Galladon was no fool. Against a foe eight feet tall mounted on an aurochs, he might well have unsheathed the Just Maid. He used her once to slay a dragon, they say.”
Nimble Dick was unimpressed. “Crackbones fought a dragon too, but he didn’t need no magic sword. He just tied its neck in a knot, so every time it breathed fire it roasted its own arse.”

Hard not to love Nimble Dick.  An epic minor character!

7 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

The one who gets me is Pia the little woman Qyburn sends to Jamie when he is at Harrenhal.  Sure she is a bed warmer, but she is so naïve and star struck and just sweet.  Jamie meets her later again at Harrenhal to find that monster Gregor has bashed her teeth in with his mailed fist and she cries and cowers, but still turns to Jamie.  She just rips my stinking heart out.  

Oh Pia! :crying:

6 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I do wonder what her ultimate fate will be.

Things seem to be looking up for her.  And with Chekhov's whip marks on her back, I'm guessing she will be around for a while.  

A trip to Braavos looks likely.  Which means a possible meeting with the real Arya.  And the clues on her torture lead back to Littlefinger.  I think we'll see quite a bit of her.

Archived