History That Inspired ASOIAF

The Bard of Banefort

Tywin Lannister is a mix of Pope Alexander Borgia and Edward I of England.

GRRM has admitted that Stannis is partly inspired by the Roman Emperor Tiberius, but I also see elements of Richard III in him as well.

The Dothraki are a mix of Mongol, Plains Indigenous, and Scythians. 

It would also be too obvious to point out that the Iron Islands seem to be a loose adaptation of ancient Norse society.

I know other commenters here disagree with me, but Valyrian and Ghiscari chattel slavery seems a lot closer to the translatlantic slave trade than to more ancient examples of slavery. 

Perhaps it's no coincidence then that GRRM's depiction of Volantis in ADWD calls to mind his characterization of New Orleans in Fevre Dream

The Accursed Kings, a series of historical novels based on the tribulations of the French monarchy in the late 13th to most of the 14th century, was a massive inspiration for A Song of Ice and Fire according to Martin. Tywin, for instance, bears resemblance to Philip IV of France, a blond, icy, unsmiling ruler who brought France to great heights only for his daughter to undo all of his gains. Speaking of which, Cersei bears some resemblance to Queen Isabella of England, consort of Edward II. Like Cersei, Isabella had an unhappy marriage to her husband Edward, who favored others, leading to Isabella/Cersei openly plotting against him. And like Cersei, Isabella instigated a plot against a trio of women by framing them for adultery.

I’m currently listening to The Wars of the Roses by Dan Jones, and he’s pretty sympathetic to Margaret of Anjou, who is often compared to Cersei. He doesn’t give credence to any of the rumors of infidelity, and although he talks about how Margaret played favorites and antagonized Richard of York, he also suggests that Richard rebelled in part because he didn’t like that Margaret, a woman, now held more power than him.

Is Henry VI a parallel to Baelor the Blessed? Even if Henry was “mad,” it doesn’t sound like he was uncommonly cruel like Aerys was. And he certainly was pious.

Based on what I’ve read about Richard III, there’s a strong resemblance between him and Stannis. I think Stannis is a good explanation for the conundrum that Richardians bring up, which is how a loyal brother could become so corrupted. As we’ve been seeing with Stannis, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

11 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I know other commenters here disagree with me, but Valyrian and Ghiscari chattel slavery seems a lot closer to the translatlantic slave trade than to more ancient examples of slavery. 

Perhaps it's no coincidence then that GRRM's depiction of Volantis in ADWD calls to mind his characterization of New Orleans in Fevre Dream

Martin associates slavery with decadence, decay, and rot, behind a facade of wealth.

While I mostly agree, I think one can also see similarities with slavery in the last century and a half of the Roman Republic.  Slave trading became very big business for Roman generals and businessmen.

14 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

“Bed slaves” and slave soldiers were never exactly a part(or at least important part) of that though. For that you’ll have to look at white slavery, and neither was educated slaves.

16 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Apparently, most scholars believe that the affair did actually happen. Which is rather fascinating.

Yes.  The ghastly outcome of the whole affair (the D'Aunay brothers tortured, gelded,and flayed, the women forced to watch, with their heads shaved, before being confined to an underground prison) basically killed off the whole tradition of courtly love, in France.

3 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

“Bed slaves” and slave soldiers were never exactly a part(or at least important part) of that though. For that you’ll have to look at white slavery, and neither was educated slaves.

Yeah, and other niches like the Unsullied child soldier trade. He borrows from everywhere, but the basic nature of the system and the moral/narrative drama it brings feels more tied to the TAST.