Smaller characters that you have sympathy for

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

The one who gets me is Pia the little woman Qyburn sends to Jamie when he is at Harrenhal.  Sure she is a bed warmer, but she is so naïve and star struck and just sweet.  Jamie meets her later again at Harrenhal to find that monster Gregor has bashed her teeth in with his mailed fist and she cries and cowers, but still turns to Jamie.  She just rips my stinking heart out.  

At least she has Peck now. Hopefully he doesn’t mistreat or abandon her :(

20 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I have learned to trust nor hope for any happiness in ASOIAF, but thank you for that brief solace. 

Well GRRM doesn’t do it without reason for the most part. I hope they are minor enough that they slip through the cracks. The only peril I see them facing is the upcoming possible Red Wedding 2: Electric Bugaloo

17 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I felt sympathy for myself when Nimble Dick died. I really enjoy Brienne's chapters of Feast and reject all of the 'meandering around because there's nowhere to go' criticisms. I would have enjoyed more of it.

Ditto!

1 hour ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

Well GRRM doesn’t do it without reason for the most part. I hope they are minor enough that they slip through the cracks. The only peril I see them facing is the upcoming possible Red Wedding 2: Electric Bugaloo

At least she'll be well prepped for the emotional battery and public humiliation round.

4 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Innkeeper Masha Heddle. Killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There was nothing she could do.

That would have been my pick too.  Her murder is our first direct introduction of Tywin Lannister, solidifying his role as the (in my opinion) top villain of the first three books.  And Tyrion's celebratory reaction to seeing that his deplorable father took the inn (knowing what it would mean for its innocent keeper) was the moment I started to hate Tyrion.

7 hours ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

For me Androw Farman takes the cake. I don’t agree with what he did, but I just feel bad for him, from the bottom of my heart. He was put in an unwinnable situation by his sister and his life was just awful. 

When I saw the title I thought "Bonifer Hasty".  But on reading your post, I realize "have sympathy for" means "feel bad for".  And I don't feel bad for Bonifer Hasty.  I just think he's kinda cool; and I know that quite alot of people hate him because religion.

In the "feel bad for" category, I would name Shae.  And not just because of what Tyrion does at the end, but because of their entire relationship.  Not sure if things have changed, but there was a time when the prevailing opinion, at least from the once-more-numerous Tyrion fans, was that she deserved no sympathy and basically had it coming.

6 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

In the "feel bad for" category, I would name Shae.  And not just because of what Tyrion does at the end, but because of their entire relationship.  Not sure if things have changed, but there was a time when the prevailing opinion, at least from the once-more-numerous Tyrion fans, was that she deserved no sympathy and basically had it coming.

She's stuck between a rock and a hard place the whole time. If she refuses Tyrion, she's in trouble. If she refuses Tywin, she's in trouble. I think Tyrion either didn't understand the duress she was under, didn't care, or expected her to die/put herself in harm's way for him.

6 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

She's stuck between a rock and a hard place the whole time. If she refuses Tyrion, she's in trouble. If she refuses Tywin, she's in trouble. I think Tyrion either didn't understand the duress she was under, didn't care, or expected her to die/put herself in harm's way for him.

Tyrion is not stupid . he didn't care. if there's one thing the Lannister siblings have in common, they don't try to put themselves in other people's shoes. especially if they are lowborn. 

I hate going into the children because those horrors really are horrors.  I think the child I would most want to hug and protect and erase her story because she was so very little and saw it all coming was Rhaenys, Elia's daughter.  Boy that's a hard one to read.  

There's honestly so many.

Weasel and her escape hit me like a ton of bricks when I read Clash, because I knew she probably died soon after. Nimble Dick is another one. I distrusted the guy, although he was charismatic and, in the end, it turned out he was truthful. Felt bad for him. 

Jeyne Poole and Aeron with the rusted hinge come to mind too, but I do not think they really count as smaller characters at this point in the story. 

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I agree about Andrew but I also felt sorry for Rhaena Targaryen . she had terrible luck with parents , siblings , uncle , great aunt and lovers ! 

I can have sympathy for her as well. She shouldn’t have done the things she did either but she was definitely a victim most of her life.

Archived